No announcement yet.

Arlington, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my letter and passed.. anyone know how many are going to CPAT?

Comment

I got my letter, but im using my pg cpat cert to by bypass their cpat.

Comment

Thinking about it now, my friends and I couldn't remember them saying anything about how they rank the candidates after the testing's done. Is the ranking based on just CPAT scores, or scores from the written + CPAT, or is there a different method they use?

Anyone remember them saying anything about this, or know how they do it?

Comment

I would imagine they rank us based on some combination of written, cpat, and interviews. That's just a guess based on past processes I've been in though. Anyone heard any rumors as to how many they may be looking to hire yet?

Comment

Originally posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
            Thinking about it now, my friends and I couldn't remember them saying anything about how they rank the candidates after the testing's done. Is the ranking based on just CPAT scores, or scores from the written + CPAT, or is there a different method they use?

Anyone remember them saying anything about this, or know how they do it?
            Originally posted by FirefighterFid View Post
            I would imagine they rank us based on some combination of written, cpat, and interviews. That's just a guess based on past processes I've been in though. Anyone heard any rumors as to how many they may be looking to hire yet?
            CPAT is supposed to be pass/fail, while some departments do rank folks that pass by time, I do not believe that Arlington has done that in the past. Your test score should be the ranking tool, everything else is used to eliminate those that don't meet the minimum. Not sure if veteran status provides any weight at the current time or not.
            Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
            -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
            LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

I have heard Arlington County will undergo it's largest retirement period in the history of the county. A current firefighter from Arlington County thought they may have as many as 60 recruits, shooting for 2 recruitment classes. It all depends on what the county has been approved for and ultimately the monies allocated to the new recruitment classes. I have also heard there are close to over 1,500 applicants...... Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Jdobbs View Post
                I have heard Arlington County will undergo it's largest retirement period in the history of the county. A current firefighter from Arlington County thought they may have as many as 60 recruits, shooting for 2 recruitment classes. It all depends on what the county has been approved for and ultimately the monies allocated to the new recruitment classes. I have also heard there are close to over 1,500 applicants...... Good luck
                This is true due to some changes in post retirement benefits.

Comment

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the runs this dept makes? I saw on the county site run totals for the different apparatus, but nothing specifying what they were: working fires, MVAs, alarms, EMS, etc.

Anyone have any info on this?

Comment

Originally posted by firefireeverywhere View Post
                    I was wondering if anyone had any info on the runs this dept makes? I saw on the county site run totals for the different apparatus, but nothing specifying what they were: working fires, MVAs, alarms, EMS, etc.

Anyone have any info on this?
                    The majority of the calls are EMS, hence why they put you through EMT class as part of the recruit school. Decent amount of alarms. If you are looking for a lot of fire, you won't find it here. They do get some. MVAs are decent as well. I can't actual numbers though. ACFD is a good department. New equipment, relatively progressive, and good FF.

Comment

Question for anyone who is currently working on the background questionnaire.

It says we are allowed to type our responses but I'm unfamiliar with how to save/copy the file into a program to edit my own words into it. Am I stuck writing(poor handwriting) it or is there a simple solution? Thanks in advance

Comment

Hey scubadvr, do you know how they do units assignments? Do probies ride the ambulances for a certain amount of time in the beginning? Or is it a by shift type deal whether you're on the engine/truck/rig?

Comment

Originally posted by firefireeverywhere View Post
                          Hey scubadvr, do you know how they do units assignments? Do probies ride the ambulances for a certain amount of time in the beginning? Or is it a by shift type deal whether you're on the engine/truck/rig?
                          Unless you are a Paramedic, as a FF/EMT probie you will spend most of your time on the Truck and Engine.
                          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                          -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

Unless you are a Paramedic, as a FF/EMT probie you will spend most of your time on the Truck and Engine.
                            I believe after a year, you have to enroll in an ALS class, is that right? Then you get thrown onto the rig I'm assuming?

Comment

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
                              He is right. You are assigned to a station out of school. Some are single engines, engines/medics, 3 are engines/trucks/medics, and 2 are engines/rescue/medic. No matter which station you are assigned to, you will be responsible for knowing the inventories and specs of engines/trucks/rescues/medics. Depending on where you go determines which you will have to know. You don't get a choice as far as where you get assigned. It comes down to department needs, your personalitly and how you do in recruit school.

After a certain amount of time, I believe your tenth month of employment. They can have you drive the medic unit, but that all depends on how well you know your stuff. Also the ALS requirement may send you to school right after probation or it may take a little while. Again all depends on needs.

Comment

Thanks! I've been looking around online, and haven't come across any of this info.

So after that proby period, is it a daily decision on what you ride, or is it a set period you ride the engine, then a set period you ride the bus?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X