No announcement yet.

Virginia Beach 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the risk of being flamed heavily, what is the difference between certified and non-certified FF's. Does it basically mean that you can get hired as either but as you obtain those requirements then you can become certified? I've only applied to a few departments in the NYC metro area and I don't think I've heard of that.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score:109
    List # XX

Comment

From what I read on their website I believe it is referring to whether or not you are already certified in Virginia as a firefighter/emt/medic. It said something about qualifying for a shorter version of the academy but, since im not certified, I didnt pay much attention. Anyone who knows more confirm this info? Thank You

Comment

Most likely Virginia Beach will send you to their own academy, unless you have already been through a Southside Regional Fire Academy, just like all the departments on the penninsula have the Tidewater Regional Fire Academy. I'm almost positive that Virginia Beach brings all their hires up to Enhanced EMT status, which means having that cert or higher would exempt you from that part of the preliminary training. The wording that they use is really more or less to encourage those with and without experience to still apply. Although I have heard that they have a tendency to hire those with no experience to avoid certain attitudes and to easier teach "their way".

Comment

Ok I think I understand now, thanks to you both.
          FDNY Exam 2000
          Score:109
          List # XX

Comment

Has any one got a phone call yet? when do they start calling people.

Comment

I know a few people that work for the Virginia Beach FD...they say it's a great department. And I've heard they are suppose to be hiring at least 40 people.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.herps View Post
                Has any one got a phone call yet? when do they start calling people.
                You won't be getting a call. More than likely it's going to be an email. The website says the test is Feb 1, so I'm sure they'll stick to that and you will probably just get an email giving all the specifics.

I have yet to get an email or anything, but the app process just closed on Fri, so sometime this week I am sure.

40 people would be awesome. Any word on how many applied? Hopefully not many with it being a short open period.

Comment

From vbgov.com

Fire HR Staff will email written test appointment notices AFTER January 14, 2011. All confirmed 2011 applicants will receive written test and Virginia State Police Criminal History Check Release Form instructions. Contact Virginia Rogers, Fire HR Assistant at [email protected] or (757) 385-8579 if you do not receive your email notification by January 20, 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyT373 View Post
                    You won't be getting a call. More than likely it's going to be an email. The website says the test is Feb 1, so I'm sure they'll stick to that and you will probably just get an email giving all the specifics.

I have yet to get an email or anything, but the app process just closed on Fri, so sometime this week I am sure.

40 people would be awesome. Any word on how many applied? Hopefully not many with it being a short open period.
                    That would be nice, but don't get your hopes up by saying not many people may not have applied, with such a large dept. as nice as VBFD. I also did apply by the way.

Comment

HAHA, trust me... my hopes don't get high for limited number of applicants. Just some wishful thinking! haha. Good luck!

Comment

Anybody from Atlanta I can ride with? Ill go half on gas.

Comment

any other study guides i can use besides the one you have to buy on their website?

Comment

Anybody hear about the lottery system that will be used to select who moves on past the written test? How do people feel about that?

Comment

ya that lottery system is wrong. So they would pick the recruits via luck? I believe the best person, ect. should get the job, but with everthing we'll just have to wait and see how this process plays out. But to me, this idea is the first I heard and I think it's not a very good one, but I don't know, could be 100% wrong, will just have to see, GOOD LUCK!

Comment

I cant understand why they arent taking the top 400 scores that pass all phases. The lottery seems a bit odd to me. I was planning to travel from Ohio to take the test but I dont think im going to drive 8-9 hours to try and win the lottery. Hell, Ive proven every week that I cant win the lottery lol.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X