Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDNYPD
    replied
    You most definitely can get hired with a DUI. Some cops (keep in mind, they arrest people for DUI) have a DUI and they still get hired.

Your problem lies in that if any of your competition doesnt have a DUI, they beat you. It can come down to you and one other guy, they still beat you. You just have to wait for the cards to fall where you want them. Your thoughts should be at 27/28, do you want to spend the time and training to do continuing on this path or try for something else. Can you, in your most honest thoughts, wait another 10 years to be a paid firefighter?

You have an EMT-B. Bouncing around local departments can earn you a pretty fat pay day if you are willing to work, even part time.

If you do get those tickets removed, still tell background investigators about them. Nothing is sealed

In continuring with what your fellow firehouse mates are saying, are you doing anything to make up for it? Volunteer with MADD or Narcotics Annon. Above all, show a pattern of good rather than disregard for the law.

Source: I'm in the exact same boat except with police. No DUI but other dents in the background and plenty of rejections from employment. I'll get one shot each with NYPD and FDNY (assuming 6019 gets what they're fighting for).
    Last edited by FDNYPD; 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mmillner81
    replied
    Keep testing. No doubt you will have a hard time, but don't give up.
    I knew a guy who had a DUI and got hired and a guy who got caught with 2 LBS of weed. 2 LBS!!! They where able to explain that they have cleaned up there act. With all your certs and what not, it looks like you did too.
    Like other posts have said, be as clean as a whistle from here on out.

Leave a comment:

• paulLepore
    replied
    Matt,
    We are down 5 guys right now. The City Manager is still waiting for the state budget to sort out (as you know, California is broke). We are similar to a lot of departments that are carrying vacancies right now. I expect this to change in the next year or so. Many of the senior guys who have been hanging on are begining to contemplate retirement. Hang tight, things will loosen up

Leave a comment:

• Golzy12
    replied
    Originally posted by JakeCheez View Post
    PowerHour-

When is your Dept. Hiring? HAHA! Seriously, though, Thank you for the inspiring words. Hearing that fuels my drive to push forward.

MedicMatt-

It's good (and BAD) to hear I'm not alone. Last year I tested with St. Paul (along with 3,500 others) and ranked 325. Good, but not good enough. My buddy ranked in the top 1% (top 35) and he didn't even get a call for an interview!

The first department I applied for was Salt Lake City and with 2,800 other candidates, I ranked 3. I was called back for a second administrative interview and at the end, the Chief shook my hand and said 'welcome, start making your moving arrangements'. I was on top of the world, but the next day I had a second psych eval. I talked with the psychiatrist about my criminal history, like it was just that- history. I belittled the charges and in the end (him being a city offical) had the final word, that overrided the Chief. I didn't get the position and I ranked 3 out of 2,800!
    The Chief called me the next day to apologize and he gave me one peice of advise that I will never forget:

--The World Recognizes Persistance--

I learned that the fight for this job isn't over especcially IF you get it.

I will be applying at Eden Prairie FD, again this year and I hope the world recognizes my persistance. I will also be going for Eagan and Hopkins (all volunteer).
    There are only 6 paid/full-time departments in the state and 4 are within the Metro area. My plan is to get on a volunteer dept. for 2 years (while keeping my nose clean), then button down on a paid dept, while maintaining my post on the volunteer dept.

good luck in the job search and keep me posted-
    There are a lot more then 6 full time departments in MN. Check out MPFF.org there is a list of all of the departments that have full time firefighters that are part of MPFF

Leave a comment:

• gbsb11
    replied
    op, my suggestion would be getting EMT-P certification if you want to get on a full time department.
    Here is a department hiring EMT-P/FFI&II

http://www.virginiamn.us/

Leave a comment:

• ffmedicmatt
    replied
    Originally posted by paulLepore View Post
    Jake,
    While there are always exceptions to the rule, the problem with your profile is that it shows a pattern of not paying attenton to society's laws. It started when you were 17 and it continues today. First it was a DUI, then it was being arrested for pot. It continues to a lesser degree with FIVE speeding tickets. Most people do not get this many in 40 years of driving. You have accumulated them in a 10 year period - every 2 years.

Yes, you may very well be a great guy. There may be examples of people who have worst backgrounds than you (there are examples being posted by previous posters), but YOU have asked for advice, not them.

Can you get hired? Anything is possible. Would you pass a background examination in my region? I seriously doubt it.

You have done well by getting a job as a truck driver. This shows that you MAY have put your driving issues behind you. Unfortunately in the eyes of a prospective employer, it may be too little too late.

