Is this a good plan to get hired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good plan to get hired?

Well, I live in a small rural area where the closest city does have a paid fire department. I've applied to it as well as a few others a bit farther away with no luck. I'm only 18. I'm fresh out of high school and as much as i wish i did, i have no significant fire training due to the rarity of what comes around here. I do have VA EMT-B, vehicle extrication, and EVOC however. Being that my applications have no real allure to them in the eyes of departments, i was considering going into the Air Force. From what i read, i can be a firefighter there, get PAID to do my training, which consists of everything people here are taught and much more. If i took this route, I'd have more training that just about anyone here. On top of that, i could get the military to pay for my 2 year trip to medic school at a nearby community college once i get out. Granted i want there to be some way to get my CE for my EMT while i'm in the Air Force if i do decide to join, because i don't want to let it run out and have to do it over again when i get out. But the whole question here is if i go into the service and get all my training and such, how much would my chances of being hired go up? would i be better off to apply after medic school as well? just to have one more thing on my resume? I'm sorry if i'm missing anything basic here or overlooking something simple that would be an easier solution, but i am only 18..i don't have much experience with the hiring process of paid departments.

Depends

What does your state or departments around you require to apply ???

If just a high school diploma, then my answer would be the air force only looks hood on the resume

If some type of training is require in your state, you have to look if they accept the air force training

About the only thing air force gives you is arrf , they do not fight that much fire and training may be a little behind civilian depts

Just my opinion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Suggest you keep applying at any and very dept and get what training if any you need

Remember Also with the air force you are looking at 4 years down the road before you can even apply fir a civilian dept

Comment

MHVFD, couple of questions for you before I give you my 2 cents. Does this "dream department" you wish to get on give Veterans preference points and/or residency points? Do they give any sort of "preference" to those applicants with their Paramedic and/or EMT-B certification? Any lastly what are the requirements for applying to this department?

Answer these questions for me and I can help ya out.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FF173 View Post
          MHVFD, couple of questions for you before I give you my 2 cents. Does this "dream department" you wish to get on give Veterans preference points and/or residency points? Do they give any sort of "preference" to those applicants with their Paramedic and/or EMT-B certification? Any lastly what are the requirements for applying to this department?

Answer these questions for me and I can help ya out.

Thanks
          thanks for the answers so far guys. As far as the city dept i've applied to they are not "dream departments"....any career dept is a dream to me...it's all i've ever wanted to do. as far as veterans preference, it's 50/50. half of the ones i applied to DO offer the veterans preference, half don't MENTION it in the application about a preference but ALL do ask if you've served in the military. EMT-B is required for all the departments i've looked into due to them being first responders for the city EMS agency. Requirements are 18, High school graduate, physically fit and the normal requirements. there are no training requirements...and they say they will "ensure you have the opprotunity to gain all needed training"...but i have to think they'd be more inclined to hire someone who already had it..

Comment

Originally posted by MHVFD33 View Post
            Well, I live in a small rural area where the closest city does have a paid fire department. I've applied to it as well as a few others a bit farther away with no luck. I'm only 18. I'm fresh out of high school and as much as i wish i did, i have no significant fire training due to the rarity of what comes around here. I do have VA EMT-B, vehicle extrication, and EVOC however. Being that my applications have no real allure to them in the eyes of departments, i was considering going into the Air Force. From what i read, i can be a firefighter there, get PAID to do my training, which consists of everything people here are taught and much more. If i took this route, I'd have more training that just about anyone here. On top of that, i could get the military to pay for my 2 year trip to medic school at a nearby community college once i get out. Granted i want there to be some way to get my CE for my EMT while i'm in the Air Force if i do decide to join, because i don't want to let it run out and have to do it over again when i get out. But the whole question here is if i go into the service and get all my training and such, how much would my chances of being hired go up? would i be better off to apply after medic school as well? just to have one more thing on my resume? I'm sorry if i'm missing anything basic here or overlooking something simple that would be an easier solution, but i am only 18..i don't have much experience with the hiring process of paid departments.
            Here's what I think. I've very much been on the outside looking in for a while. I've know guys who have every cert in the world, including paramedic, and have tried and failed for years to get on departments. Personally, I think wheather or not you get hired depends more on how well you do in the testing process than what certs you have or don't have. Some people get hired with no certs at all. Personally I would study like crazy for the written test, do a lot of PT to get ready for CPAT, and practice for the interview as best you can. You could probably find some sample interview questions in the internet.

Comment

If emt is all that is required and since you have it
              Keep applying!!!!!

Air force will only look good on resume

Find a volunteer dept and that will give you better standing in my opinion

As stated it is a matter of how good you do on test and luck

Comment

There are not too many guys graduating out of high school, that gravitates right into the fire service as a career member. Sometimes it takes several times out testing at different departments, to score high enough to be allowed to take the physical agility [CPAT] testing and get on to an interview.

Being you live in the Commonwealth, I would seek out a local volunteer department and make application with them. If you aren't already affiliated with one.

This will give you a good insight as what the fire service is about. Plus it gives you some experience too. Training can and should be provided by the department on training nights and some weekends.

You indicate that you have VA EMT-B, vehicle extrication, and EVOC. This indicates to me that you may be associated with a department as if not you can get the vehicle extrication or EVOC certifications.

Look around this forum as Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Newport News, Norfolk, Chesterfield, Richmond, Henrico, Loudoun County, Fairfax County, Prince William County and others have been actively doing recruitment and hiring.

Don't get discouraged, as sometimes it takes a bit longer to get hired and receive a badge.

BTW is that Mount Holly??
                Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 09-30-2010, 12:38 PM.
                Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                  There are not too many guys graduating out of high school, that gravitates right into the fire service as a career member. Sometimes it takes several times out testing at different departments, to score high enough to be allowed to take the physical agility [CPAT] testing and get on to an interview.

Being you live in the Commonwealth, I would seek out a local volunteer department and make application with them. If you aren't already affiliated with one.

This will give you a good insight as what the fire service is about. Plus it gives you some experience too. Training can and should be provided by the department on training nights and some weekends.

You indicate that you have VA EMT-B, vehicle extrication, and EVOC. This indicates to me that you may be associated with a department as if not you can get the vehicle extrication or EVOC certifications.

Look around this forum as Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Newport News, Norfolk, Chesterfield, Richmond, Henrico, Loudoun County, Fairfax County, Prince William County and others have been actively doing recruitment and hiring.

Don't get discouraged, as sometimes it takes a bit longer to get hired and receive a badge.

BTW is that Mount Holly??
                  Thanks for all the answers guys. It's giving me some much needed hope and encouragement. I'm quoting this because it's the most through answer. Now as far as becoming associated with volunteer departments, I happen to be associated with 2. I'm a full member at Mount Hermon Fire & Rescue located in Pittsylvania county, just outside of the city limits of Danville, VA. I'm also an associate member with Blairs Fire & Rescue, also just outside the city limits. I'm also in the works of joining the Danville Life Saving Crew, which is the volunteer EMS agency that covers the entire city of Danville. I'll keep getting my training advanced farther, and i'll keep applying. Thanks guys!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X