Portland OR paramedic schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland OR paramedic schools?

My questions are for those who are familiar with the Portland ems and ems training. What are the options for paramedic schools in Portland and the surrounding area? More importantly, which would you recommend? Also, what are the ambulance services that serve the Portland area? I do realize that would probably mean a transfer service since I'm only a basic.
    Last edited by johnwemt; 04-23-2011, 04:01 PM.

Paramedic in Oregon is a two year degree program. Here is a link to the programs in the state, and a link to the state EMS site. I really don't have a personal recomendation for you as the one I went to isn't around anymore. You might look at the OIT program though.

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/school.shtml

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/index.shtml

Portland is mostly in Multnomah Co. and ambulance transport is provided by AMR. AMR also provides transport in most of Clackamas Co. (the suburbs to the South of Portland), and most of Clark Co. WA. (across the Columbia River from Portland in Washington State). Metro West Ambulance provides ambulance transport in Washington Co. (the suburbs to the West of Portland). Hope this helps.
    Last edited by TVFR9923; 12-11-2010, 01:45 AM. Reason: Added better geographic info.

Comment

Thanks so much, that's exactly the information I was looking for. It seems like the two big programs in portland are the OIT and portland community college: cascade campus programs. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Comment

Originally posted by johnwemt View Post
        Thanks so much, that's exactly the information I was looking for. It seems like the two big programs in portland are the OIT and portland community college: cascade campus programs. Does anyone have a suggestion?
        No problem. What part of town would you be staying in? That could possibly influence your choice.
        Last edited by TVFR9923; 12-11-2010, 06:38 PM. Reason: Add info.

Comment

In Oregon your Nationally Accredited programs are:

Chemeketa Community College - Salem, OR

National College of Technical Instruction-Oregon and (Vancouver, WA) - Milwaukie, OR

Oregon Health Sciences University - Sherwood, OR

http://www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/

I wouldn't waste my time with anything else. After 2013 NREMT won't certify anyone who didn't graduate from an Accredited school. Since the chances of you finishing an Associates program by then aren't great (some schools will only start you in the Fall semester, meaning you wouldn't start until fall '11 even if you moved to OR today), I would highly recommend not spending thousands of dollars on a non-accredited degree program.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know they were making that switch that is really good to know. I wasn't planning on starting school until fall 2011 anyway.

TVFR I'll be living in northwest portland, but I don't remember the exact neighborhood off the top of my head

Comment

Just for clarification here....being a nationally registered medic will give you more flexibilty if you move to another state but, Oregon doesn't require that you be one.

The Oregon Health Sciences University program in Sherwood is the OIT program, OIT and OHSU have partnered together for this. It is currently located at Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue's training center in Sherwood. That is the fire district I retired from. Full disclosure here.

http://www.oit.edu/portland/programs...ogram/overview

The NCTI school is at AMR's Clackamas operations center. If you end up staying in NW Portland, it would be a relativly painless shot South on I-5 to Wilsonville/Sherwood. OIT is slated to move all their operations to one big building in Wilsonville in a year or two. The travel distance would be about the same.

Comment

OHSU through OIT

NCTI. One in Milwaukie and one in Vancouver. I am currently in the clinical phase from the vancouver class

PCC (Portland Community College)

Chemeketa in Salem

OHSU, PCC, and Chemeketa all accept federal loans. NCTI DOES NOT. If that matters. Let me know if you want more information on NCTI

Comment

Are there big differences between NCTI-oregon and NCTI-washington? Is one more competitive to get into than the other?

I would like to get a job somewhere in the area after I graduate. It seems like doing clinical work in the portland area would help with that. Does one of the five programs do more ride alongs with AMR than the others? How would you rank the programs in terms of how they are viewed by potential employers in the area?

Thank you all for the help. Since I'm not from the area it's really helpful to hear how these programs are viewed locally.

Comment

Are there big differences between NCTI-oregon and NCTI-washington? Is one more competitive to get into than the other?

I would like to get a job somewhere in the area after I graduate. It seems like doing clinical work in the portland area would help with that. Does one of the five programs do more ride alongs with AMR than the others? How would you rank the programs in terms of how they are viewed by potential employers in the area?

Thank you all for the help. Since I'm not from the area it's really helpful to hear how these programs are viewed locally.
                    My medic class was waaaay back in 1994/95. My class was in Portland, but I did my ride alongs with AMR in Clark Co. Washington (Vancouver). The other private ambulance co. in the area is Metro West Ambulance. They provide ambulance transport in Washington Co, Oregon. I don't know if they accept paramedic students or not. Some schools have internships set up in busy areas across the country. These are atractive to students who want to get their ride alongs done quickly.

