Norfolk fire - rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norfolk fire - rescue

Hi, I am looking into NFR and I was wondering what their physical fitness test requirements are in the academy. Also, will my 2 years experience give me an edge on the other applicants?
    I know the academy gives you EMT-E, and FF1 and 2, and other stuf as well.
    Are you allowed to pick Engine, Medic or Ladder? How does that work?
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

If your idiocy displayed on here is any indication of how you act in person, I doubt you have a snowballs chance in hell.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
      Hi, I am looking into NFR and I was wondering what their physical fitness test requirements are in the academy. Also, will my 2 years experience give me an edge on the other applicants?

You are looking into Norfolk, VA eh?

Did you look in here for an active thread?

Here its is. http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111667

They have already announced, tested and are in a process of getting ready to hire for a class.

What 2 years experience do you have and where? What type of certifications do you have?

IF you were to score high enough and IF you were to pass everything and IF you were placed in the Recruit Class and pass all the courses and attainted he certifications, you would be assigned where they want you to be. More than likely Engine 11 or 14. You don't get a choice where you are assigned out of recruit school. You are on probation and must pass that to keep your job.

Don't worry you be riding the gut bus plenty of times.

Comment

You are a day late and a dollar short. For this current process anyway. They will probably test again in 2012 or 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnee View Post

They have already announced, tested and are in a process of getting ready to hire for a class.

What 2 years experience do you have and where? What type of certifications do you have?

IF you were to score high enough and IF you were to pass everything and IF you were placed in the Recruit Class and pass all the courses and attainted he certifications, you would be assigned where they want you to be. More than likely Engine 11 or 14. You don't get a choice where you are assigned out of recruit school. You are on probation and must pass that to keep your job.

Thank You for helping me on my quest to become a career firefighter.
          Ladder One
          First Due!

Comment

Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
            I am and have been with Norfolk for about 6 years. I honestly dont remember the physical test but it is not that hard at all. The experiance might help, but not a whole lot. As far as picking the apparatus, not at all. Expect to ride the medic all the time as a rookie and still continue riding it after probation. You will ride both engine and ladder. There are no true engine/ladder assignments unless you are an operator. Also depends on what station. I have been at a station with just an engine for most of my time so I dont ride the ladder much unless I fill in or do overtime. How this helps a little. Keep working at it!! NFR is a great department. Very busy, and good people. But there are good people everywhere. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by sergijm View Post
              I am and have been with Norfolk for about 6 years. I honestly dont remember the physical test but it is not that hard at all. The experiance might help, but not a whole lot. As far as picking the apparatus, not at all. Expect to ride the medic all the time as a rookie and still continue riding it after probation. You will ride both engine and ladder. There are no true engine/ladder assignments unless you are an operator. Also depends on what station. I have been at a station with just an engine for most of my time so I dont ride the ladder much unless I fill in or do overtime. How this helps a little. Keep working at it!! NFR is a great department. Very busy, and good people. But there are good people everywhere. Good luck.

Hey Pal, If Norfolk is so good, as you say, why are you applying elsewhere???

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118355

I happen to know that it is a good department and the new Chief will run it properly.

Comment

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118355

I happen to know that it is a good department and the new Chief will run it properly.

Hey PAL! What do you care? Yeah im applying elsewhere. Not because I dont like Norfolk though.

Comment

Hey Fireguy, You will end up anywhere. You will go to a station that is deemed a "training station". Those stations with engine, ladder and medic. We do have back up training stations as well. You will rotate every 4 months during your first year on probation. So yes you may end up at 11 or 14 but it could only be for a few months. If a station falls as your last one on the rotation, that is where you stay.

Comment

Maybe his family needs/wants to move for some reason. What's it matter? I could see if the thread you posted says, I HATE Norfolk, but it clearly doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by ritchey555 View Post
                      Maybe his family needs/wants to move for some reason. What's it matter? I could see if the thread you posted says, I HATE Norfolk, but it clearly doesn't.

NFD will probably be happy he is leaving. If you can't make it there and like it in that area, you can't make it anywhere else.

If won't make any difference to Chief Wise if he leaves, he has new folks going on board in January that will take his place on the bus in due time.
                      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                        NFD will probably be happy he is leaving. If you can't make it there and like it in that area, you can't make it anywhere else.

If won't make any difference to Chief Wise if he leaves, he has new folks going on board in January that will take his place on the bus in due time.
                        Why the negativity man. NFD will probably be happy huh? I have a quite a lot of pride in my dept and company! Station 2!! Its not about me "not making it". I do just fine here and I do a good job. I am choosing to possibly relocate for family reasons. Who are you capt old timer? Did you work for Norfolk, or still there?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

I have an idea, why dont you stop by station 2 for lunch one day and you can see the pride me, and the guys in my company have in our dept and station. Or you can just come talk to me in person and i will give you a nice explanation of why I might be leaving. Dont assume anything, you make a fool out of yourself.

Comment

Thank sergijim
                            Ladder One
                            First Due!

Comment

Hey Sergijm,
                              Do you have any good ideas on an affordable, safe area where I should look for an apartment? Would greatly be appreciated. Anyone for that matter as well.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X