Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Jake
    replied
    I knew you would had to have be in the military to become a Veteran. I just wasn't sure what actually makes you a veteran. Not everyone that has been in the military comes out a Veteran. I wanted to know the specific things that made a Veteran a Veteran. You get me now? Or still think it's the most stupid thing ever asked on Firehouse.com, or anywhere for that matter?

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Originally posted by Future Jake View Post
    What makes you a veteran?
    Is this a trick question?

Leave a comment:

• thanojon
    replied
    [QUOTE=Future Jake;1221147] What makes you a veteran?[/QUOTE

No offense but seriously???

Leave a comment:

• Future Jake
    replied
    Sounds like a plan, Thanks a lot for your input, it helped.

Leave a comment:

• pchandler27
    replied
    Future Jake

I'd look at getting your EMT-B or Paramedic. If you research it Several smaller departments require Paramedic certification at time of hire. Thats a good way to bypass a lot of the competition. You can find the state's definition of a veteran on the Civil Service HRD website, but here it is. http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=veterans...csid=Eveterans

Leave a comment:

• Future Jake
    replied
    Thank you, PCHANDLER27, for clearing that up. So, the best thing I could do , being a not-veteran, would be to list the city/town I lived in for twelve months prior to exam? Then, maybe do some research and list cities/towns that are going to be hiring, in hope I'd get picked? Sounds like being hired out of your residency, or as a non-veteran is nearly impossible... What makes you a veteran?

Leave a comment:

• SPFD7
    replied
    Originally posted by pchandler27 View Post
    I took the 2008 exam and put my name on Boston's list. I'm a veteran and I don't have residency there so there were over 700 Boston Residents ahead of me. They only hired one recruit class of 51 off that list just a few months ago.

Also, in Massachusetts you don't get points for being a veteran, you get preference, which means that you get placed ahead of non-veterans. So Boston veteran residents get placed 1st, then Boston residents, then non-resident veterans then non-residents.
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like if your a vet living in Boston you stand a really good chance of getting hired!

Thanks,
    John

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    http://www.cityofboston.gov/fire/employment/

Leave a comment:

• pchandler27
    replied
    I took the 2008 exam and put my name on Boston's list. I'm a veteran and I don't have residency there so there were over 700 Boston Residents ahead of me. They only hired one recruit class of 51 off that list just a few months ago.

Also, in Massachusetts you don't get points for being a veteran, you get preference, which means that you get placed ahead of non-veterans. So Boston veteran residents get placed 1st, then Boston residents, then non-resident veterans then non-residents.

Leave a comment:

• SPFD7
    replied
    So if you are a resident of Boston 1 year prior to the exam date and are placed above any one else on the list regardless of vets points, how much of an advantage does this give you usually? Is there enough Boston residents applying where it's still fairly competitive? Or are you basically "guaranteed" a job if you pass all the tests, etc due to the small number of Boston residents? Just curious.

Thanks,
    John

Leave a comment:

• pchandler27
    replied
    You have to live in Boston 12 months prior to the written exam to qualifiy for residential preference. Residintial preference places city residents ahead of all other applicants regardless of score or veteran's preference, which makes it impossible to get hired by Boston if you are not a resident. You can choose 4 cities in Massachusetts to have your name placed on their list and you can change which cities as often as you want online at the following site once the list comes out.
    https://www.csexam.hrd.state.ma.us/standings/
    Most if not all Civil Service departments in Massachusetts place their residents ahead of non-residents.

Leave a comment:

• Future Jake
    started a topic Just wondering

Just wondering

I was just reading a thread about Become a Boston Firefighter. Someone said yu had to have lived ther 12 months prior to taking the exam(s). I chose Boston as a city I wanted my scores to go to, or something like that, But I never lived in Boston. How can I change this?

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X