Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireFarrier View Post
    Well for anyone watching from the outside:

744 tested, 200 failed, the top 57 moved on.

I was not one of those 57, but a guy I volunteer with was. Everyone say Garlands test is pretty hard, but it didn't seem that bad to me. What did everyone think? Anyone on here move on?

Some of the people who did move on are not going to pass that physical, from those I have talked to it is pretty intense. Good luck to anyone who did move on!
    I was #22, with a 96% on the exam. I didn't think the exam was hard at all - there were a few questions that I had to read really carefully, but I felt like if you payed attention close attention you would do pretty well. By the way, to study I used a this book and then an old SAT 2 study book from 2005 that I picked up at Half Price for $2. The SAT study book actually was more useful for this exam because it had a lot of material on multiple choice questions and stuff.

I'm doing the physical at 8:20 this Saturday. I think I'm gonna run a 10 min mile and then get to rest for like 8 - 10 minutes after that. The ladder climb and hose lift should be pretty easy. After that it gets tough, but I expect to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by xlocdnguyen View Post
      How many questions and how long is the exam?
      Also I'll be there tomorrow for testing. Look for the bald Asian guy in a blue long sleeve and black tie. (HCC fire academy testing uniform)
      Hey I saw you. You were like #2 or #3 in the check-in line, right? I was like 1 or 2 people behind you.
      Last edited by Gambit7; 09-24-2010, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Ya i passed but didnt make the top 57...overall the test was harder than any i have taken in the past, either that or I didnt study enough or was too nervous. I felt like I was having to rush through it too much and couldnt focus on all the mechanical diagrams. I got a 100 on both ftw's and arlingtons, but not so much for garlands. Well good luck to all the top 57

Comment

09/23/10 Garland Exam

Gambit7,

Which of the two books that you mentioned above helped you the most on the Garland test last night? I felt that I struggled with the mechanical questions the most. As for the rest, I felt confident. I passed, but I was
          not in the top 57. I'd appreciate it if you could let me know. I seem to always struggle on the mechanical aspect of Civil Service Exams. Do you know any other good study books catered to Civil Service Exams?

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
            Hey I saw you. You were like #2 or #3 in the check-in line, right? I was like 1 or 2 people behind you.
            Yep that was me. I was catching a lot of crap for wearing my testing uniform but who cares thats what I feel the most confident in. Saw you got top 57. Best of luck to you in the future. Fill us in how the physical went.

Comment

Originally posted by killedk View Post
              Ya i passed but didnt make the top 57...overall the test was harder than any i have taken in the past, either that or I didnt study enough or was too nervous. I felt like I was having to rush through it too much and couldnt focus on all the mechanical diagrams. I got a 100 on both ftw's and arlingtons, but not so much for garlands. Well good luck to all the top 57
              Sitting in the very front next to the speaker I just about shat my pants when he announced there was 15 minutes left.

Comment

Originally posted by xlocdnguyen View Post
                Sitting in the very front next to the speaker I just about shat my pants when he announced there was 15 minutes left.
                Haha so true, that was WAAAY to loud.

Comment

Saturday's Physical

Well, I didn't make it past the physical. I got DQ'd for being half a second late on the 65' ladder (0.56 of a second). It was raining, and I have a slight fear of heights, so that didn't help, and apparently I took it way to slow. Next time I'll have to scramble up and down that ladder faster.

But even if the ladder hadn't of got me, the hose drag would've. I got to try a few more of the events after I was DQ'd and discovered that I don't have near the mass or leg strength I need to pass the physical.

I'm going to start creating excersizes based on the eight events on the physical and work on them. I'm going to get a tractor tire and hook a rope on it to simulate the hose drag (and put concrete bags on top of the tire to make sure the weight is similar).

Not sure how I can help myself get over my fear of heights. Any ideas?

Good look to anyone who did better than I did on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by tannermo View Post
                    Gambit7,

Which of the two books that you mentioned above helped you the most on the Garland test last night? I felt that I struggled with the mechanical questions the most. As for the rest, I felt confident. I passed, but I was
                    not in the top 57. I'd appreciate it if you could let me know. I seem to always struggle on the mechanical aspect of Civil Service Exams. Do you know any other good study books catered to Civil Service Exams?
                    I think the SAT study book helped the most. It had lots of info on eliminating choices to help make educated guesses on multiple choice tests, and it had good sections on both math and verbal questions (which was a lot of the test).

As for the mechanical aspect, I didn't really study much for that part, but I have a lot of experience working with engines and machines so it came fairly naturally. Perhaps you should try studying how gears, shafts, pulleys, etc. all work together. Knowing how gears and levers affected each other allowed me to do very well on that part.

Comment

Also, one more thing about the physical: You have to have TONS of endurance. Being able to run 2 or 3 miles didn't seem to cut it. There was a fit, stocky looking guy puking in the parking lot when I was DQ'd (two others were DQ'd with me so it wasn't so bad). Even though I can do a 10 min mile easy and still have plenty of juice the hose drag and stuff really killed my legs. I think I need to get to running probably 5 miles in an hour in order to pass this thing.

Time to start training.

Comment

Anyone know how they break tie scores? I missed it by one point and I'm ranked in the 70s but im really tied for 58th

Comment

Originally posted by espguitarist09 View Post
                          Anyone know how they break tie scores? I missed it by one point and I'm ranked in the 70s but im really tied for 58th
                          They said that they put the scores into a computer and it randomly orders the names. They said that was the only way to deal with all the ties (because there were a lot of 98's, 97's, and 96's).

Comment

Gambit, as far as getting over your fear of heights... you just need to go to places that are high. I have a hosue and a 24 foot extension ladder, so I could just anchor the ladder and climb it to the top and look down and whatnot. I am not afraid of heights tho.

Garlands physical test is one of the hardest, lasting upwards to 20 minutes (from what Ive heard). Most departments is about 4-5 minutes. You need a good six months of training to prepare for it. Depending on the diameter of the hose (inch and three quarter, two and half, three inch, et cetera) you are looking at about a gallon of water per foot, so try and remember how many feet of hose you were to drag, and mulitply the feet by 8 to get an approximate weight. Also, look for a good weight vest and run stairs. I usually do about 75 flights with 50 pounds on my back, and increase weight as I go. You don't need to be huge or musclebound, you just need to be able to endure. The tractor tire is a good idea, you can also flip it end over end to build overall body strength. I promise if you flip it 40 yards you will feel it.
                            Isaiah 43:1-2

1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
                            he who created you, Jacob,
                            he who formed you, Israel:
                            “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
                            I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
                            2 When you pass through the waters,
                            I will be with you;
                            and when you pass through the rivers,
                            they will not sweep over you.
                            When you walk through the fire,
                            you will not be burned;
                            the flames will not set you ablaze.

Comment

to build endurance and overall strength you have to start with what you eat.
                              -lots of organic fruits veggies and high protein meats such as fish and roast beef is the trick
                              -do not take supplements (creatine or amino acids) that stuff will slow you down. I got off my protein shakes and saw an increase in my speed and agility
                              as far as strength goes you should start out with body weights and workout outside. walking lunges are great for the hose drag and as for heights go I close my eyes and focus on my breathing. Make sure to have your arms straight out when climbing it won't fatigue your arms as much. I always like to think of it as going up steep stairs.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X