please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help

hello everyone i have question that i need and answer to. I think the answer is not but i want to get some more opinions on it. Ok i got a owi when i was 19 and i got when when i was 24. I am now 27 so is there even any reason to think to go to firefighter school and get my associate degree because of my past. Ya i can go threw the school pay the money and I'm thinking no one is going to hire someone like that when they have people applying with none. i believe i killed my dreams of ever doing this because of my lack of responsibility and foolishness.. If anyone has any response or advice i would love to hear it thanks .I don't have any criminal record.

You may not be hire able, if you are saying you have two DUI\DWI. They may not be able to insure you with the department.

Comment

Originally posted by muddrow22 View Post
      hello everyone i have question that i need and answer to. I think the answer is not but i want to get some more opinions on it. Ok i got a owi when i was 19 and i got when when i was 24. I am now 27 so is there even any reason to think to go to firefighter school and get my associate degree because of my past. Ya i can go threw the school pay the money and I'm thinking no one is going to hire someone like that when they have people applying with none. i believe i killed my dreams of ever doing this because of my lack of responsibility and foolishness.. If anyone has any response or advice i would love to hear it thanks .I don't have any criminal record.
      It depends on the department I'm sure. If the stuff is wiped from your record then it wouldn't matter. If not wiped, I would have a hard time believing you'd be able to get on a career department with those strikes against you. That is unless you have some inside connections that can vouch for you. But if this is your dream I would say DO IT. The worst that they can say is NO. You will never know unless you try.
      Last edited by JayburgeyENG25; 09-14-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I don't know where you are, but in some states DWI is a criminal offense, espically second
        or third offense.

Comment

I believe he is referring to Operating While Impaired. That casts a huge net so it may come down to what was the substance that caused Impairment.

A second or third strike, you are usually done. But many times a first can be overcome if you can illustrate that you have learned from your mistake.

If you had an attorney during the issue, I think I would ask him some questions.

Most of us are pretty good at giving legal advice but it usually doesn't hold water.

A piece of friendly advice: Proof read what you write before you hit submit. Proper language structure and the correct use and spelling of words will take you a long way in life.
          HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Two strikes five years apart, Kind of sets a standard for bad decision making in your life.

Looking at you from an interview standpoint the first questions comes to mind is are you clean , sober and accepting of the fact that you had a problem?

You do have a criminal record, It's call Operating while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Two strikes would make you un-insurable in this area.

You would be competing against many others that have not gotten caught making bad decisions in the hiring process.

Talk to the personnel department at your area city & towns and ask them if you would be hirable with your background. That might give you a clue whether or not to spend the time & money.
            In either case go to College and get an education.

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
              Proper language structure and the correct use and spelling of words will take you a long way in life.
              yes! and so will common sense... but to get into a car and drive drunk or high not only once... but TWICE?

Comment

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to just call around to a few of the local departments and ask. I'm sure it could be a simple as saying "I'm interested in a career in the fire service, but I was concerned that some poor choices I made in my youth might prevent me from being able to do so...."

Comment

First, learn how to spell or you won't even get past the written test. I highly doubt though you would make it through a background check. Two times is two too many. For the department i last tested for and was fortunate enough to be given a spot in the academy, i know they had even DQ'ued people with drinking tickets that had occurred in the past 3 years. You have to understand, there's HUNDREDS and THOUSANDS ( just over 800 for ours) that apply man. You may have a spot getting on a volly dept but getting on a career dept is pry out of the picture to be perfectly honest....
                  Last edited by thanojon; 09-15-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Save your time and treasure.

Yes, there are some (few) exception but for some they are clouded and domed before they ever take their first step because of something in their past, job history, criminal record, credit, driving record or domestic violence.There is plenty here to establish a pattern that could cause major concerns.

They still believe though that they have a shot. They have convinced themselves by the four inches between their ears and other's that blow a lot of smoke that they have an explanation about what has happened in the past that will convince those in the hiring process they’re the right candidate. So, they pack on all kinds of credentials, degrees, experience, academy, paramedic, etc. thinking this will erase the problems of the past.

Where is can really play out is in the backgournd and psych evaluation where up to 40% of candidates fail. With problems in your past the doc will ask you some difficult questions that could take the wheels off your wagon.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
                    http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Originally posted by CaptBob View Post

Where is can really play out is in the backgournd and psych evaluation where up to 40% of candidates fail. With problems in your past the doc will ask you some difficult questions that could take the wheels off your wagon.
                      Exactly. Even if you somehow by the grace of God did pass the background (which you won't) you would have the most difficult time getting past the psychologist. He's not going to pass someone who already has TWO Dui's. He will fail you before you even try to shell out your pathetic excuse. If you really wanted this job you should have kept your act together. There's no excuse for having a Dui, let alone TWO.

Comment

"i believe i killed my dreams of ever doing this because of my lack of responsibility and foolishness.."

Forget your dreams. You could have killed a lot more than that. If I was doing your background I would rip it up and save the city a couple of dollars.

Comment

wow wow wow
                          Last edited by muddrow22; 09-15-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

i didnt know this was a job interview get a life people its just a forum

Comment

Sonny, you don't need to be a firefighter. You couldn't handle the ribbing and coffee table rousing, which goes on in the engine house.

Besides all the background which you posted would stop you from being hired. We don't know the rest of the story about you either, just what you have said so far,

There are too many folks out there who are cleaned as a baby's behind and never been in any type of trouble.

See ya!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X