No announcement yet.

Question on if this may disqualify me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on if this may disqualify me.

Hey everyone. Just a few quick questions. I have three traffic related tickets on my record since I started driving. The first was a parking ticket when I was 16. I recieved an expired tabs ticket in 2007 and rolled through a stop sign earlier this summer. As far as I have read DUIs and speeding tickets seem to be the main issue in hiring, but wanted to know if I will have trouble with these as well. Thanks in advance.

In the Dallas area, some say you can't have more than 3 in the last 3 or 5 years. Some are even more strict, you can't have 2 in the last 3 or 5 years.

DUI DWI...and any other abbreviated way to refer to drinking and driving will most likely kill your chances.

Pull up the depts that you want to work for and check out their dq's.

Comment

You didn't infer that you had a DUI, so I'll assume you don't and were just referring to it being a deal breaker. For most departments, it is.

Had to do a quick search, and found that you're now ~24.
      The parking ticket at 16 shouldn't be anything to worry about, as long as it was a minor infraction. If you fess up to parking in a handicapped space or the fire lane, that may be something else.
      Expired meter; not so much.

Expired tabs can be an issue. Depends on how long you went without renewing shows attention to detail and adherence to the law.

Rolling stop - Who hasn't done that out of most of us here and haven't been caught?

When it comes to citations, they're usually looking for patterns (i.e. : multiple speeding tiickets, felony evading, etc)
      You have a few blemishes, but none to really worry about (IMO), as long as you have a good explanation and not an excuse. Just continue to show better/proper judgement when operating a motor vehicle.

Good luck.

Comment

Most look at moving violations

But if a person had bunch of say parking tickets yea kind of goes to character
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

These types of questions seem to come up a lot on here. I got hired with two parking tickets (expired meter), and one speeding ticket (70 in a 55). Here is what the department I worked for has to say on the subject.

Conviction background and driving record
          Q. I have some convictions and some traffic violations in my history. How do I know if
          those will disqualify me from consideration?
          A. TVF&R does not apply any blanket policy to consideration of candidate conviction
          histories and driving records, but reviews circumstances on a case-by-case basis. Our
          considerations take into mind the obligations we owe to our citizens to protect them as
          well as what a conviction history and/or driving record says about a candidate’s judgment,
          respect for the law, maturity and general character. Crimes against persons as well as
          property crimes are taken very seriously due to the access our Firefighters have to
          persons and homes when called to a scene.

Q. I have some significant convictions in my past, but they do not represent the
          person I am today. How can I make sure those don’t pose an obstacle to being
          selected for appointment?
          A. You must make a compelling case for why the District should consider you in light of your
          conviction history. You may do this on the application itself, or if you feel you can be more
          effective by attaching a separate statement, that is encouraged.

Comment

Originally posted by jt5656 View Post
            Hey everyone. Just a few quick questions. I have three traffic related tickets on my record since I started driving. The first was a parking ticket when I was 16. I recieved an expired tabs ticket in 2007 and rolled through a stop sign earlier this summer. As far as I have read DUIs and speeding tickets seem to be the main issue in hiring, but wanted to know if I will have trouble with these as well. Thanks in advance.
            Most departments in My region state to be hired YOU Must Maintain your state License meaning They Realize as Painful as It might be to have your MOM drive you to work every day till she dies, that is possible, however, Many departments expect each member to train and become qualified on the company your assigned at least ( bigger departments that may only be a specific type of apparatus in smaller venues maybe everything they have...) if you cant maintain a license or lost it suspended for 5 years or something , Guess what I am going to say when you come to me for employement? cuz there are a hundred others who have they're LIC. Maybe, if you grow up come see me when you turn 30 and well keep boned up on doing your physical agillities maybe you'll get a job after all.. clean up and grow up

Comment

If the only tickets that you have ever received are the ones you listed above, then you should be fine. Good luck!
              Stay Safe
              Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
              - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
              -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X