Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer from the uk

Hi brothers,
    I am an 11 year firefighter from London and am desperately looking at transfer to the states.
    I am willing to go where ever to get in but preferable Boston area etc.
    Was wondering if u guys knew if it was possible to transfer! I do have USAR, Mass Decon, EDBA, Arial and FRU qualifications!
    I am still young at 30 , so need to get this moving if any one has any feedback or help this would be great!

Hutchy

Firstly, what is your US employment eligibility? Without the right to live and work in the US you're going to find coming here to work near impossible.
    Secondly, Most fire departments in Mass use a civil service test to hire Firefighters. This test is given every couple of years. Preference is give to candidates based on residency and US military service. If you're applying out of state without military service you're just wasting your time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by HUTCHY View Post
      Hi brothers,
      I am an 11 year firefighter from London and am desperately looking at transfer to the states.
      I am willing to go where ever to get in but preferable Boston area etc.
      Was wondering if u guys knew if it was possible to transfer! I do have USAR, Mass Decon, EDBA, Arial and FRU qualifications!
      I am still young at 30 , so need to get this moving if any one has any feedback or help this would be great!

Hutchy
      Not going to happen. You have to be a citizen of the United States, If you want to be a Boston Jake, you have to live in Boston to apply and abide by the rules.

No transfers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HUTCHY View Post
        but preferable Boston area etc.
        Not a sports fan, huh?

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Once you acquire your work visa, your best bet in getting hired may be in the southern U.S. (including Texas). Large, civil service cities like Boston and NY are notoriously difficult to get on with, even for those with residency or veterans' status. There are plenty of growing cities throughout the South with good, aggressive fire departments that seem to hire every year. Do some research, but I would definitely recommend Charlotte, Raleigh or Durham, NC, as well as Columbia, SC.

Keep an open mind, and don't get too hung up on Boston.

Comment

Hutchy,

Just out of curiosity what makes you want to leave the London Fire Brigade aren't they the British equal of the FDNY...anyway I have family on the job in Boston and am currently going through the Mass civil service process for Boston...if you need any help you can pm me, but yes residency, veterans, and age come quite largely into play.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X