Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lwright82
    replied
    I am taking the test for the Tacoma Community College paramedic program tomorrow. That is my top choice, so I really hope I do well on the test! If anyone has taken this test or made it to the interview I would appreciate any tips you may have

Leave a comment:

• GoCougs
    replied
    Originally posted by lwright82 View Post
    How long is the NCTI program, including internship? Do you get your para cert before or after the internship?
    The washington class (which is in Vancouver) is roughly 14 months if you power through your cliniclas and get a busy internship location.

The oregon class is roughly 18 months.

The WA class does a 8 week A&P while the Oregon class does a 2 term 6 month A&P class. If you want to work in Oregon you need the whole A&P series (which is 3 parts at PCC or Mount Hood CC). WA doesn't require A&P. The extra hours of A&P helps get the hours for the AAS

Leave a comment:

• lwright82
    replied
    Originally posted by GoCougs View Post
    You have to have all the other requirements done prior to the start of NCTI. I'm am finishing my internship this month through them and we had to have everything done prior to the start
    How long is the NCTI program, including internship? Do you get your para cert before or after the internship?

Leave a comment:

• GoCougs
    replied
    Originally posted by johnwemt View Post
    One more question. I've looked at the NCTI program websites and it looks like for both programs you only take A+P and then go straight into the program without taking any more pre-requisties like what OSHU and PCC require (like algebra, writing, pyschology..). Is that right? How can they still give an AAS if the program is only one year long?
    You have to have all the other requirements done prior to the start of NCTI. I'm am finishing my internship this month through them and we had to have everything done prior to the start

Leave a comment:

• larsen2430
    replied
    One more question. I've looked at the NCTI program websites and it looks like for both programs you only take A+P and then go straight into the program without taking any more pre-requisties like what OSHU and PCC require (like algebra, writing, pyschology..). Is that right? How can they still give an AAS if the program is only one year long?
    Well a degree is not based off how many years you are in school its based off how many classes you take. For instances you could get a BA in a year, you just have to take a crap load of classes at once.

Leave a comment:

• johnwemt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lwright82
    replied
    I am excited to see what program I get into and then to get started! I also believe you get out, what you put in.

Leave a comment:

• GoCougs
    replied
    Im happy its done. I really enjoyed the instructor of the Vancouver class. It was one of the reasons why I went to that class and not the Oregon class. No one is ever going to be 100% happy with how the school/class is ran. I believe where ever you go, you will find some things you like and others that you don't like. But that is with everything

Leave a comment:

• lwright82
    replied
    Wow from Bellingham?!? That is actually where I livenow, but would be moving in with my brother while going to school in Vancouver or Tacoma. I have applied to the Central and Tacoma Community College programs already. I am also in the process of applying to NCTI and am looking for feedback on the program....?

Leave a comment:

• GoCougs
    replied
    Originally posted by lwright82 View Post
    Did you live in Vancouver while going to NCTI? I am wondering if it would be possible to live in Olympia while going to NCTI Vancouver. I know paramedic school is intense and extremely time consuming, but with no financial aid I am hoping to stay in Olympia and work part time. I might be asking too much!
    During our class, we had one guy drive from Olympia every day for class and one from Bellingham every class tuesday and friday. Bellingham put almost 50k on his car over the last year along. Its all about how you manage your time.

Leave a comment:

• lwright82
    replied
    Did you live in Vancouver while going to NCTI? I am wondering if it would be possible to live in Olympia while going to NCTI Vancouver. I know paramedic school is intense and extremely time consuming, but with no financial aid I am hoping to stay in Olympia and work part time. I might be asking too much!

Leave a comment:

• osuman
    replied
    Are there big differences between NCTI-oregon and NCTI-washington? Is one more competitive to get into than the other
    One thing you should consider for NCTI is that their credits do NOT transfer to anywhere. They have one small accreditation (I can't remember the specific one off the top of my head) which will also prevent you from getting any school loans since FAFSA (and any bank) will not recognize this school system as legit.

If you need to take A&P or if you do not have a degree already I would recommend going to PCC or OIT - or Chemeketa if you dont mind a commute.

NCTI is great for pumping out Paramedics and their schedule is only two days a week but they seriously lack in professionalism and administrative organization (I can only speak to the milwaukie campus but they are essentially operated by the same staff).

The ONLY reason I joined NCTI was because of the deadline that I needed to get the certificate under. Many of my classmates were also disappointed with the school but all in all, if you have the money and dont need the financial aid and arent worried about transferring credits then this crappy school will get you a P patch in the end...

Leave a comment:

• TVFR9923
    replied
    Originally posted by GoCougs View Post
    It is still held a little higher then others. I personally can't see spending almost 20k for an AAS. But that is just me. Every school is going to be different and percieved differently.
    Wow, 20 grand...... I was in the last EMT 3/4 class offered in the state before they went to the national registry system (before the degree requirement). My class was $3,280.

Leave a comment:

• GoCougs
    replied
    I do realize that would probably mean a transfer service since I'm only a basic.
    Just because you are a Basic doesn't mean you will do nothing but transfers. Yes you will start out doing that since you will be new to the company, but if spots open up in a system that allows a basic to work then you would be able to do that. I currently work in Clackamas County on the 9-1-1 system as a basic

Leave a comment:

• GoCougs
    replied
    Originally posted by TVFR9923 View Post
    The other private ambulance co. in the area is Metro West Ambulance. They provide ambulance transport in Washington Co, Oregon. I don't know if they accept paramedic students or not.
    I believe that they do, I have heard some bad stories that have come from friends who did their internship with them. If you are an employee of AMR, I don't believe that Metro will allow you to do your internship with them.

Originally posted by TVFR9923 View Post
    When I was in school, the OHSU program was considered top notch. I don't know how they all compare now.
    It is still held a little higher then others. I personally can't see spending almost 20k for an AAS. But that is just me. Every school is going to be different and percieved differently.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X