No announcement yet.

New York State Fire Test March 5th 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would this be the same test the Westchester Fire Dept is giving? They are on the same date but the announcemen was made a while ago & it seemed to be specifically for Westchester. I paid the $50 to Westchester so if this is the same exam and you want to crossfile is there a fee that large for every dept you want to file for? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by HopefulFF View Post
      would this be the same test the Westchester Fire Dept is giving? They are on the same date but the announcemen was made a while ago & it seemed to be specifically for Westchester. I paid the $50 to Westchester so if this is the same exam and you want to crossfile is there a fee that large for every dept you want to file for? Thanks in advance.
      You have to pay the fee for each exam you crossfile for. I had to do that on the Sheriffs exams...I am also taking the Westchester exam along with probably 92929292838 people lol...any idea how many people they usually take in Westchester?

Comment

Originally posted by Tghockey11 View Post
        You have to pay the fee for each exam you crossfile for. I had to do that on the Sheriffs exams...I am also taking the Westchester exam along with probably 92929292838 people lol...any idea how many people they usually take in Westchester?
        Yikes, that can get to be very expensive then, especially when you consider your small chance of getting hired for a dept where you don't live. I have no idea how many they hire per year, but I'd assume it's more than the 4ish you see at the smaller depts. Just a guess on my part though.

Comment

Originally posted by HopefulFF View Post
          If it is on March 5th 2011 it is definetely the state test. $50 is the most expensive announcement I have heard of so far. $25 is the going rate for most other announcements.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
            If it is on March 5th 2011 it is definetely the state test. $50 is the most expensive announcement I have heard of so far. $25 is the going rate for most other announcements.
            it is not the state test...each county has separate exams on the 5th and the Westchester exam is for Wescthester county only...cities and towns of Rye...Peekskill etc

Comment

TG, I think your info is incorrect. The test which Westchester County gives is part of the NYS Civil Service testing, as such many municipalities use the same test, hence being able to cross file for diffrent locations. Each municipality may have you answer diffrent parts of the test, but everyone in NY State that recieves a test booklet on March 5th will be given the same test booklet. If you look at the information provided on the Exam Announcment it links to you a NY State study guide, which then tells you which parts of the exam will be used for which municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by chrome12211 View Post
                TG, I think your info is incorrect. The test which Westchester County gives is part of the NYS Civil Service testing, as such many municipalities use the same test, hence being able to cross file for diffrent locations. Each municipality may have you answer diffrent parts of the test, but everyone in NY State that recieves a test booklet on March 5th will be given the same test booklet. If you look at the information provided on the Exam Announcment it links to you a NY State study guide, which then tells you which parts of the exam will be used for which municipality.
                I know its the same exam but i was referring to the question that was asked earlier...If you signed up for the Westchester County exam and paid the $50 then that exam you take is only for Westchester County...You have to crossfile if you want it to count for other places and pay their fee also...I did this for Sheriffs and Corrections exam. Sorry for the confusion i am new to the site

Comment

Ok I see what you are saying, that is correct you must pay the fee to each municipality to take the test. FYI if you happen to take the extra sections which are not for your test they will not score those questions.

Comment

Originally posted by chrome12211 View Post
                    Ok I see what you are saying, that is correct you must pay the fee to each municipality to take the test. FYI if you happen to take the extra sections which are not for your test they will not score those questions.
                    You are right on that one! Which is bull**** in my opinion. If you can't follow the directions for which questions to answer, your test should be thrown out! I remember walking out of the Syracuse test site in 2009 looking at all the idiots bubbling answers for questions in the 100's when they were only instructed to answer 1-90 or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                      You are right on that one! Which is bull**** in my opinion. If you can't follow the directions for which questions to answer, your test should be thrown out! I remember walking out of the Syracuse test site in 2009 looking at all the idiots bubbling answers for questions in the 100's when they were only instructed to answer 1-90 or something like that.
                      That is good to know because i never have taken a firefighter exam before. I would be that guy ha. Must be different from the other civil service exams i have taken

Comment

Originally posted by Tghockey11 View Post
                        That is good to know because i never have taken a firefighter exam before. I would be that guy ha. Must be different from the other civil service exams i have taken
                        Rule #1 for civil service test taking: Read the directions completely and thoroghly.

Comment

Doesn't seem like theres to many exams this year in NY,Ive only found a few out of all the county websites and their pretty much all listed previously

Comment

New Rochelle test: http://trk.cp20.com/Tracking/t.c?FSgZ-Dhl4-RazM23

Comment

Ah, this residency is killing me! Are there any places besides Westchester that do not require residency? I know even if it is not required, people from the city or town will prob get preferential treatment during the hiring process and that's how it should be. Just stinks to see so little options if you don't live in the testing city.

Does anyone have a study guide recommendation? So far I've only signed up for the Westchester exam, and they recommended a book "Guide to taking the examination for Fire Fighter (entry level)". I was wondering if anyone else would recommend this book or another book in addition/in replacement of this one. Thanks and best of luck to everyone else going through the application process.

Comment

yeah residency requirements hinder a lot of good applicants. is there any way around it though?!?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X