X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptBob
    replied
    The Call Doesn’t Come

You have done everything you can do to get hired. Your number one! The letter arrives informing you that you are out of the process. You’re devastated. You don’t know why. You want to know. Maybe there’s something you can do, someone you can talk to convince them you’re the guy they need; there has to be a mistake. Just give me a chance to prove myself.

What do you do now? You feel hurt, angry, frustrated and betrayed. Well, there is not much you can do. If you push too hard you might hurt your chances of getting on somewhere else. Even if you are able to get someone to talk to you, you probably will never really find out why. It just happens sometimes for whatever reason. Maybe some of those selected won't pass background?

My advice. Go through the denial, anger, and depression. Lick your wounds and accept what happened. Then, regroup and get back out there and test again. If you made it this far, chances are you can do it again. Maybe with a better department than you hoped for.

"Shoot for the moon. If you miss you will end up among the stars"-- Les Brown

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Originally posted by Drobinson View Post
    It was a civil service test. The way she explained it was that if they had an operational need for medics they could "dip down" and hire those people first

There is your answer PaL.

Leave a comment:

• babcusar5
    replied
    It was a civil service test. The way she explained it was that if they had an operational need for medics they could "dip down" and hire those people first
    That is real common in agencies that provide both ALS and BLS service. Many agencies have a hard time getting people through the background checks. You may still have a chance.

Leave a comment:

• fire49
    replied
    Keep on testing

In my opinion it is a throw of the dice of you get hired

Leave a comment:

• sredish
    replied
    so are you emtb? if so, then they probably had a preference for medics and opted the medics over you. the test is a big part of it but not all of it.

Leave a comment:

• Drobinson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jonnee
    replied
    I just tested with a small dept. in near where I live in Texas. It was my best test score to date. We took the physical agility first which I passed. I wrote a 97.3 on the written which put me third on the list. I get an e-mail from the civil service director which I assume went out to everyone that passed stating that they only wanted personal history statements from 5 people. The frustrationg part is that i wasnt one of them! They took the 2 guys above me which both made a 99 and three medics that were below me on the list that made 90, 85, and 82. Sooo frustrating

Are you sure it was a civil service exam?

Normally they go straight down the list, providing the applicant doesn't have anything in their background that would prevent them of being considered and hired.

Leave a comment:

• Drobinson
    started a topic A little frustrating

A little frustrating

I just tested with a small dept. in near where I live in Texas. It was my best test score to date. We took the physical agility first which I passed. I wrote a 97.3 on the written which put me third on the list. I get an e-mail from the civil service director which I assume went out to everyone that passed stating that they only wanted personal history statements from 5 people. The frustrationg part is that i wasnt one of them! They took the 2 guys above me which both made a 99 and three medics that were below me on the list that made 90, 85, and 82. Sooo frustrating

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X