The one exception MAY be if you get a paramedic license. I have seen that the fewer applicants a department has to choose from, the less picky they tend to be with background examinations.
    Paul, Im a paramedic with a clean driving record. Got room on your department for me??? I'd love to be in So.Cal

Leave a comment:

• sweetpete
    replied
    A criminal past is still a criminal past. It doesn't matter HOW LONG ago it was or how old you were when you committed them.

There are too many good candidates with clean records to choose from. Besides, the liability that a city would have to take on by hiring you is large. There aren't many cities willing to roll the dice.

Truck driving may be your future. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I drove a truck part time until I got my fire job. It was the best time (besides my current job) I've ever had on a job.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• paulLepore
    replied
    Jake,
    While there are always exceptions to the rule, the problem with your profile is that it shows a pattern of not paying attenton to society's laws. It started when you were 17 and it continues today. First it was a DUI, then it was being arrested for pot. It continues to a lesser degree with FIVE speeding tickets. Most people do not get this many in 40 years of driving. You have accumulated them in a 10 year period - every 2 years.

Yes, you may very well be a great guy. There may be examples of people who have worst backgrounds than you (there are examples being posted by previous posters), but YOU have asked for advice, not them.

Can you get hired? Anything is possible. Would you pass a background examination in my region? I seriously doubt it.

You have done well by getting a job as a truck driver. This shows that you MAY have put your driving issues behind you. Unfortunately in the eyes of a prospective employer, it may be too little too late.

The one exception MAY be if you get a paramedic license. I have seen that the fewer applicants a department has to choose from, the less picky they tend to be with background examinations.

Leave a comment:

• JakeCheez
    replied
    PowerHour-

I forgot to mention:
    I have plenty of great 'stories' and I can cook like non-other. Too bad, those qualities havn't gotten me a leg-up on the other guys (and girls).
    Also, I posted my name like that because I have nothing to hide. I hope that when a Department searches my name (if they do) that they will find the truth; I think honest and integrity go far in life-

Leave a comment:

• JakeCheez
    replied
    PowerHour-

When is your Dept. Hiring? HAHA! Seriously, though, Thank you for the inspiring words. Hearing that fuels my drive to push forward.

MedicMatt-

It's good (and BAD) to hear I'm not alone. Last year I tested with St. Paul (along with 3,500 others) and ranked 325. Good, but not good enough. My buddy ranked in the top 1% (top 35) and he didn't even get a call for an interview!

The first department I applied for was Salt Lake City and with 2,800 other candidates, I ranked 3. I was called back for a second administrative interview and at the end, the Chief shook my hand and said 'welcome, start making your moving arrangements'. I was on top of the world, but the next day I had a second psych eval. I talked with the psychiatrist about my criminal history, like it was just that- history. I belittled the charges and in the end (him being a city offical) had the final word, that overrided the Chief. I didn't get the position and I ranked 3 out of 2,800!
    The Chief called me the next day to apologize and he gave me one peice of advise that I will never forget:

--The World Recognizes Persistance--

I learned that the fight for this job isn't over especcially IF you get it.

I will be applying at Eden Prairie FD, again this year and I hope the world recognizes my persistance. I will also be going for Eagan and Hopkins (all volunteer).
    There are only 6 paid/full-time departments in the state and 4 are within the Metro area. My plan is to get on a volunteer dept. for 2 years (while keeping my nose clean), then button down on a paid dept, while maintaining my post on the volunteer dept.

good luck in the job search and keep me posted-

Leave a comment:

• gobears75
    replied
    Thats one of the best posts that Ive read on this site Powerhour

Leave a comment:

• powerhourcoug
    replied
    Jake,

I think you can get hired. Might take a few years.

You seem like a sharp, straight up guy. I for one appreciate your honesty and humility. Putting your name out there for everyone to see (and google, look up on Facebook, etc.) takes some stones.

If you're making it to Chief's interviews, that means they like you, and they want to hire you. Unfortunately the proximity of your transgressions forces them to make administrative decisions regarding your suitability as a candidate.

There are plenty of hypocrites on these boards who will throw jabs and hide anonymously behind the safety of their computer monitors. Take things with a grain of salt.

I know several great guys who have gotten hired with DUI's. I know even more great guys, guys who are hired who have admittedly driven when they shouldn't have. They just never got caught. Does it make it right? Hell no. You were a young kid who made a mistake. 10 years is a long time ago.

Regarding the reefer - same story. Get a few more years behind you.

Drive like an old lady from here on out. I know it's not easy. I love to drive fast. I'm aggressive (AKA "Type A") by nature. Lots of us are. When I drive (on and off duty) I'm intensely aware of my surroundings, and often I'm a few ticks over the speed limit (more so in my POV). Am I unsafe? Not at all.

