Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need Help with becoming part of the FDNY.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Help with becoming part of the FDNY.

I am currently in High School and I am a Volunteer Fire Fighter and I want my career to be a paid Fire Fighter. My Dad and I have looked at an online bachelor degree in fire science at Kaplan University Online. Now is FDNY ok with people who have an online degree and what are the steps to getting toward the FDNY after getting my online degree. If anyone could help me that would be great....thx

Ryan
    Last edited by Rusty255; 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM.

Originally posted by Rusty255 View Post
    I am Currently in High School And im a volunteer fire fighter and I want to my career to be a paid fire fighter my dad and I have looked at for me to do an online degree in fire science for bachelor degree at kaplan u online now does the FDNY ok with people who have an online degree and the steps to getting toward the fdny after my online degree are confusing to me to become part of the fdny if anyone could help me that would be great....thx

Ryan
    On top of your fire science classes I would recommend taking a few English courses. You could brush up on your grammar. And one question may I ask. What is with everyone wanting to get on FDNY. If you are already an EMT-B, or plan on going to paramedic school it will be a waste of time, and worthless if you get on FDNY. They run CFR engine companies, and their truck companies do not run any EMS. Pay there sucks, and it is very expensive to live within the city. If you live outside the city you will have to drive a long way to and from work. It would not be as bad if you were working 24 hour shifts, but FDNY works a "day" and "night" shift. I would not want to drive and hour and a half each way for a 14 hour shift. My dept is not small in any means and I sometimes feel like I am just a number to the city. Try working in a dept with 200+ stations and over 12,000 members. I know I will get a lot of sh*t from the FDNY lovers or buffs out there but that's ok.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Comment

Thanks for the advice I will take it into consideration..

Comment

I am Currently in High School And im a volunteer fire fighter and I want to my career to be a paid fire fighter my dad and I have looked at for me to do an online degree in fire science for bachelor degree at kaplan u online now does the FDNY ok with people who have an online degree and the steps to getting toward the fdny after my online degree are confusing to me to become part of the fdny if anyone could help me that would be great....thx
        Ryan:

FDNY, like nearly all career FD's in New York utilize a Civil Service system for hiring new recruits. The best advice I can give you is to go online to FDNY and research all the aspects that are required of this job. "The Written Exam focuses on a number of topics that gauge a candidate’s ability to learn and perform the duties of a Firefighter, including reading comprehension, problem solving, spatial recognition and applying rules to general concepts. It does not require any pre-existing knowledge about firefighting or the Fire Department." You then have to pass a "Candidate Physical Agility Test (CPAT)" to ensure you are physically fit for the job. Depending on how well you do in these 2 areas, you will be 'ranked' for an offer of employment. FDNY anticipates the next Civil Service exam to be in early 2011, with exams every 4 or 5 years... Although I'm not too familiar with their exact policies, many cities use a 'preferred' list for residents of the city meaning residents will be offered employment first...

More advice: work hard at school, keep physically fit, stay out of trouble. Minimum for the exam is a HS degree or GED, so get that out of the way first. Purchase Civil Service study guides for firefighter and practice them. Unfortunatelly, your volunteer fire service will not really come into play for the exam or prepping for the exam: the exam is geared for people who know nothing about firefighting... College degrees are only somewhat helpful in the entry ranks; required for promotions in the officer ranks, but make sure the degree is from an ACCREDITED college (weather on-line, non-traditional or classrom style)

I can't comment on Kaplan, but I received my BS in Fire Service Administration from SUNY Empire State College. If you are a NY resident, SUNY is a good option. And, BTW: I never set foot on campus - did the entire degree program on line and by mail... Went to Community College the first 2 years (close to home, very affordable) and transferred my credits.

However it plays out, good luck to you and stay safe!

Comment

Additional from the 2006 Exam Anouncment:

Age Requirement: Pursuant to Section 54 of the New York Civil Service Law and Section 15-103 of the Administrative Code, you must be at least 17½ years of age by the end of the application period and you must not have reached your 29th birthday by the beginning of the application period to be eligible to take this examination. However, you must have reached your 21st birthday to be eligible for appointment.

THE SALARY: The current minimum salary is $25,100 per annum. Upon completion of 13 weeks employment, the salary will rise to $32,700. Incumbents will receive salary increments reaching $63,309 per annum at the
          completion of five and one half years employment. All rates are subject to change. In addition, employees receive holiday, night shift and overtime pay.

NEW YORK CITY RESIDENCY CREDIT: Five points will be added to the final exam score of those candidates who qualify for New York City Residency Credit.

Residency Requirement: The New York Public Officers Law requires that any person employed as a Firefighter in the Fire Department of New York be a resident of the City of New York or of Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk, Orange, Rockland or Putnam Counties.

HOW TO QUALIFY FOR APPOINTMENT: Education and Experience Requirements: By the date of appointment, you must have a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent, and:
          1. 15 college semester credits earned as a result of satisfactory completion of course work at a college or university accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (“CHEA”); or
          2. full-time U.S. military service with an honorable discharge; or
          3. 6 months of full-time, satisfactory paid work experience.

Driver License Requirement: You must have a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York at the time of appointment. This license must be maintained for the duration of your employment.

Cost to take exam: $30.00 Application fee, $25.00 CPAT fee. If offered a position: $75.00 "Interview" fee and you must be a CFR-D before the end of Probie School ($775.00 through FDNY) Total cost: $130.00 to get hired and $775.00 on top of that for CFR...

