Garland TX career info meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garland TX career info meeting

For anyone in the DFW area that missed it, Garland FD had a career info meeting last night.

It was really helpful for me since I'm completely new to the whole process of applying and test and such. Anyway, I thought I would share some of the info I gleaned from the meeting:

Garland (and some of the surrounding cities, not including Dallas or Richardson) is a State Civil Service city and has to follow state laws concerning testing/ranking during hiring/etc. This means Dallas and others like it can change the ranking of the candidates based on their likes and dislikes, but Garland is purely based on Civil Service exam score. So the closer to 100% that you get, the higher your ranking is during the hiring process.

There are no qualifications to get hired other than the usual 18 - 35, clean background, etc. Garland pays for all schooling, testing, etc. After you get hired, they will send you to EMT school for 6 weeks, and to Fire academy for 16 weeks (EMT might be longer, I was confused as to the exact length). After that you'll be at the station for at least 6 months before going to paramedic school (everyone MUST be a paramedic in the Garland FD). The recruiter said that it was actually 3 years before he got his Paramedic license.

Also, Garland will pay you to get extra training (like Haz-mat, high angle rescue, etc) and will pay full tuition for Firefighter that wants to get their Fire science degree (don't know if that is only for state colleges though).

Anyway, just thought I would post this and I hope someone finds it useful. You can find more info at their website: http://www.garlandtx.gov/Home/Depart...es_Landing.htm

Thanks for the info Gambit. Did they give any information about the written test? Any good study material, or what company is doing the test? Their website doesn't really seem to have any info regarding the test.

Comment

They talked briefly about the contents of the written test. All multiple choice, no "memory test" type questions (where you look at a picture/diagram and then turn the page to answer questions), it has some verbal comprehension and it sounded like a lot of basic mathematics and mechanics (they showed some diagrams of pulleys and such).

The stressed that the main factor is reading the question carefully and fully understanding it. They said the people that tend to score highest on the written test are actually people just out of highschool, because they are used to similar testing formats and know how to test well.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I took their test last year. Be ready for a lot of reading comprehension, at least 1/2. I was caught off guard with the amount of reading. I typically finish tests with some time to go over some questionable answers, but I mismanaged my time and had to rush the last 15 or so questions.

Comment

Originally posted by sachse1 View Post
          I took their test last year. Be ready for a lot of reading comprehension, at least 1/2. I was caught off guard with the amount of reading. I typically finish tests with some time to go over some questionable answers, but I mismanaged my time and had to rush the last 15 or so questions.
          Thanks, I'll be ready for the reading... I'm mainly practicing for the math & reading right now.

Comment

. . . . . . . . . .
            Last edited by FireFarrier; 08-04-2011, 05:04 PM.
            Isaiah 43:1-2

1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
            he who created you, Jacob,
            he who formed you, Israel:
            “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
            I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
            2 When you pass through the waters,
            I will be with you;
            and when you pass through the rivers,
            they will not sweep over you.
            When you walk through the fire,
            you will not be burned;
            the flames will not set you ablaze.

Comment

For any of you local to North Texas please take a look at our Training Facillity located 70 miles just East of Dallas. Come check us out at http://www.fireskills.com Give me a call if you have any questions

Brandon Scott
              903.438.0300 Academy
              903.488.3372 Brinker Fire & Rescue

We have utilized an inovative and cost effective approach in the developement and construction of our four story drill tower and our burn house. Other simulators include car fire, propane fire, urban search and rescue, ventilation, extication, drafting pit, high angle rescue, rapelling. Located at 501 CR 3502, Sulphur Springs, TX 75482
              HOUSING
              The fire academy is owned by a local community fire department where you will live and respond to local emergencies in a small but active station just off of I-30

ACADEMY INSTRUCTION
              Recruits are provided classroom instruction on topics ranging from (PPE) personal protective equipment to Fire Cause Determination . Thanks to our surrounding businesses we are able to take the recruits to see first hand Fire Detection / Protection systems. Recruits also get a considerable amont of hands on training.

LIVE FIRE TRAINING AND RESCUE SKILLS
              The Northeast Texas Fire/Ems Training Academy goes above and beyond the Texas Commission on Fire Protection recommended number of hours for live fire training. The Academy has what we call Real World Days were recruits live together they learn to shop, cook, clean and do shift dutys together as a team. We have scenario calls set up at the Drill Field. From a car accident with patients trapped to a house fire.

Our Mission is to provide the highest level of Fire & EMS training and to excel in our training in a safe, efficient and economical manner so as to be an asset to our Community and or students.

Our Vision is to become an exemplary Fire and EMS training facility serving Northeast Texas as well as Southeast Oklahoma, Southwest Arkansas, and Northwest Louisiana, the nation and beyond

Comment

Originally posted by FireFarrier View Post
                I'm glad to hear there is a lot of reading as it's one of my strongest assets. Too bad math is one of my weakest! I guess I know what to study. Anyone also testing for Plano?
                When is Plano testing? Somehow I can't seem to find it on the web.

Comment

. . . . . . . . . .
                  Last edited by FireFarrier; 08-04-2011, 05:05 PM.

I will be with you;
                  you will not be burned;

Comment

Alright folks, the test is this coming Thursday. Who's ready?!

I will be with you;
                    you will not be burned;

Comment

Well, this is my first test, so no way for me to really gauge if I'm "ready," but I've been studying hard so I'll give it a good try.

Comment

How many questions and how long is the exam?
                        Also I'll be there tomorrow for testing. Look for the bald Asian guy in a blue long sleeve and black tie. (HCC fire academy testing uniform)
                        Last edited by xlocdnguyen; 09-22-2010, 11:25 AM. Reason: n.a

Comment

. . . . . . . . . .
                          Last edited by FireFarrier; 08-04-2011, 05:05 PM.

I will be with you;
                          you will not be burned;

Comment

yep got to look like I know it halfway lol

Comment

. . . . . . . . . .
                              Last edited by FireFarrier; 08-04-2011, 05:06 PM.

I will be with you;
                              you will not be burned;

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse