I'm in dire need of advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in dire need of advice

This is going to be pretty long, so I thank you in advance for taking the time out of your night to assist me. I do appreciate it more than you know.

My name is Shelby, and my boyfriend began the hiring process in June. He got his initial call back in June. His written test was in July. He turned in that big packet in August. His first oral interview was September 14. He thought he did really well, and was extremely excited about it. He dressed nicely, made every single man on the board interviewing him laugh, and seemed to think that they really took to him. However, we have yet to hear back from anyone about anything.

I've been adamant about contacting SOMEONE and getting his name out there so that they know about him and how badly he wants the job (because he does). They need to know who he is, because of how many people there are. At least that's how I see it. He says that he was explicitly told not to contact them about the position, and he's just relaxing, waiting for an e-mail with names on it that will be dubbed 'The List.'

Well I'm starting to get uneasy. It's been a month, and we haven't heard anything. The longest he's waited between contacts was about two weeks I believe... and that was from the time he submitted the application. He wants this job badly, but moreover, he needs this job. It's the one thing that's going to catapult him out of the horrible sink hole that has been his past.

So what do I do? Do they contact you after the interview, even if you failed it? What is the next step he should take? How do I talk to him about it?

Also, if I'm freaking out for absolutely no reason, tell me.

As a side note: The app is for Gwinnett County. I'm not sure if that piece of info will make a difference.

Any advice would be more than appreciated. Thank you so much!

Let me know how to delete threads.

I don't know how, and I wanted this one deleted from this forum when I posted it.

For the record, I had no intentions of calling the FD or HR Department wanting to check the status of things for him, or tell them how fortunate they would be to hire my sweetie pie. I am concerned, which is something that I don't believe is damnable.

I came to a resource that I believed would have up to date information with a large community that would be willing to help. I didn't come here to be told that I'm a psycho, that 'if I were him I'd break up with you,' or any other snide remarks that would only be said to someone while hiding behind a computer. I came on here for the few responses that were sincere, patient, and willing to help someone out who has never been acquainted with the Fire Fighter hiring process.

For those who replied with constructive, genuine responses, I sincerely thank you for your time. You've been a lot of help. I think I'll just sit tight, and if he wants more information, I could give him a family friend's number, whom I just learned this morning is in the FD, to talk to about the whole thing if he chooses to. For the people who intended to insult me for being concerned, well, it's really cool when adult men insult or otherwise try to hurt a 19 year old girl.

Now, if anyone knows how to delete a thread, I'll get my posts off of here, and you won't hear from me again.

Thanks again. I hope y'all have a good one.

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
    Really?

So anyway.....

Yes. So stop trying to interfere/intervene in something you have no business interfering in before you completely ruin "your sweetie pie's" chances of getting hired. Also, it would be nice to stop embarassing him on an international forum.

Explains everything.
    I have never said his name. You have no idea who I am. With that, there is absolutely no embarrassing factor. Your rebuttal to my first statement is completely invalid; I've wanted him to contact someone. That in no way means that I personally wanted to contact anyone. Hence why I came here for all of the reasons stated above.

I have no interest in going back and forth trying to win an insult war with you, which you seem to have an interest in doing for some reason that I can't fathom. I'm completely finished with this thread, and I only want to know how to delete things off of here.
    Last edited by webteam; 10-19-2010, 02:22 PM. Reason: Posted in several other places - all posts merged

If they really did "explicitly tell him not to call", then he is probably doing the right thing by not calling. This is just my opinion, but if you read around these forums you will read that a big part of getting hired is following instructions.
    Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Comment

If he wants to know, he should make the inquirey. He's a grown man. It is completely inappropriate for his girlfriend/wife/mother to call up and demand to know what her sweetie pie's status is and tell them how special he is. Trust me, that will not help.

And if they told him NOT to to inquire, I don't know why you're even asking this question. You sound like a psycho. If I were your BF, I'd be running very fast.
      Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

double Post

you have posted this in two threads - please read the responses in the other thread. Many talk about going ahead and making the call - but the most accurate response is " explicitly told not to contact us".

Following orders (and not freelancing) is something all FF's are taught from DAY 1 - this is just the start.

let the system take its course.....

PS - I agree with the post about being an "ex-gf" if you push to hard - especially ifyou are the reason this opportunity passes him by

Comment

If he wants to know, he should make the inquirey. He's a grown man. It is completely inappropriate for his girlfriend/wife/mother to call up and demand to know what her sweetie pie's status is and tell them how special he is. Trust me, that will not help.

And if they told him NOT to to inquire, I don't know why you're even asking this question. You sound like a psycho. If I were your BF, I'd be running very fast.
          Agreed.

I never understand when girlfriends/wives get on here and ask questions for their beau's. Seems emasculating.

I could only imagine if someone called the department and claimed to be someone's girlfriend and wanted answers. That would be an interesting call.

Comment

The last time someone's mother called the station looking for their son, I made sure to put her on hold, turn up the station PA volume to full, and announce "ATTENTION IN HOUSE. _______ YOUR MOTHER IS ON THE PHONE. AGAIN, ______ PLEASE PICK UP LINE 1, YOUR MOTHER IS ON THE PHONE LOOKING FOR YOU."
            Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Is this the first test he has taken? I'm not sure if you're looking for information on the testing process or just whether you should call or not. As far as the testing goes, after the written test and interviews usually a list is posted. Depending on how many people they interview can affect how long it takes the post the list. I recently took a consoritum test(multiple departments 1 test) and got my results a week later that I passed. Now over a month later I haven't heard a peep from any of the departments. It's always a waiting game, but once the list is out it depends on if there is preference points to apply for that can affect how much longer until you get a phone call. But I would say it's not unusual to not hear from anyone for over a month.

Comment

The last time someone's mother called the station looking for their son, I made sure to put her on hold, turn up the station PA volume to full, and announce "ATTENTION IN HOUSE. _______ YOUR MOTHER IS ON THE PHONE. AGAIN, ______ PLEASE PICK UP LINE 1, YOUR MOTHER IS ON THE PHONE LOOKING FOR YOU."
                Is there something special about someone's mother calling that leads you to do this? You singled out mothers, so I assume this means you don't engage in this childish behavior if a firefighter's father, brother, sister, husband, wife, son, daughter, girlfriend, or boyfriend calls.

Do you have some mommy issues from childhood that cause you to engage in this childish behavior whenever someone's mother calls? Have you seen a therapist about this? I mean, I'm sorry if your mother turned down your marriage proposal , but that's no reason to take it out on everyone else.

How would you feel if the mother is calling to tell her firefighter son that his father (her husband) just died?
                Last edited by JJR512; 10-19-2010, 02:12 PM.
                -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

Originally posted by uneasy
                  Let me know how to delete threads.

I don't know how, and I wanted this one deleted from this forum when I posted it.
                  You can't. Period!

You can however delete what you have written but not the thread you started.
                  Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Test test test till he gets hired somewhere

It is a matter of luck. And yes he has to put forth his best effort
                    Last edited by fire49; 10-19-2010, 11:21 PM.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

I hope there's more to this story .... why single this guy out because his mom called the station?
                      Career Fire Captain
                      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X