No announcement yet.

New York City firefighting PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York City firefighting PLEASE HELP!

I am 22 years old, Iam going to be Leaving for bootcamp very soon and ill have 5 years of navy goin on. Iam very very interested in persuing a career as a Full time fully paid fireman in New York City. Can anyone give me A idea of what i have to do to get to this. I wanna know how much school there is. I wanna know what i can possibly do to Get higher pay. I also wanna know what starting salary is, and what is everything on the job like? PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!

Originally posted by USNguyAO View Post
    I am 22 years old, Iam going to be Leaving for bootcamp very soon and ill have 5 years of navy goin on. Iam very very interested in persuing a career as a Full time fully paid fireman in New York City. Can anyone give me A idea of what i have to do to get to this. I wanna know how much school there is. I wanna know what i can possibly do to Get higher pay. I also wanna know what starting salary is, and what is everything on the job like? PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!
    Wow.....well that's a long series of questions. First of all, there are only full time paid firemen in New York City. If you haven't noticed, hiring is frozen in NYC and there is no answer as to when it will resume. There will be a test sometime over the next year or so and you have to take it. It is followed by a physical agility, medical, psych and background investigation and the process following the test takes about a year.

Starting pay is about 36,000 and change, going up to 78,000 over 5 years. You can't "get more pay" unless you get promoted.....and that takes years and years. Why did you capitalize "Get"? Besides, worry about getting on the job, not getting more money!

The oldest you can be to take the test is 29.

Comment

If you want to be a firefighter I would advise doing some research on your own, especially if you have a specific department you wish to be a part of. No offense, but you clearly have no idea about FDNY and your post gives off a vibe where you want the job handed to you because you did not do any research on your own and are begging for help. You will be going up against thousands of guys who want it just as bad if not more then you so you need to go and learn everything. Go onto FDNY website and also various other departments and learn for yourself. You should never ask people for help without helping yourself first.

You are taking the right steps my joining the military and getting veterans points. Also, thank you for your service. I hope this didn't come off as harsh or like I am a dick because I am not. All the information you asked for is on the FDNY website.

Comment

You wanna get higher pay?
        Don't become a New York City Fireman

Try thumbing through the actual thread of guys & gals waiting to get on the job and what they're going through.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97154

Comment

Originally posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
          The oldest you can be to take the test is 29.
          You'll be eligible to waive 5 years with your service with an Honorable Discharge. And depending on when the filing is at that point down the road, you may have up to 33.

Comment

Originally posted by ffbam24 View Post
            You'll be eligible to waive 5 years with your service with an Honorable Discharge. And depending on when the filing is at that point down the road, you may have up to 33.

Plus then, there maybe be several thousand taking the test and if you don't make a 100 and some do and have a veteran points you may not have much of a chance.

If you are looking at making big bucks seek a job else where. The cost of living in the City isn't the best as it can be elsewhere.
            Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

One more thing I forgot........there are almost 500 pages of posts from people hoping to get on and stuck in limbo. I'm sure many of them would take far less money for the opportunity that they have been denied...for several years.

Think about that, not how you can line your pockets.

And of course, thank you for your military service.

Comment

sorry you guys

I didnt mean to make it sound like i was money hungry, iam just very worried about the future thats all, iam very respectful of all the men and woman who gave there lives in 9/11 or over time. Im just very curious from people who have had hands on with the NYCFD, The city life interests me and i would love to be a firemen in that big and beautiful city, believe me i will be doing the research over there years, and I will work hard and pray even harder that iam blessed to work along the fighting men and woman of NYCFD!

Comment

FDNY not NYCFD (see what I mean about researching it?).. I wasn't judging you and know nothing about you and respect that you are serving our nation. Like I said I hope I didn't come off as a dick but you need to go tot he website and learn and research.
                  Last edited by deacon17; 10-03-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X