When I was in school, the OHSU program was considered top notch. I don't know how they all compare now. As far as employers go....I don't think they really care. They just want to see a medic cert. Once you get hired by a FD, you will more than likely go through that department's FTO program before you are allowed to work on your own as a medic any way.

Comment

Are there big differences between NCTI-oregon and NCTI-washington? Is one more competitive to get into than the other?.
                      They are the same program. The WA class has an 8 week A&P class at the start. Then you go into the medic portion. The OR class has a 3 month A&P class at the start. (This is because of the different requirements by each state. In OR you have to have an AAS or Bachelors degree to become a paramedic. So the longer A&P helps fulfill the hours needed. Of you can do a 3 part 1 year A&P class at either PCC, Mount Hood CC, or Clackamas CC.) The Instructor for the WA class is different then for the OR class. They are both ran out of the Milwaukie campus as far as business goes. The Director for NCTI is the instructor for the OR class. They both have the same requirements to get in.

The only reason that I went to the WA class, was that when I was looking at medic school for some reason the state of OR and PCC said that I would need to take a couple more classes to fulfill the AAS requirement. I have my BA already so I was not going to delay the medic school for another semester, so I decided to attended the class in WA. The good thing is, when I am done I can go the state of OR with my NREMT-P and my BA from WSU and get my OR cert no problem.

I loved the way the WA instructor interacted with us in class. Personally he taught the class better then the OR instructor did. That was another reason that I went to the WA class.

I would like to get a job somewhere in the area after I graduate. It seems like doing clinical work in the portland area would help with that. Does one of the five programs do more ride alongs with AMR than the others?.
                      In Multnomah County AMR has the main private ambulance contract. Columbia River Fire also transports with their ALS ambulances. In Clackamas County, AMR has the contract. Molalla Fire and Canby Fire departments transport their own with their ALS ambulances. In Washington County Metro West has the contract. To my knowledge they are the only ones who primarly transport.

Out of OHSU, Chemekta, PCC, NCTI-WA and NCTI-OR, where ever you choose to do your internship is where you'll do it. NCTI sometimes I believe has an easier time getting their students with AMR because they are the same company. As far as clinical times. I believe OHSU students do their hospital rotations with OHSU and Emanuel. NCTI has contracts with Emanuel, Meridian Park, Kaiser Sunnyside, Providence Portland, Salmon Creek, SW Washington Medical Center, and Mt. Hood Medical Center.

I have done at least 1 rotation at each of those hospitals except for Sunnyside.
                      How would you rank the programs in terms of how they are viewed by potential employers in the area?

Not a problem. PM me if you want more info.

Sorry that is such a long response

Comment

Originally posted by TVFR9923 View Post
                        The other private ambulance co. in the area is Metro West Ambulance. They provide ambulance transport in Washington Co, Oregon. I don't know if they accept paramedic students or not.
                        I believe that they do, I have heard some bad stories that have come from friends who did their internship with them. If you are an employee of AMR, I don't believe that Metro will allow you to do your internship with them.

Originally posted by TVFR9923 View Post
                        When I was in school, the OHSU program was considered top notch. I don't know how they all compare now.
                        It is still held a little higher then others. I personally can't see spending almost 20k for an AAS. But that is just me. Every school is going to be different and percieved differently.

Comment

I do realize that would probably mean a transfer service since I'm only a basic.
                          Just because you are a Basic doesn't mean you will do nothing but transfers. Yes you will start out doing that since you will be new to the company, but if spots open up in a system that allows a basic to work then you would be able to do that. I currently work in Clackamas County on the 9-1-1 system as a basic

Comment

Originally posted by GoCougs View Post
                            It is still held a little higher then others. I personally can't see spending almost 20k for an AAS. But that is just me. Every school is going to be different and percieved differently.
                            Wow, 20 grand...... I was in the last EMT 3/4 class offered in the state before they went to the national registry system (before the degree requirement). My class was $3,280.

Comment

Are there big differences between NCTI-oregon and NCTI-washington? Is one more competitive to get into than the other
                              One thing you should consider for NCTI is that their credits do NOT transfer to anywhere. They have one small accreditation (I can't remember the specific one off the top of my head) which will also prevent you from getting any school loans since FAFSA (and any bank) will not recognize this school system as legit.

If you need to take A&P or if you do not have a degree already I would recommend going to PCC or OIT - or Chemeketa if you dont mind a commute.

NCTI is great for pumping out Paramedics and their schedule is only two days a week but they seriously lack in professionalism and administrative organization (I can only speak to the milwaukie campus but they are essentially operated by the same staff).

The ONLY reason I joined NCTI was because of the deadline that I needed to get the certificate under. Many of my classmates were also disappointed with the school but all in all, if you have the money and dont need the financial aid and arent worried about transferring credits then this crappy school will get you a P patch in the end...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X