Comment

It may well be eaiser to be hired by another department other than the FDNY, where if medic190 is correct on the starting salary, is low compared to other East Coast career departments.

I would looked into other departments if I were you as as medic190 said, it cost an arm and a leg to live in the city. If not the cost of property and or rentals are high as well elsewhere. Plus the drive in and back each day. The day shift is from 9 AM to 6 PM, and the night is from 6 PM to 9 AM. Either way you are fighting heavy traffic.
            Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

I am currently in High School and I am a Volunteer Fire Fighter and I want my career to be a paid Fire Fighter. My Dad and I have looked at an online bachelor degree in fire science at Kaplan University Online. Now is FDNY ok with people who have an online degree and what are the steps to getting toward the FDNY after getting my online degree. If anyone could help me that would be great....thx

Ryan
              lol........

You want on the FDNY? Forget this degree stuff. Forget what people are telling you. You need to MOVE to new york. Establish residency and join the military. Its the only way to have a fighting shot. Even people with no additional pts who scored a 100 on exam 6019 have a list number in the 1200's who havnt even been hried yet, and may or may not get on.
              Last edited by thanojon; 07-22-2010, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks and do you have any other cities you recommend to be a paid fire fighter?

Comment

Thank you...

Comment

all that happens after a few years on the job in an underpaid, over ran department is you develop an attitude where you are numb and everyone around you seems like an idiot.

But good luck

Comment

After what you said

After what a lot of you said I looked into Washington D.C Fire Dept how is it there for living and the fire dept????

Comment

Thanks and do you have any other cities you recommend to be a paid fire fighter?
                        apply and test with ANY department you are qualified for. youre coming right out of high school, you dont fair well against most applicants in the first place (not to discourage you).

if your only wanting to get on with big depts (boston, fdny, philly, dc), prepare to wait a very long time. move to the city you want to work for, establish residency and join a smaller dept, take a shot next time. and/or join the military.

Comment

Rusty, not to be a wet blanket to you, there are a lot of folks trying out for a few jobs all over this country.

Not saying you will never earn a badge, but there are guys who have walked the walk looking to be hired as the department is downsizing and they fear of being laid off with a wife and kids.

Usually depending on the department of course, they may establish a hiring list say of 200 people. Before that is completed, there may have been 5,000 application submitted and culled down to 4,000 to sit for a written exam. You must score very high and in most instances no score less than 98 or 97 to be competitive. Of that maybe they will only invite the top 500 to take the CPAT and then certify only 200 for a two year period.

Then if you get an interview right off, you may not be selected for the upcoming class. You may get put on a backup list for the next interview. Your background, work ethics and other stuff may keep you from being hired. They there is the chance you will not be hired by that department.

I hope I haven't scared the heck out of you, but this is the way it usually is.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Honestly? These days anyone that will take you is what I recommend. Not many people are hiring and the applicants are growing.

After what a lot of you said I looked into Washington D.C Fire Dept how is it there for living and the fire dept????
                            DC is actually just as expensive as a lot of NYC except for Manhattan. We have guys that live in PA, DE, WV, VA, MD, and a few other places. It's an easier commute than NYC though because of the 24 on/72 off schedule. Pay is better to start, but FDNY tops out much faster. In the DCFD you WILL ride the ambulance. It can be a pain if you are at a busy house to ride that thing since you never see the fire house all tour. However, in my opinion it's worth it because the DCFD is a world class fire department and you can't find those everywhere. Medics have it pretty easy right now as far as looking for a job here. I heard rumors of a test this fall or winter for the open enrollment list.(FF/EMT) Degrees won't help you with that since you have to attend an 8-month rookie school anyway. You have to sit outside all night to hand in an app, take the written test, wait to be called and then take the CPAT, background, physical and psych tests. The DCFD used to be hiring a lot, but hasn't as of late. I think only 30 or so were hired off of the current list.(2008)

Comment

Originally posted by TruckSixFF View Post
                              .....And one question may I ask. What is with everyone wanting to get on FDNY. If you are already an EMT-B, or plan on going to paramedic school it will be a waste of time, and worthless if you get on FDNY. They run CFR engine companies, and their truck companies do not run any EMS. Pay there sucks, and it is very expensive to live within the city. If you live outside the city you will have to drive a long way to and from work. It would not be as bad if you were working 24 hour shifts, but FDNY works a "day" and "night" shift. I would not want to drive and hour and a half each way for a 14 hour shift. My dept is not small in any means and I sometimes feel like I am just a number to the city. Try working in a dept with 200+ stations and over 12,000 members. I know I will get a lot of sh*t from the FDNY lovers or buffs out there but that's ok.
                              Ryan follow your dream. If it's FDNY you want good luck.
                              I drove a hour to work for 24 years. Our shifts are 9 hour day and 15 night and you can do 24's.
                              I own 2 homes, 4 cars, a son in collage...and I am very happy.... I wish I could do it all over again. Please don't listen to any none FDNY guy's. There are pro's and con's about this job. Make it work for you. The FDNY for me was one of the best things that happened in my life.
                              ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
                              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                              CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
                              LT. John Ginley Engine 40
                              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
                              FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
                              FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
                              FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
                              FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
                              FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
                              FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
                              FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40