No announcement yet.

Disability rating and hiring process..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability rating and hiring process..

Good morning everyone..

I, like every other person on here am interested in taking the FDNY exam, hopefully in 2011. I have a potential red light though, and that is with the Dept of Veterans affairs..

long story short, got blown up a few times, surgery, skin grafts and what not, but i started the process to get rated by the VA to get compensation..now, I'm not handicapped, so thats not the issue, but how would a potentially high rating affect my chances? I'm under the impression that because it's not like regular disability where i can't work, but its compensation for things that happened to me while in iraq. I was told by a "educated man" that I didn't need to inform a potential employer that I was receiving compensation, or what it was for, but I'm thinking if they do a background check, it would be found, especially with seeing my purple heart on my DD214.

Can anyone give me concrete answers, I'm planning on calling on monday

Do you have full use and function of the leg and knee?

Providing you pass and pass your PAT, you'll go to your medical and psych. They give you a big check list that you have to make any medical problems in the past.. pretty much everyone will mark
    something (unless you have never been to a hospital for any reason).

I had an ACL/MCL repair in highschool. When I went for my medical at health services they just took an X-Ray and had me fax the operative report from my doctor.. then I saw the health services ortho and that was about the extent of it. As long as you have full use and everything that will probably be all you have to do....

Comment

I have full use of my knees and legs and arms and what not, the only claims iIthink ill be getting are for PTSD, and the scars on my face where they did the grafting and such..Just didn't want to blow my bubble up just to have it popped.

Comment

Originally posted by M1A2TankGunner View Post
        I have full use of my knees and legs and arms and what not, the only claims iIthink ill be getting are for PTSD, and the scars on my face where they did the grafting and such..Just didn't want to blow my bubble up just to have it popped.
        PTSD rating could raise some red flags if you're heading for a psych evaluation for a deparmtment. An extensive background packet will ask you in several different ways "have you ever". You have to list everything they ask you. You will sign off your rights so they can look at anything they want.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
        http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

I'm perfectly comfortable with background checks, and I wouldn't hesitate to answer any questions if a flag was thrown, I mean whats the difference in having ptsd from Iraq/Afghanistan or having ptsd from being a firefighter? I'm sure that all of you have seen some gruesome stuff, I'm not bragging or trying to compare experiences or 1 up anyone, i mean PTSD is post traumatic..could be from anything. I just dont want to get my hopes up, spend the money to prep for a test, take the test, do the commutes, then take the cpat and then when I talk to the shrink they're like..no your nuts..

Comment

I understand. The difference is you have PTSD going into the process and have to jump through all the flamming hoops to make it through the hiring process. Yes, NYFD gives a psych. If I remember it's a written and if the psych doc wants to know more will set up an appointment.

Like you wrote you don't want to invest a lot of time and treasure trying to get to a point to being DQ'd. I know you're looking for the truth here. There are those who will tell you what they think you want to hear. Blowing a lot of smoke. Sorry. In my experience those candidates I've heard from in your situation with PTSD haven't been hired because of the psych.

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

I think this would fall under the americans with disabilities act if they said no. I think I heard of a veteran with an amputated leg was testing or got hired by a dept. in New Jersey. If your capable of doing the job you should be in the clear. Thanks for the service and hopefully you make it on.

Comment

no problem..I serve like you serve, except I wish I could serve with you guys lol

Comment

Originally posted by fdny84 View Post
                  I think this would fall under the americans with disabilities act if they said no. I think I heard of a veteran with an amputated leg was testing or got hired by a dept. in New Jersey. If your capable of doing the job you should be in the clear. Thanks for the service and hopefully you make it on.
                  Sorry, PTSD is not a physical problem. The psych doc has is the gate keeper here.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Originally posted by CaptBob View Post
                    I understand. The difference is you have PTSD going into the process and have to jump through all the flamming hoops to make it through the hiring process. Yes, NYFD gives a psych. If I remember it's a written and if the psych doc wants to know more will set up an appointment.

Like you wrote you don't want to invest a lot of time and treasure trying to get to a point to being DQ'd. I know you're looking for the truth here. There are those who will tell you what they think you want to hear. Blowing a lot of smoke. Sorry. In my experience those candidates I've heard from in your situation with PTSD haven't been hired because of the psych.
                    i drew a tree with way too many detailed leaves and branches. it was very artsy. they love that!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fdny101ABN View Post
                      i drew a tree with way too many detailed leaves and branches. it was very artsy. they love that!
                      Some have put in too many windows on the house with the same results.

Love that dope on a rope.

Skydiver for 9 years. D-953

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Originally posted by CaptBob View Post

I appreciate your honesty, I knd of figured that my chances will be greatly limited because of my issues and what not, but I got free health care and I'm going to try to take advantage of that and see a shrink and try to switch gears from soldier to human in my thought process. I'm still going to go for it, but, I know my chances if i make it, great, if not, well at least I tried, I have no one to blame 25 years down the road for not trying..thanks again.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X