Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just my luck! I will be on vacation during the chiefs interview!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just my luck! I will be on vacation during the chiefs interview!

Just found out I made the cut to interview with the Chief next friday for a department that is right at the top of my dream department list. The trouble is that I will be right in the middle of my family vacation that was planned about 4 months ago! I just spent a ton of money on a last minute, one day flight back home so I can be hear for it. I hope its worth it!! I really want this job!

Originally posted by builderbrando View Post
    Just found out I made the cut to interview with the Chief next friday for a department that is right at the top of my dream department list. The trouble is that I will be right in the middle of my family vacation that was planned about 4 months ago! I just spent a ton of money on a last minute, one day flight back home so I can be hear for it. I hope its worth it!! I really want this job!
    And your question is? A lot of folks on this board would kill to be in your position.

Good luck.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
    http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Don’t bring that up in your interview. While I am sure the urge is there to talk about the sacrifices you have made, there is nothing that turns a panel off quicker than a person complaining about how much they have given up for the job.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
      Good Luck, Capt Rob
      www.myfireinterview.com

Comment

OK, how many going for the Chief's? How many jobs?

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

i know im going to sound like a d!ck, but your second post on the forum is a thread about having to spend money on a flight back to go to a chief interview. what point are you trying to get across?

Comment

Sounds more like a tweet than an intelligent post.

Comment

Tweet: Sounds like the bride talking through him?

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Interview

If your on vacation and the call comes......if you want it you go. We just conducted an interview for Chief and had one from the east coast. He made it and was early for the interview. There are those who hope you decide to stay on vacation (those with you on the list) you need to make a decision and go for it. You can always go on vacation but your dream department only comes around once or twice in your lifetime.

Good Luck.....
                Respectfully,
                Jay Dudley
                Retired Fire
                Background Investigator
                IACOJ-Member
                Lifetime Member CSFA
                IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Originally posted by builderbrando View Post

It may be for a "Chief's" job. It also may be for a job on that department as it appears to be. That was it appers to be here.

Nether less, if YOU want this job, you will be there at the appointed time, place and be interviewed.

If not, stay on vacation and do as your wife says.

There are others who would give up a vacation for the chance of being hired or promoted!!
                  Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

You guys are right. It was more of a tweet than a question! Sorry, I was venting, and having the post spending guilt that I get after an expensive plane ticket purchase. Truth is that I would run through hell wearing gasoline underwear to have this job. In the end if it works out then the amount of money out of my pocket is well worth the 30+ years I will spend in the career of my dreams.

It is not for a chiefs job but just a job as an entry level firefighter. It is the final interview with the Chief! I will definately be there. Nothing will make me miss it! I believe he is looking at the top 10 from the panel interview and I am somewhere in there. There were approx 80 people testing and interviewing and it is for just one position.

Probably should have kept this comment to myself but it actually did bring up a good topic I wouldn't mind having some clarification on: FFighterRob said,

"
                    Don’t bring that up in your interview. While I am sure the urge is there to talk about the sacrifices you have made, there is nothing that turns a panel off quicker than a person complaining about how much they have given up for the job."

That is a bit confusing to me. Of course no one wants to listen to a complainer and I would never go into an interview and complain about anything. But on the otherhand wouldn't talking about (not complaining) your sacrifices and all the hard work you have done, say something about your character, work ethic, and even your desire to want to work for that department.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I have spent hours reading other posts and have picked up some great information.

Comment

just my .02 to the last part of your post.

lets say im the chief and i read your first post to start the thread, i would take it as complaining to a certain degree and i would be annoyed, as i already was from it. not to bust your balls too much.

personally, talking about sacrifices, i wouldnt bring up ones that are "recreational", you know. who cares? the chief/interview panel (for that matter), doesn't care about your vacation being interrupted. my first impression of you (your first post) is that your arrogant and dont know what your getting yourself into.... and im hoping your not, im pretty sure youre smarter than how it came off. but thats how it will come across. so leave your vacation out of it.

good luck, let us know how it goes.

*whats with the name change?
                      Last edited by legos.8ty7; 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback legos. Excellent point. I definately will not bring it up during the interview. After re-reading my original post I could see how I would come across that way. In that case I am glad I posted it, as it is much better to make the mistakes on here vs. when I am sitting in front of the Fire Chief. Next time I will proof read before hitting the submit button!
                        I can assure you that I am not arrogant, I just don't have a lot of money!!. I have worked very hard for everything I have, I have served our country with the Marine Corps and I cannot wait for the opportunity to serve my community as a firefighter.

Comment

I am just wondering why you changed your screen name so quick??
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Just changed the screen name out of boredom. I am new on here, got off work early today, and didn't really like it. No real reason behind it I guess.

Comment

quote - I would run through hell wearing gasoline underwear to have this job.

Haha! Thank you for the laugh!! I know the feeling! We will most likely be in the same situation shortly. Lots of the testing/interviews are scheduled around the same time and some are still waiting to be scheduled. We have a big family vacation already planned and payed for so there is a good possability last minute flights may occur here too. Hope you get it!!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X