Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some points to ponder for anyone taking the test:
    The good:
    1) We're pretty busy. We see between 100-120 calls a day on average. Some stations see more, some are retirement homes. This happens in every city.
    2) We've got nice equipment and facilities. One thing positive about management here is they have given us the tools to do our jobs safely.
    3) Specialty teams; bomb, dive, tech rescue. I'm not sure what they all do, but the training is free and they seem to have a lot of toys to play with.
    4) Pay isn't bad, could be better, but then again every city can say that.
    5) We burn. We, on average, see about a fire a day in the city. This could be a kitchen, one room, or fire through the roof of an apt building. Don't get me wrong, 80%+ of what we do is medical, but we still do see plenty of fire in fact, this year we've seen an increase.
    6) We have a new chief that is extremely intelligent, and actually seeks input from the members on the floor. This is a good thing.

The Bad:
    1) Yes, a large portion of the city is ghetto. This leads to increased crime, and violence. This translates to you being busy on the medics w/ shootings etc. You take that how you want, I look at it job security and experience you won't get in other places.
    2) Morale is poor. We, just like other cities in the US, have felt the budget crunch. We've given up a lot. New hires don't get the same pension, nor post retirement benefits. We haven't had a pay raise in 3 years. Yet we're asked to do more and more everyday.
    3) Training does not exist unless your on a specialty team. This has led to inexperienced officers and firefighters.
    4) The dept is very young. We've had so much turnover in the recent years, most of the dept has 7 years or less on the job. Again, this has led to inexperience.
    5) We don't operate like a traditional fire dept. Don't accept the job here and think that if you're riding a ladder truck, you'll be expected to open a roof. In the last 3 years I can count on 2 fingers the number of roofs we've opened.
    6) Expect a lot of medic time in your first few years until you get into a normal rotation. If you're at a big house, there's less but if you're at a single engine house expect at least 2 shifts a cycle on the box.

With management changing we don't know where we'll be 5 years from now. Most likely, we'll be in a much better place, we can only hope. Any questions, PM me.

Comment

This is a good department to work for. It has just about everything that anyone is looking for. The city is long and narrow but they get their share of business. Yes EMS is the largest player there, but this is becoming everywhere.

You are going to get the best training that is anywhere, plus the money isn't that bad.

Their recent Chief is a very good friend of mine and he just retired to take on another job for the city. The guy acting or may be the chief now, is very capable and will do a great job.

If I were maybe 10 years younger I would go for that Deputy's job which is opened!!

Comment

I would expect them to hire anywhere between 10-20 people becuase its not cost effective to run the EMT-I class with any less. The last process hired 12, and there is about 20 set to go through the fire academy in September.

Comment

When your assigned to an ambulance are you strictly medical work, or if a worker comes in you operate as an engine or truck guy?

Comment

Originally posted by emt-pack_mule View Post
            I would expect them to hire anywhere between 10-20 people becuase its not cost effective to run the EMT-I class with any less. The last process hired 12, and there is about 20 set to go through the fire academy in September.
            Anyone have any idea on about how many have and are going to be testing with NNFD?

Thanks fellas

Comment

Ambulances are not restricted to medical only. They will carry your turnouts, a set of irons, and SCBA so if your medic is first due, you will have some work to do. All fires get dispatched at least one medic, and more if there are victims or its a serious fire.

And I would expect a few hundred to take the exam as well. There is an application packet you must fill out and turn back in after the axam, which cuts it down significantly for the physical agility test.

Comment

What's in the packet? Thanks for answering my previous question.

Comment

The packet is mostly basic application info, such as work experience, education, things like that. But if I remember correctly it also has questions about criminal/drug/alcohol history, and health background, also asking for references too. It leaves you the option of sending in diplomas, certs, letters, etc. It has to be notarized with a short and strict deadline following the written test so I think that is where most people get tripped up.

Comment

Ok Thanks.

Comment

read the job posting but still not sure of the answer. im already a medic and i see they require to go through their academy which is fine by me. but since ive already go my medic card would it just basically be a refresher for me or can i some how skip this step. either way it works would be fine with me.

Comment

You should have applied earlier, they had a process back in the summer where they were looking for 10 ALS providers to join the fire academy this fall. If you already have you medic card I am sure they would not put you through the EMT-I class, it wouldn't be financially plausible. My guess is if you got hired they would give you some alternative assignment (such as EMS only) until the next fire academy starts. Go for it and apply anyway and let them tell you otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by emt-pack_mule View Post
                          You should have applied earlier, they had a process back in the summer where they were looking for 10 ALS providers to join the fire academy this fall. If you already have you medic card I am sure they would not put you through the EMT-I class, it wouldn't be financially plausible. My guess is if you got hired they would give you some alternative assignment (such as EMS only) until the next fire academy starts. Go for it and apply anyway and let them tell you otherwise.

If NN is like most other FD's in VA its depending on where they received the training and card and whne it will expire.

If the new hire has to go through the class, they will usually do ok and probably will pick up something, that they may not have known.

If they hire you, and ask you to stand on your head, go for it and don't complain. Probably plenty would stand on heir heads in the hot sand to get the badge, if asked to.
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Anybody take the written test? I'm taking mine on wednesday

Comment

This just came out!!

http://www.dailypress.com/news/newpo...,7119397.story

City to expand police, fire
                              Newport News using budget surplus for public safety

By Joe Lawlor,

10:37 p.m. EDT, October 4, 2010
                              NEWPORT NEWS — Newport News expects to modestly expand the size of its police and safety forces, as the city's finances have stabilized, officials said.
                              "We think maybe the worst of the recession has passed," City Manager Neil Morgan said. "I am moving to increase the number of entry-level public safety personnel as much as we can."

Newport News ended up with a $3.7 million surplus in the 2009-10 fiscal year, about twice as large as expected.

Morgan said it's still unclear how many extra jobs would be created, but he expects "a handful" for police and fire departments.

"I can't say it's going to be three or five or eight right now," Morgan said. "It's going to be as much as the budget can allow."

The city has been operating in a partial hiring freeze for non-essential positions for nearly two years. While the freeze didn't apply to police officers and firefighters, the practical effect of the hiring slowdown still left many public safety positions vacant, Morgan said. Because they have to be trained at fire and police academies, it takes up to 18 months from the day an officer or firefighter is hired to the day he or she starts working.

Now Newport News is stepping up the pace of hiring to fill those vacancies, Morgan said. And, he said, the city will look to expand both departments.
                              Acting Fire Chief Scott Liebold said that the fire department had been idling two of its trucks, but recently only has to idle one truck part of the time.
                              The ideal, he said, would be to hire 12 additional firefighters, bringing the fire department from 370 to 382 positions, but he realizes the budget may not allow for adding a dozen positions.

Liebold said the city opened Fire Station No. 11 at the airport last year, but did not hire additional firefighters to operate the vehicles. He said that's led to more overtime and less-than-ideal staffing of the stations.

Police spokesman Lou Thurston said the police department would not comment until Chief James Fox has a meeting with Morgan later this week about staffing. The police department currently has 416 officers, and Morgan said he would like to see the city have somewhat more than that.

Police and Fire:

Newport News wants to expand its number of firefighters and police officers. The city is currently budgeted for 321 firefighters and 416 police officers. It's unclear how many additional firefighters and police officers would be hired.
                              Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Thanks for the info Capt!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader