Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting hired with a joyride experience...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting hired with a joyride experience...

I'm in the process of filling out my background check, so I'm prepared if I make it past an interview. One of the questions asked if I have ever gone on a joyride (driving someone else's vehicle without their permission).

Turns out I have. When I was 20, I took my dad's Corvette for a drive when he was out of town. I didn't do it for the fun of it per se, I did it because I felt he didn't respect me as an adult at that point in my life. So rather than talk it over with him as I should have, I drove the car around and voluntarily admitted to it. I used the situation as a catalyst to say "I thought you would realize that you're treating me unfairly and eventually be okay with it."

Although mad at first, my dad eventually came to do just that. I wasn't punished. Childish as it was, it ended up being a really good thing for our relationship. I don't regret the outcome, but I do wish I had been smarter about my actions.

Now, as someone who's looking to hire me as a firefighter, would this be a deal breaker? I could see it being less important if I was 16, but 20 wasn't that long ago (I'm 26 now). Just curious what y'all think.
    Last edited by Hopeful_FF; 10-21-2010, 02:52 PM. Reason: changing an inappropriate word.

If that is the worst thing you have ever done you are fine. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan_01 View Post
      If that is the worst thing you have ever done you are fine. Good luck!
      The worst? Probably not. I have one speeding ticket (5 over), a ticket for following too closely (bogus, contested and deferred) and I've provided alcohol to minors while in college.

That's all of the negative stuff.

Comment

Usually "Joyriding" pertains to riding in a STOLEN vehicle. Not taking your parents car without permission.

Comment

I really don't think that counts as joyriding. Otherwise we'd all be toast every time we snuck out and took Dad's car. I really don't think that is what they mean. Driving someone else's car. Like, not your family's car.

Originally posted by Hopeful_FF View Post
          I didn't do it for the fun of it per se, I did it because I felt he didn't respect me as an adult at that point in my life. So rather than talk it over with him as I should have, I drove the car around and voluntarily admitted to it.
          Where have I seen this before? Oh yea!

Last edited by nmfire; 10-22-2010, 07:22 AM.
          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

How old are you now?????

Were you charged and convicted for the joy ride??

If do what was the charge and level???

What state are you in
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
              How old are you now?????

Were you charged and convicted for the joy ride??

If do what was the charge and level???

What state are you in
              You might want to actually go read the post before asking questions that don't apply.
              Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Just trying to clarify

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. As you know, they treat not divulging information the same as lying, so I wasn't quite sure how to proceed.

They also ask if I have ever stolen a vehicle, or grand theft. If you look at this incident that way, then you could say I did, even though I brought the car back. I just wonder if other firefighters had these experiences but never mentioned them and got through fine. I think the event itself is mitigated by the context, but that doesn't necessarily help when other candidates have fewer check marks in the "yes I did something illegal" column.

In the end, I hope trying to do the right thing doesn't end up hurting me.

Fire49: the car incident happened 6 years ago. I'm 26 now. I was not pulled over or charged with anything. It was literally a 45 minute afternoon drive. It happened in Colorado, but I live in Washington now.
                  Last edited by Hopeful_FF; 10-22-2010, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Some applications just say if you were arrested or convicted

On the car I would say no , no need to metion it unless the question is posed that you have to

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X