Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quickstangsvt302
    replied
    I was born and raised in Mass. I spent almost 23 years there. After taking the civil service test twice and waiting for nothing... I decided on heading into the military. To make a long story short I took my third civil service test for Mass and scored in the 98-99% range overall. I had my EMT-B cert, residency preference, vet preference, honorable discharge, squeaky clean record, and never even heard a peep from any dept. Six years wasted and I gave up on Mass... moral of the story keep all options open even if it means moving else where.

I currently live in Florida it's totally worth it. Apply everywhere and anywhere!

Leave a comment:

• bbell1977
    replied
    I am born and raised in Mass (Medford) and it is such a bitch to get on if you are not a vet. The most recent list has 19 vets ahead of me. I have been testing out of state as there is a better chance of winning the lottery while getting struck by lightning than getting on in MA.

Leave a comment:

• BTown
    replied
    Mass Hiring Info

Unless your a Veteran and have lived in the City of Boston or Mass since most

require residency proof, you can forget about being hired. Boston only hires

about 90-100 per year at the most. The rest of the Cities or towns hire in the

single digits. Nobody ever thinks of retiring. Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• tms122
    replied
    A little Mass news, New Bedford FD has recieved a SAFER grant for $12m allowing them to hire 50 new ff's. Cards were mailed the day the grant was awarded and the appear-by date has already passed, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Keep an eye on the SAFER website, several other MA departments have recieved some good size grants including Lawrence, Lynn and Weymouth and I'd bet more are coming.

Leave a comment:

• RMD25
    replied
    Marks released

Hi all! How did everyone do on the MA civil service test who took it? Share scores?

Leave a comment:

• RMD25
    replied
    Future Jake i recommend getting your EMT. If you already have it hop on in to medic school. A lot of depts are switching over to ALS. For those of you who live around the Melrose area word has it that they are looking to start running FD BLS by 2012 and bump up to ALS by 2014. Again..it's all about the medical aspect. And if you have residency that will give you points too!

Leave a comment:

• RMD25
    replied
    HRD site says early to mid November for us to get our marks and list out on Dec 1. Seeings how it is Massachusetts of all states I wouldn't hold my breath on these dates. I'm almost finished with paramedic school and have residency in my city but we will see. Best of luck to all and hope to see you at the "big one" some day

Leave a comment:

• tms122
    replied
    I actually thought we would have had results by now. At the civil service presentation I attended in April I think they said that results would be out in October with the new list going into effect in December. I don't think there's a whole lot you can do to move yourself up the list once the list is established. Although I'm not sure how prevalent it is, some departments give preference to candidates with EMT certs so that might be worth getting if your desired departments want that.

Leave a comment:

• SleepyHollow
    replied
    Join the marines ASAP, move to Boston, and get 100% on the exam.....and POOF...there you go.

Leave a comment:

• Future Jake
    replied
    I am also waiting for a score on the written, have taken and passed the ELPAT and am waiting on scores for that also. Does anyone know when the scores come out? I have heard sometime in December. I have also heard the banded scores are dome away with, but am not 100%... After the scores come out and are (I HOPE TO GOD) placed on the Waiting list. What can I do to better myself on that list, bump myself up, prepare to become a firefighter. what comes next?
    Last edited by Future Jake; 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tms122
    replied
    I seem to recall hearing that they were doing away with the banded results system this year but I'm not positive, I haven't paid much attention to this stuff since May when I took the PAT. To get on the eligible list, I think it's 70 on the written portion and passing just 2 events of 7 on the PAT. Obviously you're scored higher if you pass all 7 events, but 2/7 is a passing score.

Leave a comment:

• MPHOENIX
    started a topic MA civil service

MA civil service

Does anyone who has taken the MA or may be familiar with the MA civil service exam know how they score? I've heard they do it in percentile, but what kind of score do you need to be placed on the eligible list?

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X