No announcement yet.

California Fire Dept's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the comments/help everybody, but I know what I have to do. Be the best damn paramedic I can be. I'm not going to quit. If I spend the rest of my career as a medic so be it. I tried. Thanks again everyone.

-John

Comment

Quite a few depts hiring in norcal. You just have to be proactive. I just counted 12. Most are for ff/emt. Gotta know where to look instead of the obvious places. Good luck.

Comment

California Fire Depts.

JohnnySF,

There's been a lot of good advise posted before I read this, but I think something that has failed to be mentioned is a position in wildland fire. I know it may not be the "badge" that you are looking for, but it will give you the opportunity to be a firefighter / EMT and gain a lot of experience in all-risk emergency response which can be an exceptional resume builder for other employement down the road. Additionally the hiring process is much shorter and typically easier to get into than municipal depts, and since you seem to have somewhat of a time crunch this may be a good option for you to stay in California and be a firefighter.

Just a thought! USFS, Cal Fire, and other federal agencies all do their seasonal firefighter hiring very soon, you should look into it! Pay rates and benefits are always much much better than working for any private EMT or fire contract company. Hope this helps!

Comment

My story:

BA in Public Administration
          Bilingual in Spanish/English
          EMT/EMTP-working in both.
          Volunteer
          FFI
          COULD NOT SEEM TO GET THE JOB for years...So discouraged. At about 4 years after starting, even my mom was saying, "Hey, you've done alot of great stuff! Just move on and do something else. Its nothing to be ashamed of if you don't get the job..."

I almost started to believe I couldn't do it...

I was driving one day from work as a medic in SF to see a girl I was dating in the south bay and thinking about what I was going to try to do with my life if I didn't get the badge. I get a page from a friend who was crashing at my place in SF to save money that says I needed to call him immediately, "EMERGENCY". I wonder what the hell happened and find a place off the 280 to call him. I call and don't even get the first word finished before he yells, "Dude! I just got a call. This lady asks for you and I say i'm you because i've got this feeling that its important. She says she's from the City of Las Vegas and is calling to offer me the position of firefighter for the City! I'm so excited and tell her 'YES!'...She laughs because i'm so fired up and gives me all the information for when to start. I'm so into it, I hang up and can't believe I just got the job!...and then I go ****, the job's for Paul...I gotta get ahold of him NOW!"

I'm standing at a payphone off this crazy exit with my crazy friend who just impersonated me to make sure I got the job and everything I'd worked for, suffered for, and dreamed of...was finally coming true. Every doubt, every question like, "Why would you put yourself through this?" (my dad's btw.), everything in one moment had become worth it...(Crazy Bill got picked up within a year in the Bay Area. I married the girl. I've worked for the department for 12 years now. Life is good.)

The difference between those who do and those who don't:

1. The do's are better testers. Become a better fire department test taker! It took me FOREVER to figure this out. Once I learned how to do it CORRECTLY, I started to go very deep in the process and getting the kinds of responses I was hoping for. It was a short trip from there to the badge. Get the oral board courses from people like Capt. Bob and Chief Lepore, and if your don't see any improvement, get some coaching. Practice. Practice. Practice.

2. Don't quit. I understand wanting to make your dad proud...and your sense of urgency due to his illness. I can say from personal experience, that the pride your father has for you and the happiness you give him will only grow if you keep not taking "no" for an answer and improving yourself.

Finally, I heard all of the reasons for people not getting hired...Unfair process, testing process not really made for hiring the most qualified, hiring of specific ethnicities or sexes, all of it... Try to remember that if the world was fair and perfect, it wouldn't need people like us.

Go do it, man. Don't give up. You're almost there. You just don't see it yet through the fog of frustration.

Paul
          Last edited by PaulC.; 11-23-2010, 10:37 AM.
          PaulC
          FF/EMTP
          City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
          gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Comment

PaulC- Thats a great story!! Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

My pleasure. I hope it helps. The process can be frustrating and make the individual doubt their abilities. I want guys to know that people have been where they are, and it can be done!
              PaulC
              FF/EMTP
              City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
              gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Comment

Just saw your post, PaulC. Thanks for the reply. I actually just failed out of paramedic school today (made it half way through). I have a whole lot of emotions/thoughts running through my head right now, to say the least. I'm ready to through in the towel pending my results on a Reserve Firefighter position here in the Bay Area. If I get in there then I'll bust my butt and stay there as long as I have to. The Captain told me directly, they unofficially only hire reserves for there full time FF/EMT and FF/Medic positions. Since they started the program 30 years ago no outsiders have been brought on full time, just reserves. After that I don't know what the hell to do. Currently I work construction, bartend, and have a fiance. Thus no life, lol. We'll see what happens. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again for the kind words, right now it means a lot.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X