Houston,TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston,TX

Does anyone have any information on the Houston, TX Fire Department? I know they had a test not that long ago, however, I was still in Iraq when they had it. I am getting ready to get out within the next 6 months. Anyone have any ideas or know when the next test will be? And how many people usually take it as well as how many does the city usually hire?

Thanks
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

any updates as to when these guys will test again? herd a little while back the had at least 750+ with 30 or more yrs on the job. looked on the website and didnt see any updates. Just wondering if any houston guys on here had insight as to when they will test again? thanks

Comment

This may help:

http://www.firehousehouston.com/foru...ead.php?t=4011

Comment

They have 200 jobs on the cutting block unless they can find the money to keep them. 181 cops are looking to get canned too. Also, they just cancelled the next 2 fire academies. I know 2 guys who got CJO's but are probably going to pass because the atmosphere is too chaotic right now.

FD jobs are near impossible right now, especially in this economy.
        Pete

Comment

yeah thats why I feel lucky to still have a shot in austin... I also saw arlington was going to hire soon, but other than those 2 departments its pretty thin.

Comment

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Dallas too is looking at 150 or so, between vacant positions and laying off the recruits in training.

Arlington will probably be OK but they typically hire a few here and there. Anyone they hire typically is already certified as a FF and at least an EMT.

Not sure about Fort Worth as most of their hirees are folks getting out of the military at the JRB (i.e. Veteran's Preference points)

Your best bet is the suburbs who typically hire "onesies" and "twosies" every couple of years or so.
              DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Comment

So where are you hearing that Dallas is going to lay off 150? I have not heard this anywhere and as I am in the hiring process I would like to know. Also Arlington is hiring again this year like they did last year go to their website they have all the information on it. FWFD probably will not hire till next year if then.

Comment

Originally posted by hbabler View Post
                  So where are you hearing that Dallas is going to lay off 150? I have not heard this anywhere and as I am in the hiring process I would like to know. Also Arlington is hiring again this year like they did last year go to their website they have all the information on it. FWFD probably will not hire till next year if then.
                  Read any newspaper in the DFW Metroplex. Try dallasnews.com

Dallas' budget shortfall is all over the news. Most city council members and several city managers are on record saying that public safety, historically "sacred cows", will be included in this round of cuts and, potentially, lay-offs.

To clarify, 150 (+/-) positions will potentially remain empty either by not filling vacancies and/or lay-offs.
                  Last edited by dfwfirefighter; 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM.
                  DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Comment

Originally posted by hbabler View Post
                    You shouldn't quit your job at mickey dees or the home depot just yet.
                    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Ok, I have heard some rumors that PD hiring will be delayed, but Mary Suhm the city manager has said that neither fire nor police will be asked to lay off employees. Thanks for the prompt answer.
                      Last edited by hbabler; 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X