No announcement yet.

Hiring a FF with a felony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am very surprised the Army took you knowing you were a felon!

I have never heard of any the Armed Services taking felons.
    IF they did, they must be hard up!

AS others have said between an applicant without any police record and you, you will loose everytime.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Comment

Originally posted by allineedisu View Post
      AS others have said between an applicant without any police record and you, you will loose everytime.
      Well, except for Bridgeport CT when the city decided it was unfair to convicts and felons and specifically and intentionally hired them as an initiative. The no felon left behind program...
      Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by BigNozzlePumper View Post
        I appreciate the advice. I plan on trying to get a Govorner's pardon to erase my record, but I hear it's a long and sometimes futile process. I will apply to some departments and see what I can get, but most departments list in their PRE-reqs that the applicant is to have no prior criminal charges. That is where I got discouraged. You know, I expected a lot of guys to get on here and just bash on me and tell me not to bother and felons have no place in the FD. So to hear advice, and not a lot of BS is much appreciated. Any website I can go to do some research on Calfire and their hiring processes? Thanks again.
        Do you currently have a legal representative? I have worked as a legal assistant, in TN, for the past 7 years and I have seen things accomplished in many ways. Is there any chance of your atttorney contacting the prosecuter's office to see if, based on your service to your country, clean criminal history since the offense and desire to enter into a field of public service, the prosecuter would be willing to enter into an agreed order of expungement? I have seen this done, if the prosecutor signs off on the agreed motion and order, a judge will usually sign it.
        Last edited by Lisa2000GT; 10-18-2010, 11:33 PM.
        All Pit Bulls are not bad dogs. All bad dogs are not Pit Bulls.

Resist ignorance. Educate - Inspire.
        www.badrap.org

Comment

Wow, tough to say. In the hiring process here, if you are failed during a background, you will have the opportunity to appeal the decision before the fire and police commission.
          They are open to people and have reversed previous decisions to fail an individual, based entirely on how they represented and carried themselves during their appeal process.

The problem here though, is that the city requires anyone hired after January 1, 1985 to keep and maintain a state EMT license. The state will not license anyone as an EMT with any felony conviction. We have had members with 10, 12 and more years who were either fired or forced to resign because of changes in DWI laws. The reason was they were unable to keep their EMT license as a convicted felon.

This is another angle for you to research. Many departments require an EMT license as a condition of employment.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
            Well, except for Bridgeport CT when the city decided it was unfair to convicts and felons and specifically and intentionally hired them as an initiative. The no felon left behind program...
            Yep that is true.

In Virginia, he couldn't get a EMS license with that felony and I really doubt in other states.

It is hard to get that type of felony erased from your background and record.

Plus I don't see a Governor pardon you on a conviction of a Burglary. Not very likely.
            Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Thank you all again for the advice. I have contacted the office in which I chose to try and handle this matter. This is the same office that told me that I was ineligable to receive an expungement. I have just emailed them to see if they can contact the prosecutor's office. I will see if they yield any results. I may ask for a second opinion from another office as well, but from what I understand, Burgulary is a non-expungable offense in the state of Illinois. As far as the EMT license, I have spoken to the instructor's in my home area about the matter, and they say I can be licensed as long as the charge was not drug related or a violent crime. I only have what they said, I have not researched it any further than that. They may be wrong. If I get nowhere, I do plan on taking the route of a Governor's pardon, that is the only shot I have to getting this off my record so I may continue to serve, now as a firefighter instead of a warfighter. If I get nowhere, well I guess it's back to the farm and the volunteer firehouse for me. I do not question God's Will......

Comment

Thank you all again for the advice. I have contacted the office in which I chose to try and handle this matter. This is the same office that told me that I was ineligable to receive an expungement. I have just emailed them to see if they can contact the prosecutor's office. I will see if they yield any results. I may ask for a second opinion from another office as well, but from what I understand, Burgulary is a non-expungable offense in the state of Illinois. As far as the EMT license, I have spoken to the instructor's in my home area about the matter, and they say I can be licensed as long as the charge was not drug related or a violent crime. I only have what they said, I have not researched it any further than that. They may be wrong. If I get nowhere, I do plan on taking the route of a Governor's pardon, that is the only shot I have to getting this off my record so I may continue to serve, now as a firefighter instead of a warfighter. If I get nowhere, well I guess it's back to the farm and the volunteer firehouse for me. I do not question God's Will......

You can do a google search for the EMS authority for what ever state you are interested in. Example Virginia EMS, Maryland EMS or Illinois EMS

Look at their guidlines and also they will have a 800 phone muber in most cases you can call and get the answer from the agency.
                Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Thank you sir. I researched it and it appears I will be able to get my EMT license. I have the number of an attorney in Northern Illinois who may be able to help me get the pardon I need. I will have to talk to him soon and get the ball rolling. I can only hope it works out.

Comment

It's worth a try. There is not supposed to be any post-conviction expungements in TN either if it's not agreed to in a plea deal or in sentencing BUT I have still seen in done in a similar manner to which I've described. Wishing you the best of luck. Most of us have done something wrong/illegal in our early life (street racing, DUI, experimenting with drugs, etc.) and have been fortunate enough to mature and stop our bad behavior BEFORE we got caught, hurt or hurt somebody else. It sounds like you deserve a break, I hope you can catch one.
                    All Pit Bulls are not bad dogs. All bad dogs are not Pit Bulls.

Resist ignorance. Educate - Inspire.
                    www.badrap.org

Comment

Well I appreciate it. I also appreciate all the other advice given to me. I will be sure to keep any progress posted, if anyone cares. On another note, I just discovered our FOB (Forward Operating Base) now has an apparatus. It is a Ford Mini-pumper. I saw it briefly as I came in the gate the other day after living outside the wire for 2 weeks. I am anxious to see what kind of setup they have. I will probably volunteer to wash the rig FOR THEM, that's how much I miss my firehouse. Anyways, thanks again.

Comment

I work here in Cali and wasn't aware my damn self that Cal Fire had a program for hiring people with felonies. However, I am aware that the U.S. Forest Service has a program for such. It's a slightly different fire service career, however, it is a career; And has a great career ladder and track at the upper levels (i.e. Battalion Chief, Division Chief, ect..) Give it a look! Good Luck Bro!

"The Axeman"

Comment

Will def do some looking into it. Appreciate all the advice. I have seen how some forums do a lot of rib jabbing, none of it in good humor, and am happy to see a lot of advice and positive encouragement from those on there. Much appreciated. Stay safe everybody!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X