I need help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help!!

I just turned 21 and I am desperately trying to get my career started. The only problem is, i cant find a fire station in Chicago and surrounding suburbs to let me volunteer or join a P.O.C. program. I recently tried to join a emt program but didnt have the money or sponsorship. Did anyone else have this much trouble? And if so, please tell me how to get thru this.

As for volunteering, inside a large metro area like Chicago, there probably aren't many vol depts. You might have to go a distance outside the suburbs into a rural or less populated suburban area. If they have POC, you'd probably have to have all your certs already.

If you can't find a dept/agency to sponsor you, you need to start saving for the EMT program. Figure what you can cut out of your budget (smoking, drinking, going out to eat, partying, movies, CDs, DVDs, etc.) and put that money in an account earmarked for the EMT program. I know the EMT programs in my area run about $700-$1000. Maybe cheaper if you get them directly through a community college. Make a strong effort and you should be able to make the next semester.

Also, look into all the department you can find. You may find some career depts that don't require any certs and will train you completely while being paid. Start applying at all depts you can. Also, remember that most people aren't hired until their mid-20s or later. It's a long process, just don't give up!

Comment

In Chicago suburbs most departments require you to have at least EMT-B and a lot require EMT-P and FFII. As far as taking the EMT-B, everyone I know around here, Im from the area, had to pay out of pocket for it. Almost all the community colleges offer an EMT class, and I know of some private ambulance companies that offer the class as well. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

I had a buddy from the Chicagoland area tell me that there are many part-time departments around the area. I can't confirm since I don't know the area but that might be a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by sTages19 View Post
          In Chicago suburbs most departments require you to have at least EMT-B and a lot require EMT-P and FFII. As far as taking the EMT-B, everyone I know around here, Im from the area, had to pay out of pocket for it. Almost all the community colleges offer an EMT class, and I know of some private ambulance companies that offer the class as well. Let me know if you have any other questions.
          And there you have it Marcus! Like Thomas Edison said: "....Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration!"

You're gonna have to do your DUE DILIGENCE, and sacrifice a little as both zzyyzx and Stages indicated. There's no way around it! Sometimes you gotta spend a little to make a little! Get your EMT and then work as an EMT. Take classes; ask questions; read books and magazines like Firehouse; TAKE AS MANY EXAMS AS POSSIBLE!! Welcome to the race...take a number and have a seat.

"The Axeman"
          Last edited by Theaxemancometh; 08-23-2010, 11:29 PM. Reason: CHANGE INFO

Comment

Check some ambulance services or hospitals some will put you through the training if you work for them
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Another option for you is to take fire science courses online. It does not matter where you park your car, the credit for the course is the same regardless if you take the class in peprson or online.

Save up your money and set a goal of completing your EMT course. It will add nicely to your resume and begin to put you ahead of the crowd.
              Paul Lepore
              Division Chief
              Aspiringfirefighters.com
              AspiringFireOfficers.com

Comment

Originally posted by paulLepore View Post
                Another option for you is to take fire science courses online. It does not matter where you park your car, the credit for the course is the same regardless if you take the class in peprson or online.

Save up your money and set a goal of completing your EMT course. It will add nicely to your resume and begin to put you ahead of the crowd.
                I did most of, but not all of my fire science classes from COD online. I got my AAS degree wit honors, COD has some great fire science teachers who will respond to emails phone calls whatever it is you have questions on, and I was able to work full time. Also for the AAS in fire science EMT-B is part of it, and thats 8 CREDITS, towards the degree.

There are some part time depts here, but many of them want medics as well. Some will take EMT but most I have seen are medics. This state is almost all medics in all depts. Nothing wrong with that, you just gotta do a little more and if you want it bad enough youll get it done.

I actually have an interview in a week at one of the top medic schools in the state, so I can answer some questions regarding that too if you have them.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X