aspiring firefighter looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aspiring firefighter looking for advice

what's up everyone. i'm 24 and i'm currently unemployed. i have my bachelor's degree but i don't have my emt or any fire science classes under my belt. I basically have no experience whatsoever that will help me get in a paid fire department, which is what i want to do. i played hs football and basketball if that helps any haha!

but my situation is a little difficult because i live in hawaii and i don't think the fd here will be testing any time soon and i don't want to wait around for the next test. do you guys have any advice for me on what the best route for someone in my position is to take? i want to get into a paid department ASAP.

should i move to california or any other state and take emt classes and try to take tests whenever they come up? i don't have a lot of money but i'm willing to move so i can be closer to the testing locations. i can't be flying to and from hawaii just to take tests.

or should i just put off the emt cert. for now and spend all of my time testing all around the nation? or should i go back to school for a fire science degree?

i don't know what to do. all i know is i wanna get in a paid department somewhere.

Yo Andrew!! Forget about the fire science degree!! You've done well already by getting a formal education and securing a sheepskin (four year degree)...so drop that idea!! What you need to know is that although getting an EMT cert is great and admirable, you don't need it to start testing. I would consider "and" solutions instead of "or" solutions. In other words, start testing with departments "and" be signing up for an EMT class. You don't need to come to Cali to do that. Check with local community colleges in Hawaii and see which one has EMT classes. Many programs will administer the national registry exam, which should be accepted by most departments.

Now..about testing nationwide! In a word: YES!!! Do it. Test any and everywhere you can. Many departments will give an "open" test, meaning that they don't require any previous experience, training or job related education. If you do anything as far as additional training, after you get some EMT experience, consider paramedic training. A paramedic license or certification will separate the men from the boys!! You don't need to move to Cali or any other state before you actually get hired. Most applications are online (that won't cost you any money). However you do need to have a budget for testing out of state. Try sticking to the medium and large departments where you get more bang for your buck!! Don't worry about travel until you have to!!!

"The Axeman"

Comment

Originally posted by Theaxemancometh View Post
      Yo Andrew!! Forget about the fire science degree!! You've done well already by getting a formal education and securing a sheepskin (four year degree)...so drop that idea!! What you need to know is that although getting an EMT cert is great and admirable, you don't need it to start testing. I would consider "and" solutions instead of "or" solutions. In other words, start testing with departments "and" be signing up for an EMT class. You don't need to come to Cali to do that. Check with local community colleges in Hawaii and see which one has EMT classes. Many programs will administer the national registry exam, which should be accepted by most departments.

Now..about testing nationwide! In a word: YES!!! Do it. Test any and everywhere you can. Many departments will give an "open" test, meaning that they don't require any previous experience, training or job related education. If you do anything as far as additional training, after you get some EMT experience, consider paramedic training. A paramedic license or certification will separate the men from the boys!! You don't need to move to Cali or any other state before you actually get hired. Most applications are online (that won't cost you any money). However you do need to have a budget for testing out of state. Try sticking to the medium and large departments where you get more bang for your buck!! Don't worry about travel until you have to!!!

"The Axeman"

Comment

What is your degree in ??? V
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Yo Andrew!! Forget about the fire science degree!! You've done well already by getting a formal education and securing a sheepskin (four year degree)...so drop that idea!!
          I don't mean to completely derail this thread, but I'm kind of curious about this comment because I have a similar background as this guy. I've got a BA in poli sci, completed First Responder last summer, and am currently enrolled in EMT. Hoping to start basic fire academy at my community college next semester.

So are you basically saying if we've already got a BA, then the fire science degree isn't really going to help us get hired that much? I had planned on taking a couple classes a semester, since I only need 1 gen ed. class and 9 fire science classes to get the AA. Just how valuable is the fire science degree?

Comment

I have asked the same questions because I also have a bachelor’s degree. Basically what I have found from this Forum is, yes a degree is helpful because it shows that you can commit to something and finish it. I'm sure to the right person a Fire Science degree would be a plus, but for the most part fire departments are looking for: how much community service have you done?, do you have an EMT license?, what kind of person are you?, how well will you get along with the other FF in the department?, how is your background?, do you have what it talks to put your life on the line for someone else? These are the things I am going to focus on for the next year while I search for Fire Departments that are testing. I am currently joining a volunteer department in my area and plan to start the EMT-B next semester at a local community college. Other things you may want to start looking into are practicing your interviewing skills and studying for the tests. Good luck!

Comment

Any Fire training and classes will help you do your job better and will help in career advancement

Also some cities pay extra money for various degrees

Some cities do require a certain amount of college hours, and I think you will see more require hours in the future
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

in response to all these questions about the fire science degree.. it is really not that important. what is important is getting your emt cert then your paramedic cert . get your ff 1 ff2 certs, do a ton of community service. work in the field get experience. test test test test test test test test!!!!!!!!

Comment

My comments were simply to illustrate to goandrew, that he doesn't have to go shed blood, sweat and tears for a fire science degree, since he has a BA. Now that said; any additional classes in fire science and/or training is gravy. For purposes of making my point, it's important to state that every department has it's own requirements, nuances and will deviate from others in terms of education criteria. But speaking generally gents, the fire service (as I'm sure you're aware) is looking for people who have the ability to listen and learn. And at the end of the day, for most departments, that means snotty nosed kids with a high school diploma, who can do a helluva job on the oral interview!

"The Axeman"

Comment

And at the end of the day, for most departments, that means snotty nosed kids with a high school diploma, who can do a helluva job on the oral interview!

"The Axeman"

"Captain Bob"

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
                    http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Skip the Fire Science classes. Skip EMT and go for your Paramedic. This shouldnt be too difficult if you have earned a four year degree. During this process, Test anywhere and everywhere! It will cost you some money traveling, but its all worth it when they pin your badge on. Good luck my friend.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X