Tampa Fl/Surrouding Areas???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Fl/Surrouding Areas???

Currently I live in Md and belong to Elkridge Volunteer Fire Dept. I am on the Medic side with Emt-B underway, I plan on taking Fire1 right after this class. My questions are, is anyone from Tampa Fl do they know any really good stations to get into, the goal is to volly till I can apply for a county and hopefully get hired. I have no idea how Fl works or who's hiring etc. If anyone has any info that's helpful I will gladly take it!

The things I am looking for are:
    How do I know what counties are hiring?
    What are the standards for hiring in the state of fl?
    How long is their academy? Paid not paid?
    Process of hiring etc?

Like here in MD you don't have to have anything to apply to be hired, our academy lasts up to 6 months we are paid during the academy and the process of hiring is application, written test, interview cpat..

THANKS FOR ANY CONTRIBUTING INFORMATION!

Originally posted by Nicnac View Post
    Currently I live in Md and belong to Elkridge Volunteer Fire Dept. I am on the Medic side with Emt-B underway, I plan on taking Fire1 right after this class. My questions are, is anyone from Tampa Fl do they know any really good stations to get into, the goal is to volly till I can apply for a county and hopefully get hired. I have no idea how Fl works or who's hiring etc. If anyone has any info that's helpful I will gladly take it!

The things I am looking for are:
    How do I know what counties are hiring?
    What are the standards for hiring in the state of fl?
    How long is their academy? Paid not paid?
    Process of hiring etc?

Like here in MD you don't have to have anything to apply to be hired, our academy lasts up to 6 months we are paid during the academy and the process of hiring is application, written test, interview cpat..

THANKS FOR ANY CONTRIBUTING INFORMATION!
    Look somewhere else bro, Everyone down here wants a FF career. First off, getting reciprocity for your certs to Florida is almost next to impossible.

A list of all the FDs in Florida.
    http://www.myfloridacfo.com/sfm/link...lee.org&st=cse

Hillsborough County Fire Department, City of Tampa Fire Rescue are the largest FDs in that area. Down here the competition is ridiculous; small cities are seeing 500-1000 applicants for 1-2 spots. Volunteer positions are far and between as well. A majority of Departments look for FF/Medic. Though in this time of budget crunching EMT-B's are cheaper to hire.

Comment

thanks for the reply "bro" lol sorry but I am a woman.. and I dont think I am looking to take on the fire side as much as I am the medic... I am going after my P, but ty for the link... I Have looked at a few online sites for hiring down there, most everywhere is furlowing, up here but thanks again for the info..

Comment

Originally posted by Nicnac View Post
        thanks for the reply "bro" lol sorry but I am a woman.. and I dont think I am looking to take on the fire side as much as I am the medic... I am going after my P, but ty for the link... I Have looked at a few online sites for hiring down there, most everywhere is furlowing, up here but thanks again for the info..

Sigh...they need to make a sticky on florida or something...Heres florida in a nutshell:

*You MUST have your EMT Or paramedic card AND FLORIDA Firefighter 1 and 2 before you can EVEN APPLY FOR A JOB HERE, PERIOD. There is like, 3 departments or something that are "civil service" type hiring processes, with Miami Dade being the biggest probably.

* Your Firefighter certs WILL NOT transfer to FLORIDA, period. Our standard for firefighter 2 is over 450 hours now I believe or something, most states are much lower than that. If hours don't match, it aint happenin.

* YOU Put YOURSELF through a state certified academy. There is virtually NO department that "pays" you to go to the academy while your hired (except once again, maybe miami dade) AFTER you become certified, you can THEN go look at cities and counties in the state that are hiring, and apply with the thousands of other certified people just like you. As far as where you look and how, it is called a COMPUTER, google every county/city you can find, go to their job postings, and see if they are hiring firefighters...expect the server to crash if their is a job posting, due to the overwhelming swarm of applicants applying for that job.

*Most everywhere in this state is FIRE BASED EMS. There is NO money to be made or career paths within an EMS only system. ESPECIALLY in south FL. While there are a few good EMS only systems (Lake Sumter EMS and Lee County EMS comes to mind), they are few and far between. firefighter/EMT and Firefighter/paramedic staffed rescues (ambulances) are the norm here.

*Just in my area alone (central Florida) there are about 8 academies pumping out Bright eyed and bushy tailed green as can be certified Firefighter/EMT's EVERY 3 MONTHS OR SO WITH NO JOBS TO BE FOUND. Do the math....

*If you DO get hired ( by the grace of god, selling your soul to the devil, etc) most departments seem to put on some sort of 4 to 6 week, 8-5, monday-Friday orientation learning how do things "their way".

While you may find a "few" exceptions to my jargon listed above (and I do mean few), what I have just posted is 99 percent of florida, and 100 percent on the certification info. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Last edited by VESmedic; 12-03-2010, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Not trying to be an a-hole, bu if your more on the medic side then you need to look into EMS systems, not Fire departments, unless they have single role medics.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X