Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ffbam24
    replied
    I think everyone should join for a minimum of 2 years in order to experience the lack of freedoms that they are defending. That will instill a lot of humility and appreciation and make that person getting out of the military a better person overall. Join to serve a greater good rather than to serve yourself.

Right now for FDNY, military will only help you waive age requirements to a certain point. Even now the requirements state that having held a job for 6 months straight is just as good as an Honorable Discharge from the military. Which is BTW: Disgusting.

Look around, some places are starting to ramp up to start testing again.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• SkullKrusher2010
    replied
    Join the Air Force, as a firefighter.. Take additional courses while in. The military does not like dumb soldiers, so they offer college courses on-base and on-line also..

Plus, one advantage is that you will have a great job while learning your trade as a firefighter.. and get to see the world also.

I was a Navy SeaBee, Res., but I will admit that I was in envy of how they rolled..

Work smarter, not harder...
    Last edited by SkullKrusher2010; 10-30-2010, 06:11 AM. Reason: content accuracy

Leave a comment:

• JoeMZ191
    replied
    You may actually get the best of both worlds by spending some time in the military. I spent 7 years in the Air Force. I got out with over 50 college credits. Plus, you get your GI Bill to pay for more school when you get out.

The brothers are absolutely right about the discipline and work ethic you'll learn. We had a young man up this way, got his firefighter and paramedic certifications on his own. Finally got picked up by a very progressive department. He quit two months later. The reason: He was a Firefighter/Paramedic and they expected him to <<GASP>> clean bathrooms and mop floors. True story.

Best of luck to you. Do everything you can to make yourself stand out. It's a tough job market out there.

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    replied
    Yeah definitely got to spell definitely right.
    definitely
    definitely not a good speller.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• snowball
    replied
    Learn how to spell definitely.

Leave a comment:

• jtucker1384
    replied
    Originally posted by Reaper 93 View Post
    Thanks firemanlyman. I think i'll take some community college classes after I graduate high school while i wait to got to boot camp so I can get some credits at least and I might do something related in the emergency service field in the military. jtucker134 would you say that being in the military helped you out though?
    I would say that on top of all the college classes I have taken did as well. Also if you want to do something in the emergency service field you would want to go in the navy as a corpman as they work with the marine corp. The marine corp doesnt have their own corpman they use the navy corpman. So marines would be out of the question.

Leave a comment:

• Reaper 93
    replied
    Great advice Dickley I will def keep that in mind. Those are good morals thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Reaper 93
    replied
    Thanks firemanlyman. I think i'll take some community college classes after I graduate high school while i wait to got to boot camp so I can get some credits at least and I might do something related in the emergency service field in the military. jtucker134 would you say that being in the military helped you out though?

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    replied
    Mr. Reaper....

My suggestion to you is go be a Marine. The life lessons, discipline, and self confidence you will get from the military is unbeatable, nothing like a college degree will get you. Plus you will be part of an elite group that you can call your brothers for life.

Most departments want at least a 2 year, if not a 4 year degree. Maybe after the military get on a vollie dept and work on a degree. Experience on a volunteer department is a great selling point for a full time fire job and you get training.

While in high school, take as much math, science, and chemistry you can. I know it sucks and it's hard but it will pay off later in life.

Stay out of trouble. Do not get arrested for anything or get too many traffic violations. This will haunt you the rest of your life. Your moral character will be in question the rest of your life too.

Don't be kocky, don't keep saying "where I come from...", don't get arrogant, and above all, don't think you know it all.

Be honest, always. Always do what is right. Even when no one is looking. Don't get so busy making a living you forget to make a life.

If you follow this, you will go a long way in life. Good luck in your adventures.
    Last edited by Dickey; 10-29-2010, 11:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jtucker1384
    replied
    Originally posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    The military is a fine choice. Not only will it make a responsible adult out of you and teach you some values that kids today seem to lack, but in many civil service positions this will give you +5 points on the hiring test. Good luck to you, keep your record clean and stay safe.
    By no means was I saying it was a bad choice. Its what I did so I would never knock anyone that wants to.

Leave a comment:

• FiremanLyman
    replied
    The military is a fine choice. Not only will it make a responsible adult out of you and teach you some values that kids today seem to lack, but in many civil service positions this will give you +5 points on the hiring test. Good luck to you, keep your record clean and stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• jtucker1384
    replied
    It really depends but it only looks good if you make it to the interview step. You still have to do good on all the basic steps like written and physical agility. Those are the most important things so you can make it to the interview and use that degree or military to your advantage. Some places give you preference point to add to your score if you are honorably discharged from the military.

Leave a comment:

• Reaper 93
    replied
    Thanks jtucker1384. What I was thinking was that the military would instill values and help me out also because it would prepare me physically and mentally
    but alot of people say that having a college degree looks better on paper.

Leave a comment:

• jtucker1384
    replied
    its actually an 8 year commitment 4 year is in the inactive ready reserves(IRR) which is what i am in till 2014. You cant look at pretty much any big city department. There are some websites out there that give you up to date job posting. Alls i can say is dont be picky and test at as many places as possible. Once you get on somewhere then you can concentrate on that dream department you want to be on.

Leave a comment:

• Reaper 93
    replied
    Originally posted by jtucker1384 View Post
    Also keep in mind you cant just do two years in the military.
    Well I was planning on joining for 4 years which I think is the minimum but I think by two years they mean getting an honorable discharge.
    I also looked at the FDNY thread you suggested and I think I remember hearing about hiring freezes because supposedly the test was to hard for minorities and there have been some lay offs recently but i'm hoping that this is all gets better within the next four years. Would you suggest a smaller local department would be better though?

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X