Paramedic or 4yr Degree first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paramedic or 4yr Degree first?

Just finished my two year degree in Fire Science, What do you guys think is more valuable to get hired? Finishing my BS Degree or attending Paramedic School? Thanks

Paramedic

What state are you in??

What is required to apply to a dept??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Southern California, but willing to move.

Comment

Paramedic First

Ditto what fire49 said.

Departments are looking for trained EMS providers first, and hose haulers second.
        "There's no such thing as a bad day,
        Some are just better than others." JFR 1914-1997

Comment

looks like some calif depts want certs up front::

and some only want cpat

excuse the cut and paste:::

Certificate/Licenses: Certificate of Completion from a California State Fire Marshal’s Office accredited fire academy, or California State Fire Marshal Firefighter 1 certification; proof of enrollment and in good standing or completion of a California State approved paramedic training program, or State of California Medical Services Authority Paramedic License are required upon application. Candidates must submit proof of passing the Los Angeles & Orange County Area Physical Ability (Biddle) Test, and *CWH written examination (*waived for Lateral). Possession and proof of a valid California Class C Driver’s License is required upon application. A California Class B Driver’s License is required prior to completion of probation and must be maintained as a condition of continued employment. Candidates must possess a California State Paramedic License with Los Angeles County accreditation upon appointment and maintain Paramedic License as a condition of continued employment. Confined Space Awareness and 24-Hour Hazardous Materials First Responder-Operational (FRO) certification must be completed within one year of appointment as a condition of employment. Education: Graduation from high school or successful certification of equivalency. Physical Effort: This position requires heavy lifting, carrying, climbing, pushing, pulling, stooping, bending, and exposure to extreme heat, flammable liquids, hazardous gases, smoke, explosions, chemicals, electrical hazards, faulty structures, inclement weather and communicable diseases.
          Desirable Qualifications
          Education/Certificates: Completion of an Associates degree in Fire Technology or other related field, and a Rescue Systems 1 Certificate.
          Last edited by fire49; 12-09-2010, 07:01 PM.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Get your 4 year degree then your paramedic

Comment

not sure about Cali, but here in Missouri..Medic no doubt do first..as for some other states I've looked at..all about the medic.
              "First In, Last Out"

Comment

As someone who did School first, I would definitly say go for your medic if you want a Fire Service job. I could have been on alot earlier had I obtained my medic first. It is usually a backdoor way into the department, you apply for a dept as a medic and and get on the list first. The % is always way more non-medics then medics so chances are much higher...on the east coast atleast

Comment

I'm cracking up right now, because anyone who suggests that you get your degree first wants less competition in the testing process!

Think about it this way...You're testing for an entry level firefighter or firefighter paramedic position...Not chief.

(The degree is extremely valuable longterm btw...Not first in the list of priorities to getting the job, however.)

Best,

Paul
                  PaulC
                  FF/EMTP
                  City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
                  gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Comment

The name of the game is EMS...not much need for the 4 yr. degree so early on in your career (congrats on the associates). Fire/Rescue is very much blue collar, the professional white hat admin stuff comes after you put some work in...much further down the line.

Good luck, Paramedic is not an easy task. Im talking about the demands of clinicals, school, tests, ride-alongs, and the overall length to do it in.
                    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

Comment

I would say paramedic. I live in California and had the same question after working a few years. I asked myself, "What will give me the best chance getting with nmy most desirable department"? For me, the answer was medic. Majority of the tests for departments in California are for paramedics. Firefighter-EMT tests even give priority to applicants with their medic. Whatever you pick your on your way.

Comment

Paramedic or a bachelor's degree? Why not get both at the same time?

UMBC offers a BS program in Emergency Health Services. There are two tracks available to choose from: Management and Paramedic.

There are other four-year paramedic programs (BS) out there as well, but living in Maryland, the UMBC one is the one I'm most familiar with. From what I understand, it's a pretty highly-respected program, too. One of the members of my station is from California and moved to MD specifically for UMBC's BS paramedic track.
                        -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

Get your Paramedic cert first. Once you get picked up most fire departments will help you with tuition assistance for a college degree. I know my department will give you up to 4K a year. Just a thought. Good luck.

Comment

Awesome replies Thank you, I'm leaning towards Medic first. I'm going to CSULA next year I'll ask about a Paramedic BS program, that's a great idea.

Comment

First of all brooks thanks for asking that I have been wondering that as well but there is a way to do both at once I am in online college that every department I asked accepts as accredited and I am fixing to start EMT-B but if anyone knows where you can go to get them all done at a faster pace then one class in spring and one in fall that would be great I am willing to move anywhere in the US.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X