No announcement yet.

Seattle 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the exam is pass/fail. I think passing is 70%. Based on the workshop material, it has a significant memorization component to it. I didn't think it was overly difficult, but don't dismiss it either.

I applied for the process, but I'm very apprehensive about the EMT requirement. I realize that's not a problem for many of you, but it is an issue for those of us who have full time careers.

I'm hoping that they'll like me enough to send me to King County's EMT school. Given the travel and schedule of my current job, I can't make it to a community college to get EMT certified. I could quit, but I think it's irresponsible to do so when my wife and I are trying to save for a house and family - especially given it can take years to get hired.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeful_FF View Post
      Yes, the exam is pass/fail. I think passing is 70%. Based on the workshop material, it has a significant memorization component to it. I didn't think it was overly difficult, but don't dismiss it either.

I applied for the process, but I'm very apprehensive about the EMT requirement. I realize that's not a problem for many of you, but it is an issue for those of us who have full time careers.

I'm hoping that they'll like me enough to send me to King County's EMT school. Given the travel and schedule of my current job, I can't make it to a community college to get EMT certified. I could quit, but I think it's irresponsible to do so when my wife and I are trying to save for a house and family - especially given it can take years to get hired.
      Hate to say it, but most of the people in my EMT class also had full time jobs. If you want it bad enough, you'll do what you have to do to get it done.

Comment

Hopefull FF,

I feel you man, its tough especially with a family and a fulltime job. I took an evening and all day Saturday EMT class - I have 2 young boys and a wife.

The thing is, if you really want this job (firefighter) if you don't give it 100% of your attention and effort, it may be an extremely long road for you.

I say this because there are thousands of us giving 110% everyday...EMT Cert., Medic License, Volunteer FF, Paid-Call FF... Those are the ones who will get the call.

75-80% of calls are EMS not very many fires.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewartson47 View Post
          Hate to say it, but most of the people in my EMT class also had full time jobs. If you want it bad enough, you'll do what you have to do to get it done.
          It's not just a full-time job...mine requires travel 1-2 weeks per month. It's impossible for me to attend classes and still fulfill my work obligations.

Even if I managed to stay in town for 10 weeks, the drive from Redmond to Seattle by 5pm is a killer. I need a helicopter, or a class on the east side.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeful_FF View Post
            It's not just a full-time job...mine requires travel 1-2 weeks per month. It's impossible for me to attend classes and still fulfill my work obligations.

Even if I managed to stay in town for 10 weeks, the drive from Redmond to Seattle by 5pm is a killer. I need a helicopter, or a class on the east side.
            Just remember, there are a lot of guys/gals that make major life changes just for a chance to apply at certain departments. Also, be careful what you imply in your posts. I went through 2 years of Paramedic school while working a full-time job and a part-time fire job. I guarantee you that there are many out here who've had it more difficult than that. Ultimately, you make the decisions you need to make.

That said, nobody will hold it against you if you choose your current job over EMT training. Just realize that, in a highly competitive process like this, having a particular license or certification is likely to push a candidate ahead of one who does not.

Comment

In the past, if you are high up on the list, SFD has offered an accellerated EMT class. MikeyD may be able to clarify, but it is somewhere along the lines of a whole weekend for a month crammed down your gullet.

Comment

Thank you for the input all.

I've gone over it repeatedly these last few days, but ultimately I know I need to get EMT certified. Rather than take a chance that I'm high enough to get picked for King County's class, I'm going to try making this work.

We'll see how the idea goes over tomorrow at work!

Comment

I wont be goin for it this time.At least I know I mmade the very desirable group.Will be testing for Baltimore City next time round.Closer to home.Good luck to everyone.Quick tip to all those doing the written exams... STUDY with minimal breaks.You need the time to study.I studied my asse of and only got 70.2%...But made up for it in my interviews! 100 and 97.Seattle is a great city.

Comment

Anyone receive their notice for the written exam yet?

Comment

No notification yet, just logged in to check application status and it says "written exam", but no date yet.

Comment

The website says we should know by February 1 which testing date we have. If not, we have to call by February 4.

Comment

I checked today and I have a scheduled exam time. You can submit changes if necessary. All tests are conducted at the University of Washington, either February 26 or 27, and your options are 7:30 am or 1:30 pm.

Good luck!

Comment

Just a bit more info that's not gospel from our "rumor mills". My buddy chatted with the Chief the other day and it sounds like the plan is 50-60 off of the list (so think 2 classes of 24-25 would be about right). It looks like HR and the budget will win out and the first class would be approx. Feb '12. Like I said, not gospel, but different than the Aug or Nov '11 earlier reported. Good luck on the written here at the end of the month.

Comment

Two drill classes? Rock and Roll....

Comment

Money dependent of course. Like I said, that's the "plan". Just follow the news on what Seattle's budget is doing and the FD will mirror. So far, the mayor has proven not to like to cut too much from PD and FD. Good luck in a few weeks.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X