Their Academy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Their Academy?

Ok, so i have a question and need some input...

I have been in the Fire Service for 12 years certified as a Firefighter/EMT in Florida. My wife and I have decided to move away from here because she has found a new job and I need a new dept with better pay and I would like to move also. The dept I am looking at has an academy coming up soon and I need to know the following:

1. If I get on with this Dept and they send me to their Academy, Will they also pay me while I go through?

2. Does the Dept normally pay for all expenses of the Academy since its theirs and your basically hired by them at that time?

I have sent them emails and waiting on a reply. I would just like to see what the norm is around the country.
    I need to know if I will be living off the money through the academy or if I need to somehow find a part time job while I try to go through....

Who is "their"

Some pay at a reduced rate

Some supply most of the equipment
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

What state are you looking at???

Have you checked reciprocity ??
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Our recruits are paid during the entire academy, and get their first pay raise upon graduation. Your milage may vary though...
        Career Fire Captain
        Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Yes,
          the expectation is that you will be hired by the department, thus you are paid for attending. Additionally, all of your uniforms and safety gear are also paid for.
          It's important to remember that you are trying to enter THEIR department. Make sure all of your correspondence is professional. You are being graded every step of the way. This is often forgotten by people seeking employment with a fire department.
          Good luck with the process
          Last edited by paulLepore; 11-10-2010, 10:51 AM.
          Paul Lepore
          Division Chief
          Aspiringfirefighters.com
          AspiringFireOfficers.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader