Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Questions

Hey all --
    I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I tried sorting through everything on here, but just have some basic questions I can't figure out. I graduated paramedic school in May, and got my state card (Ohio) shortly thereafter. I just enrolled in the Ohio Fire Academy, going through their Firefighter I + II class that begins Oct. 11th.

I'm (obviously) looking to make a career out of this. Without sounding too dumb/naive, how's the best way to find a job? The only way I know of to find out if a city is doing a civil service exam is to look at the newspaper every day. Am I missing something? Is there something online I can be checking?

I'm in the Cleveland, OH area, but wouldn't mind relocating. If I'm looking at a pretty big area to get hired in (probably anywhere in OH), how can I find find out when areas are doing exams if I don't get the local newspaper of that area?

Thanks in advance for all the advice I know will be coming! I certainly appreciate it!

If ya'll have tips for fire academy, those would also be appreciated.

--jordan

First and foremost, the most "reliable" source would be using a search engine and search any and every city you can think of. Most of the cities websites will notify if they are currently accepting applications or will be hiring in the near future, such as Spring/Fall. You can also try using a search engine and search fire department hiring. There are quite a few good websites, most of them require a small fee for the whole list of departments otherwise they give a small list for "trial".
    Last edited by EgressOne; 09-27-2010, 10:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by EgressOne View Post
      There are quite a few good websites, most of them require a small fee for the whole list of departments otherwise they give a small list for "trial".
      Can you give me a hint to one or two of the websites you are talking about?

Comment

Just use a search engine, it's not to hard to find on your own. One thing to learn is that things aren't handed to you on a silver platter in this line of work. If you're dedicated enough you should be able to manage to find what you are looking for.

Comment

Levenhopper,

Check out fireRecruit.com and firefighternation.com Those are pry your two best bets

Comment

Originally posted by levenhopper View Post
            Can you give me a hint to one or two of the websites you are talking about?
            There's another website out there with a jobs section. I think its called firehouse.com or something like that.
            Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Comment

911hotjobs.com is another good one

Comment

leven: pm sent
                Originally Posted by madden01
                "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Comment

Originally posted by levenhopper View Post
                  Hey all --
                  I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I tried sorting through everything on here, but just have some basic questions I can't figure out. I graduated paramedic school in May, and got my state card (Ohio) shortly thereafter. I just enrolled in the Ohio Fire Academy, going through their Firefighter I + II class that begins Oct. 11th.

I'm (obviously) looking to make a career out of this. Without sounding too dumb/naive, how's the best way to find a job? The only way I know of to find out if a city is doing a civil service exam is to look at the newspaper every day. Am I missing something? Is there something online I can be checking?

I'm in the Cleveland, OH area, but wouldn't mind relocating. If I'm looking at a pretty big area to get hired in (probably anywhere in OH), how can I find find out when areas are doing exams if I don't get the local newspaper of that area?

Thanks in advance for all the advice I know will be coming! I certainly appreciate it!

If ya'll have tips for fire academy, those would also be appreciated.

--jordan

Jordan,

First of all, you must decide upon where you may like to liive and be hired and work. A lot of cities and counties across the USA are taking applications for new hires.

Look on in this section of the forum and you will see a lot of them. Other's aren't in here.

Use Google to search cities and counties in the area that you would like to live and work.

An example would be type in City of Cincinnati; City of Dayton; City of Detroit; City of Pittsburgh, City of St. Louis, etc. Once you get to their web site, look for the Human Relations section [HR], or job opportunities.

Most will have a section listing all job that that City and or County are advertising. Also you can seek out the Cities and or Counties Fire department web site in that site you are in. They may have something regarding hiring notices.
                  Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Lakewood is hiring right now, Canton Was, Parma is, Parma Heights is, Bedford is, Ashland is, and Dayton should test in december. Good luck

Comment

Start bookmarking every large cities website, then check them weekly for openings

Check the fire academy and all who attend
                      Sometimes they post openings. And
                      Get emails of fellow students and keep in contact for openings they hear about

See if the state fire marshal posts openings

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp

If you want to work in Texas check this web site weekly
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader