Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a EMT-B/Firefighter

Dear Reader,
    I'm writing this post to express my feelings toward the age requirement to become a EMT-B/FF in Alabama and in many other states, and to seek others opinions about it. I feel as if i am being discriminated against by the state and local colleges with the exception of one when it comes to becoming a EMT-B/FF, i have tried and prayed so hard to become a EMT/FF since i was 15 (i am now 16) just so i can help others and thats it, if i could i would volunteer every second i have to the EMS and fire dept. but the age requirment is what stands in the way. Just because i am 16 doesn't mean that i have any less capability than a 18 y/o, in fact i know PLENTY of eighteen year olds that are in the local fire department that have the same attitude of "wow, i have a badge, radio, and ff tag. I am a fireman!" and the way i look at it is i could be like the rest of the teenagers in this world that don't give a crap about anything but Sex, Drugs, and looking "Cool" but i am NOT, i proudly seperate myself from that "bunch" because i feel as if God wants me to do this and through God i know there is a way, i just haven't found it yet. Thank you for reading. -
    Cody

sounds like you need to wait until you are considered an 'adult' (18) to reach your goals. i know here you can start your emt cert under 18, but cannot be an active FF member.. have you looked into a juniors program?

Comment

Originally posted by doctorcoddman View Post
      Dear Reader,
      I'm writing this post to express my feelings ...
      I stopped reading right there. Feelings have no place in the fire service. Even for EMTs.
      Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

I think it's awesome that you capitalized Sex, Drugs, and Cool!
        IAFF

Comment

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
            I think it's awesome that you capitalized Sex, Drugs, and Cool!
            I'm torn. On the one hand, it's cool that he did that, but on the other hand, he talked about feelings. On the third hand, you actually read that entire paragraph.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
              I'm torn. On the one hand, it's cool that he did that, but on the other hand, he talked about feelings. On the third hand, you actually read that entire paragraph.
              I skimmed, so I don't think any rules were broken. Maybe infringed a little.
              IAFF

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
                I skimmed, so I don't think any rules were broken. Maybe infringed a little.
                I second this motion. I also carry it. Let's see Robert do something about that.

I didn't think so.

Comment

Dear Reader,
                  I'm writing this post to express my feelings toward the age requirement to become a EMT-B/FF in Alabama and in many other states, and to seek others opinions about it. I feel as if i am being discriminated against by the state and local colleges with the exception of one when it comes to becoming a EMT-B/FF, i have tried and prayed so hard to become a EMT/FF since i was 15 (i am now 16) just so i can help others and thats it, if i could i would volunteer every second i have to the EMS and fire dept. but the age requirment is what stands in the way. Just because i am 16 doesn't mean that i have any less capability than a 18 y/o, in fact i know PLENTY of eighteen year olds that are in the local fire department that have the same attitude of "wow, i have a badge, radio, and ff tag. I am a fireman!" and the way i look at it is i could be like the rest of the teenagers in this world that don't give a crap about anything but Sex, Drugs, and looking "Cool" but i am NOT, i proudly seperate myself from that "bunch" because i feel as if God wants me to do this and through God i know there is a way, i just haven't found it yet. Thank you for reading. -
                  Cody
                  Dude, seriously, GROW UP. Just because YOU think you are on some divine mission from God to become a firefighter/EMT-B doesn't mean jack squat to anyone, let alone the people that make the rules.

You want to be a firefighter... show some maturity and realize that no matter how much you whine, or complain, or call upon your religious fervor it doesn't mean anything in this case. Frankly, it makes you look like a spoiled child. What rules, or SOG's, or guidelines will you try to exempt yourself from IF you become a firefighter?

I am so tired of people thinking that they should be exempt from rules that apply to EVERYONE. Suck it up, show people you are working to be a man and wait your turn. But the biggest piece of advice is simply this, shut up before you destroy your reputation before you are even on the fire department.
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Rule number one of the fire service...
                    Follow the rules.

Rule number two...(especially when you're a rookie)...
                    No one cares what you think about the rules, you're a firefighter, not a rule maker.

Comment

Dear Reader,
                      Cody
                      You joined the forums in May of 2008 and this was your first post after thinking and praying about it for 2 1/2 years? You are young, but very weak grasshopper. I suggest abandoning your screen name now when there is only one post to lose and you do irreversible damage to your psyche after the flogging you will receive as a result of your stupid posts.

You my friend, are on track to be LAFireEducaterJr. A title you will assuredly deserve if you don't STFU.
                      RK
                      cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                        Dude, seriously, GROW UP. Just because YOU think you are on some divine mission from God to become a firefighter/EMT-B doesn't mean jack squat to anyone, let alone the people that make the rules.

You want to be a firefighter... show some maturity and realize that no matter how much you whine, or complain, or call upon your religious fervor it doesn't mean anything in this case. Frankly, it makes you look like a spoiled child. What rules, or SOG's, or guidelines will you try to exempt yourself from IF you become a firefighter?

I am so tired of people thinking that they should be exempt from rules that apply to EVERYONE. Suck it up, show people you are working to be a man and wait your turn. But the biggest piece of advice is simply this, shut up before you destroy your reputation before you are even on the fire department.
                        Posted by Memphis E34
                        You joined the forums in May of 2008 and this was your first post after thinking and praying about it for 2 1/2 years? You are young, but very weak grasshopper. I suggest abandoning your screen name now when there is only one post to lose and you do irreversible damage to your psyche after the flogging you will receive as a result of your stupid posts.

You my friend, are on track to be LAFireEducaterJr. A title you will assuredly deserve if you don't STFU.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4HZKDel9N0&NR=1
                        Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 11-25-2010, 08:52 PM.
                        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Thanks for the comments,
                          Some made me laugh or shall i use the more childish term "lol", others made me realize how ignorant (with the exception of some) apparent firefighters really are, but those who said "you can't" make me that much more determined to succeed at my goals in life and the one who stated that "doesn't mean jack squat to anyone" should really seek help for attitutional problems. I have already earned my GED and I AM enrolled at the local college for EMT so I'm not the spoiled child i was said to be. The NREMT has also offered to work with me and the state by issuing a assesment test and using the result to determine whether or not the state can certify me and therefore audit the NREMT cert alltogether, so i will continue on my so called divine mission, but rest assured that i will NOT give up until i earn certification be it before 18 or at 18. and just for a side note i am not immature, in fact im currently enrolled in Premed at UTM. the only and i mean the ONLY reason i wrote this synopsis of my opinions regarding the age requirments for EMT/FF certification was to get opinions from others who were in the fire service wished to offer a helping hand, and the only one who remotely said anything to be considered helpful was "DarkStarr" and i thank him for not writing a bunch of Spam. So again thanks and have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving

Comment

I deleted my post after rereading it and deciding that anything I said to this young person was a waste of my time. When reality catches up to him it is certainly not going to be pretty.
                            Last edited by FyredUp; 11-26-2010, 02:26 PM.
                            Crazy, but that's how it goes
                            Millions of people living as foes
                            Maybe it's not too late
                            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I predict the wearing of pants with the scissors in the pocket.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X