Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GRNFT View Post
    his gut says Nov 11.
    I made it to one of the training sessions and heard the same thing. The earliest they expect to hire anyone is around Thanksgiving of 2011.

Comment

Vets

I will be discharging from the Marines in February, just in time to take the test. Any other vets in my situation? I will be late getting my DD-214 turned in.

Comment

Just give the HR folks a heads up on your 214 so they can add it in after the test. They bend over backwards to help out military guys. I was active duty all through the process, and they really worked with me. Good luck.

Comment

I'm currently In Afghanistan and I would really like to apply for this job. Do you think they would be able to work around that? I'll be home late June/early July 2011 unfortunatly.

Comment

That I don't know. It never hurts to ask. I would think if you can't be here for the testing process, probably not. Thanks for serving though. Sometimes the military guys really do get the short end of the stick when it comes to hiring.

Comment

The test is on apparently...

http://www.seattle.gov/fire/employment/ffjob_home.htm

Comment

King County EMS Certification

I was reading through the information about EMT licenses. It stated that reciprocity with other states/NREMT was only possible as an EMT-B, not at the Paramedic level. So, does that mean these folks will still only qualify to work as an EMT-B within the King County system?

Comment

Originally posted by Hewartson47 View Post
                  I was reading through the information about EMT licenses. It stated that reciprocity with other states/NREMT was only possible as an EMT-B, not at the Paramedic level. So, does that mean these folks will still only qualify to work as an EMT-B within the King County system?
                  As I understand the King Co system, yes, you could only work as a basic there. It used to be, and I believe still is, that you had to go to a King Co medic school to be certified to work there as a medic. I think their protocols and standards are a little bit beyond the National Registry. I could be wrong and I'm sure one of the guys will set me straight if that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewartson47 View Post
                    Correct.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthserv...icOne/als.aspx

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

How does Seattle FD feel about tattoos?

Comment

It's a non issue really as long as it's not offensive or on your face or something like that. We have guys sleeved up. Haven't seen anyone with hand, neck or face though. Not sure that would fly.

Comment

Hey, just a reminder today (7 Jan) is the last day to sign up for the SFD written exam in Feb. Good luck to all.

Comment

Hope this helps

Some inside info on Seattle hiring process. This is no secret, they just don't bother to publish it and it's like pulling teeth to get someone to actually say it. After your third interview you are put into one of three categories, "very suitable", "suitable", "less suitable". Those may not be the exact terms they use but that's the idea. Then someone (I was never able to nail down WHO) selects a number of those files to go to the chief for review. They then pick from those to select who goes to recruit school. Yep, your final "score" is never revealed to you and basically they just pick and choose anyway. Again, my words. I'm sure they would use much more HR positive terms for their process. Someone asked in an earlier message why they lose so many during a recruit class. IMHO they lose anywhere from 5-10 on average out of a class of 24 because they hire based on some sort of political criteria. I've never heard of another department having several people from each class leave because "this just isn't what I thought it would be". Are you kidding me? Out of the 2,000+ people who took their test, there are certainly 24 who are "very suitable" AND know exactly what they are getting into (previous experience, military, etc.). I guess the thing I don't like about Seattle's process is that it is based completely on "theoreticals". You can say pretty much anything you want during an interview as long as it hits the key words and points they are scoring on, and you present a professional front. I'm not saying they should only hire people with fire experience, just that I much prefer an interview process based on things you have actually DONE in your life. Real world answers.

Seattle will almost always hire unless the budget is REALLY bad. They run about 40 positions short at any given time and run overtime to fill (remember we are talking about a 1,000 line-personnel dept.). Even in tough times you are going to have people retiring because they were smart with their money, retiring off the line because of disability, or dying from cancer. Yep that's right. Sadly many who were fighting fires in the 70's and 80's were probably exposed to nasty stuff and maybe didn't wear their SCBAs as much as we do now. I worked at HQ for only 3 years and saw 2 chiefs die from cancer before retirement. They had a string of cancer deaths where all of those who died had worked at station 31 at about the same time. Correlation is not causation, but they did do all sorts of testing and a remodeling to assuage any fears about the station.

Seattle would be a great department to work for. Sadly their civil service process is your biggest enemy. Good luck and don't give up!

Comment

From reading all the info in regards to the testing process, am I correct to say that the written exam is pass/fail?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X