Your driving record will always be accessible to the LEO's who will do your backgrounds. There is always a record, even if you get it expunged. Best thing you can do is avoid getting more tickets.

I'm no angel. I got hired. I know plenty of other people who aren't angels either. They got hired too.

There are guys on this board who told me I wasn't hireable, with their same old cut and paste messages, telling me what I couldn't do. I didn't listen to them, just kept busting *** to be the best candidate I could be. I knew they couldn't make snap judgements about me from behind a computer screen.

I wasn't a cut and paste candidate. You might not be either. In the end it's up to you, and entirely within your control. I've been on for three years now, and was offered by several departments, with nothing to hide.

I work with a guy with a past you wouldn't believe. He's got some of the craziest stories (sex, drugs, jailhouse fistfights, you name it) you've ever heard. He hides none of it. Never has. Guess what? He's a bull fireman, one of the best you'll ever meet. Guys would fight to have him on their crew. Strong, smart, honest, good with people, courageous, and most importantly cool under pressure.

Is he the prototypical Gordon Graham candidate? Hell no. Is he nice to the people he works with, nice to his customers, and good at his job? Hell yes, he's one of our best.

And most importantly, he's a blast to work with, and has some damn good stories. Great people and great stories are worth their weight in gold in this job!!!!

Luckily the people in my department don't fall into the administrative, Dudley Do-Right BS hiring trap. We take guys who wouldn't get hired elsewhere. And we have damn good fireman, and a damn good fire department. We are not alone in this hiring philosophy.

Might take you a bit, but on paper I think you can do it, if you keep your nose clean from here on out, and are patient and persistent. That's assuming you aren't a d-bag in person. I'm guessing you aren't.

That's just little old me talking, spewing anonymous advice from behind the safety of my computer screen
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 02-10-2011, 03:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ffmedicmatt
    replied
    There with ya man. 25 y/o AAS in fire science, firefighter II, paramedic with ACLS, PALS, ITLS, BLS instructor, HazMat Technician, Water Rescue and Ice Rescue Technician, 4 years experiance on a combo (full time and vollie) dept, work for a private ambulance company now, clean driving and background records and I have tested at I believe 10 depts (I stopped counting at 7 or 8) and no job. Just middle of the list on many of the depts.

I have been getting to my "wits end" with the testing process even getting to the point of saying I will go back to school and become a RN. I really makes me mad that the civil service process passes over A LOT of great candidates that may not score well on a written or be able to win the strongest man in the world compition. I don't know...maybe it's just my wanting to get a job but it sucks testing and spending money to go nowhere but get a letter that says your 41st on a list or 603rd or whatever.

I'm in a process now where over 4,000 people signed up to test. I'm in the top 1,000 but I look at it as I still have over 900 people I need to get in front of. So what if I've beat out 3,000 some people. I still don't have a job but I have gotten a lot of boosts from the posts on here and talking with a lot of others who are in the same boat as we are. So all in all keep going and sooner than later (hopefully very very sooner) we'll all get hired.

Leave a comment:

• JakeCheez
    replied
    Box Alarm-

Since I have started this post, I met a girl......and will not be moving out of state. This drastically reduced my options for Fire Departments to apply at, but this also means that my current certs (which I received in MN) will be valid in MN.

As for the background vs. interview. I agree. My interview and/or test skills are as good as the other candidates, but my record is worse. The question is; what can I do to improve my record? A police officer told me that I can get ANY tickets over 5 years old, removed. If I do that, should I not mention them on my background info? The main thing is that I want to be as honest and straightforward as possible. It troubles me that a candidate with proper training, honesty and respect, can not overcome mistakes made over a decade ago (and as a minor).

I will never stop trying, I just need some advice on what to do to IMPROVE my standing/chances at succeeding in my lifelong goal.

In addition to driving for a (temporary) career, I have been volunteering at the Red Cross as an EMT.

The criticism is understood, but the ADVICE is what I'm looking for-

Thanks again, everyone. Your knowledge and experience is much appreciated!
    Last edited by JakeCheez; 02-23-2011, 08:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    This isn't related to the background thing (that's been belabored enough), but you need to check with where you want to move to see if your "national" certifications are accepted by the state you're moving to.

Some states recognize ProBoard, others recognize IFSAC. Some recognize both, some recognize neither. Better check before you move. In a lot of places it'll be be a moot point anyway, no matter how many certs you have, if you get hired, you'll repeat all of that training anyway.

OK, I lied, let me mention the background really quick: My guess is that you interview and test as well as several other candidates, but since they have a far cleaner background than you do, they're getting chosen for the limited number of available positions.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X