I got the job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got the job!

Three years, thousands of hours of work, school, and volunteering later and my dream has finally come true! So...when does it start to feel real???

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Must be an amazing feeling. Congratulations!

Comment

Thanks guys. Im not sure ive ever felt quite like this before. I can tell you this. Best day of my life was the day my son was born...this is a very close second however. Any advice for a rookie from you vets out there???

Comment

hand moisturizer for when your hands crack from washing all the dishes!

Comment

Meh, 3 years that's nothing. A bunch of us here in ny took took the test in 2007 and we're pretty much definitely going to have to take it again due to circumstances out of our control and start everything from scratch again.

But seriously, congrats. I wish I was feeling what you were right now.....

Comment

Originally posted by fdny84 View Post
              hand moisturizer for when your hands crack from washing all the dishes!
              Haha! Ive been a bartender for 10 years and have washed plenty of dishes in my time...Actually, now that i think of it i could have used that on my oral board lol. Good advice though!

Comment

Originally posted by roadrunner09 View Post
                Meh, 3 years that's nothing. A bunch of us here in ny took took the test in 2007 and we're pretty much definitely going to have to take it again due to circumstances out of our control and start everything from scratch again.

But seriously, congrats. I wish I was feeling what you were right now.....
                Thank you. I know 3 years is nothing compared to what alot of guys wait for this opportunity. I feel very fortunate and blessed to be in this position at this time.

Comment

Pretty work Wolverine! I like hearing stories like this as it makes me keep moving waiting for my phone call. Make sure you go hard in everything you do!!!

Comment

YES! Great job, Wolverine! I love hearing these things for guys who are still working away at it. They see it can actually be done while getting clued in on the fact that its rarely easy for ANYONE. Here are a few things to get you through rookie/probie time:

1. Be there early, fully prepared to work.
                    2. Check out safety equipment, then everything else.
                    3. Eyes and ears open...mouth shut.
                    4. Last down...first up.
                    5. Don't stop until you're ordered to do so.
                    6. When in doubt...Full turnouts/gear.
                    7. Work harder (and smarter) than everyone else. Repeat. (and don't talk about it).
                    7. Never...I mean NEVER...Let them know what gets to you!
                    8. 3 rules to live by: Have fun...Be Safe...Don't get any on ya!

Totally fired up for you. Made my morning.

Welcome!

PaulC.
                    FFEMTP Las Vegas Fire and Rescue '98
                    PaulC
                    FF/EMTP
                    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
                    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Comment

Originally posted by PaulC. View Post
                      YES! Great job, Wolverine! I love hearing these things for guys who are still working away at it. They see it can actually be done while getting clued in on the fact that its rarely easy for ANYONE. Here are a few things to get you through rookie/probie time:

1. Be there early, fully prepared to work. I have always gone by "On time is late and fifteen minutes early is on time" but im thinking, for a probie, i should be 45-60 minutes early, correct?
                      2. Check out safety equipment, then everything else. Check
                      3. Eyes and ears open...mouth shut. If asked, do I voice my opinion or do i just say ill follow whatever direction my supervisor gives me? If its a safety concern, does that have any influence?
                      4. Last down...first up. Shift change is 0800, what time should i be up? How much before the other guys?
                      5. Don't stop until you're ordered to do so. Check
                      6. When in doubt...Full turnouts/gear. Check
                      7. Work harder (and smarter) than everyone else. Repeat. (and don't talk about it). Check
                      7. Never...I mean NEVER...Let them know what gets to you! Even on calls?
                      8. 3 rules to live by: Have fun...Be Safe...Don't get any on ya! Check

Totally fired up for you. Made my morning.

Welcome!

PaulC.
                      FFEMTP Las Vegas Fire and Rescue '98
                      Thank you for all of the advice!

Comment

Congradulations. I wish you a great and productive career.

A friend, who retired recently, before he left said.." I stepped in s**t 30 years ago and I've been rolling in it ever since." It's obvious he appreciated the job to the end.

Comment

Check this out... http://firehouse2.wordpress.com/

Congrats, It has only been 10 months since I was in your exact spot. I am still on cloud 9, and don't think I'll ever come down. Where will you be serving?

Drew

Comment

Congrats

Glad to hear of all of the success stories....just remember as you head up the ladder of success remember where you came from and don't get " badge heavy."
                            Respectfully,
                            Jay Dudley
                            Retired Fire
                            Background Investigator
                            IACOJ-Member
                            Lifetime Member CSFA
                            IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Congrats brother

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse