Inquiring on New City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inquiring on New City

Hey Gang, I've got a question for you all regarding applying and testing in a new city that I know very little about. Besides the obvious budget status and vacant positions available questions, what else can I ask?
    I have a family member that lives near that city who knows an officer on their fire department. What other questions do you recommend I ask my cousin to forward on to the officer?

Thanks in advance for your response!

ask about benefits... if they have a delayed retirement option program for when you have your time put in... ask what he does not like about the department or what he wishes would change... ask how focused they are on safety...

Comment

Ask if you can get in direct contact with him first.
      Then ask if he likes working for the department.

Comment

Originally posted by nickhaake View Post
        Hey Gang, I've got a question for you all regarding applying and testing in a new city that I know very little about. Besides the obvious budget status and vacant positions available questions, what else can I ask?
        I have a family member that lives near that city who knows an officer on their fire department. What other questions do you recommend I ask my cousin to forward on to the officer?

Thanks in advance for your response!
        Indeed....Like "Bam24" said, get in touch with him directly! If you can have your relative broker a conversation with him/her, that would be much cleaner than having you relay questions through a third party, only to have half your questions come across or you sound like an idiot because of your relative's bad translation!

The previous posters are right on the money in terms of finding out about the city and department you're applying for. When I was testing in a city unfamiliar to me, I always made a habit of picking up a couple of the local newspapers to get a feel for the local politics in the city. Specifically, the city's management style, pending votes, ordinances or local legislation to be passed, crime statistics, building projects and of course, recent public safety discussions, fires, big news items.... This is a valuable tool in readying yourself for the interview (if you should make it that far). Much like a reporter gets a "feel" for the story by obtaining background on a situation, I would get a "feel" for the city or agency I was applying for. This gave me some pretty substantial talking points in case my interviewers dropped a bombshell on me by surprise!

But you get the message....know the department's schedule, size and manpower, special units or operations, the Chief's name, approximate number of call per year, new changes taking place...ect... Good Luck!!

"The Axeman"

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Inquiring on benefits and attempting to speak to the city firefighter personally are great ideas!

Thanks again.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X