starting a fire career in the Military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting a fire career in the Military

I’m 22 years old. I’m graduating in the summer from Ivy tech with my associate’s degree in Fire science. My goal is to become a firefighter/paramedic. I wanted to get some advice on trying to start my fire career in the military. I have been looking at the Navy, Navy reserve, Air force, and Air national guard or reserve. I would like to go to paramedic school too. Also, how will it work with my girlfriend if I enlist? I am planning on proposing after boot camp and A school, if I go in. I want to serve my country and gain the military experience, but I don’t know if I have waited to long to go in and still get hired on a fire dept. I know I’m still young and I would only be 27 when I get out, but I know some guys who are 32 and 33 still waiting to get hired somewhere. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you.

Hi, I'm about to turn 27 and I am meeting with a AF recruiter on Thursday. My hope is to do 4 years in the Air Force, probably in airframe maintanence to some degree or if fire fighting presents itself great but I'm not gonna hold out for it. My hope is to do my 4 years and hopefully get on FDNY not too long once I get out. Even with residency and vets credits it'll be hard to do but hopefully I'll have two more tests to give it a whirl and if it doesn't pan out I can decide if I want to be NYPD, a FF up the river somewhere or maybe another city. Ideally, I would have made this move when I was 18, but for a number of reasons this is where I am. As far as reserve goes, I don't think most departments consider that active duty military therefor any vets preference you may get per dept you wouldn't qualify for. From what all my vet friends tell me. If your gonna go, go active...reserves is alot of BS without most of the benefits. I also intend on marrying my girlfriend while I am active duty. Once you do that you will get a nontaxable housing allowance every month (somewhere around $1500 i believe). Also you almost always have to leave the barracks and live off base. Your wife could live with you wherever you are or what we intend to do is my wife would continue to live in NYC so I can keep my residency and I'll live in a tiny studio or something wherever I am.

Sorry if that was hard to read, I've been studying and hopped up on caffeine right now. Hope I answered some of your questions.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score:109
    List # XX

Comment

What state are you in now

Would not go navy for fire dept or for a newly married couple

Air force for fire dept

Sounds like you know what you want suggest get paramedic then start applying at city depts
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Also, I plan to apply all over while I am enlisted and when I'm out I'll see what my options are.
        FDNY Exam 2000
        List # XX

Comment

As far as the whole fire thing in the military I can't give you any advice. As far as the girlfriend thing goes I might be of some help.

Fours years in and two deployments later I've watched almost every relationship I've come in contact dissolve besides a few exceptions. If she's the one than by all means have at it. My experience with military towns (see: Jacksonville,NC) has been nothing but horrible. Scummy wives, Scummy guys, etc etc. One of my prime reasons for getting out was so that I never had to start a family in this kind of environment, but hey it might be different in the services you listed. Plus you might get stuck non-deployable.

Best piece of advice I can give though: Just talk to her about everything. I mean everything. The military can be a great place; you just have to put in the effort on all fronts not just your career.

Hope I helped.
          It's not the years honey, it's the mileage.

Comment

Hi D-

27 is very young. I wouldn't worry at all about that. I would start testing for departments in earnest right now, though. If you decide to go into the military, you'll have a vast number of fire/emergency related options. The thing you've got to understand is this: the military decision is NOT a decision to improve your firefighting skills (although you certainly will)...Its a life decision based on your value/need to feel like you've served your Country in the way you saw fit.

You can start testing for departments right now...I wouldn't rule it out.

Best,

Paul
            PaulC
            FF/EMTP
            City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
            gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Comment

If you go Navy, Navy Corpsmen get some great schools and get to hang out on the Marine side of the house. You'll get live tissue courses, field medicine, etc. Great stuff for a resume in the paramedic end of things.

On the other hand, Fire49 said it in less words. You'll find yourself in Afghanistan, girl friendless, and pinned down by a PKM real quick and in a hurry.
              It's not the years honey, it's the mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
                What state are you in now

Would not go navy for fire dept or for a newly married couple

Air force for fire dept

Sounds like you know what you want suggest get paramedic then start applying at city depts
                I Live in Indianapolis, Indiana. None of the fire departments are hiring, they'll start one and then cancel, because of budgets. I know the city fire dept wont hire for at least five years. I definitely want to get my paramedic cert.

Comment

Well if you are willing to get your paramedic and go navy
                  Suggest you get your paramedic and ff cert and look at other states
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
                    Well if you are willing to get your paramedic and go navy
                    Suggest you get your paramedic and ff cert and look at other states
                    I'm not suggesting you would want to avoid spending time in a warzone but just know that if you become a Navy Corpsman you WILL be deployed.
                    FDNY Exam 2000
                    List # XX

Comment

Originally posted by Mugs87 View Post
                      If you go Navy, Navy Corpsmen get some great schools and get to hang out on the Marine side of the house. You'll get live tissue courses, field medicine, etc. Great stuff for a resume in the paramedic end of things.

On the other hand, Fire49 said it in less words. You'll find yourself in Afghanistan, girl friendless, and pinned down by a PKM real quick and in a hurry.
                      Go in the Marines and let the Navy haul you around.

Comment

Hi there I was active duty Air Force for four years and went in to get my fire training. I didn't sign the dotted line until I saw 3E7X1(fire protection). I didn't want to go in and hand out basketballs I got great fire training through the DOD fire academy and continued with fire training all four years on the military's dime. About two years in asked to go to medic school at a civilian community college. I didn't have a lot of support but there were good friends along the way to help me through. It was tough but it got me a job on a full time department three months after getting out. I can't say enough about the training and having the military experience as well. My GI bill paid for everything and the Air Force picked up the other part of the tab. Good luck with what ever you choose and shoot me a PM if I can be of any help answering questions that you may have. Cheers!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X