CA to VA Fire Reciprocity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA to VA Fire Reciprocity

It looks like the wife and I will be relocating to Virginia. Does anyone know if my California FF I and FF II will be recognized in VA? The VA website doesn't say much, so I'm hoping someone here has some experience and can help me out. Thanks for your help.
    "That others may live"

VA will accept it if the certs are Pro Board Approved. There will be a little seal on your cert with Pro Board. If not, the VA will probably not accept it. Are you looking to volunteer or prof in VA. Some prof depart require Fire I prior to hire, but most will put you thru their own academy. All depends on what part of VA you are moving to.

Comment

Originally posted by JUSTWIN View Post
      It looks like the wife and I will be relocating to Virginia. Does anyone know if my California FF I and FF II will be recognized in VA? The VA website doesn't say much, so I'm hoping someone here has some experience and can help me out. Thanks for your help.

Go to this site and look for a telephone number. Call it and ask.

http://www.vafire.com/
      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Thanks

I am looking for a paid Firefighter position, but I am also looking to volunteer when we get out there to learn the area and see how different the job is from California. We are looking in and around D.C., Charlottesville and specifically Arlington or Fairfax. I have my FF I and my FF II as well as E.M.T-I/99.

My certs do not have a pro board seal. My old chief said they should carry over or I may be able to challenge?

I looked at the website and did not find much info. I cant really call much right now due to my current location (military), which is why I gave this a shot.

Thanks.
        "That others may live"

Comment

I work for Arlington now. We have a class that just started. Fairfax is getting ready to do a class as well. I know that both will require you to go through their schools no matter what certs you have. It will help though. Prince William is another county. A friend of mine left Arlington to go there. They gave him the option to use his certs or go through school again. Other departments to consider in the area are Montgomery County MD, Prince Georges County MD, and Alexandria VA. Typically most people will apply to all and take whatever comes first. Most of us are getting over the recession cut backs. But I would say that you should check out each departments site and at least sign up for test notications.

One downside to Arlington is that housing is pretty expensive, NOVA region in general. Very few people in my department don't live in Arlington.

Good luck and drop me a PM if you have any more questions.

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I will definitely be sending you a PM or two. I appreciate all the help. Stay safe.
            "That others may live"

Comment

Greetings,

My name is Bill Hicks and I am in my 18th year in the fire service, and currently serve as a fire chief. I am also a doctoral candidate at Eastern Kentucky University and my dissertation topic involves investigating the current status of firefighter reciprocity among the 50 states. I am seeking members of the fire service who may have experience in moving from state to state and seeking reciprocity, or recognition of certification issued by your old state, in a new state. Also, if you came from the military and sought reciprocity for DOD certificates, I would like to hear from you as well. If you have not experienced this, please forward the link below to anyone who you may know that has done this.

For those that have such experiences, I am humbly asking you to give 5 minutes of your time to answer a short series of question found at the link below on your experiences with seeking reciprocity, or recognition when you moved from one state to another, regardless of being paid or volunteer members in your department.

Also at the end of the survey you will have a space to share any experiences you may have had when dealing with reciprocity of fire service certifications in your department and with your state. Also feel free to forward this to any fire service member(s) who you feel would have something to say on the topic.

Your anonymity is protected throughout the process. Just click or copy the link below to begin.

https://ekussem.co1.qualtrics.com/SE...Z1aVMb9w1QhYtD

Also, if you would like to share your experiences with me in more depth after taking part in the survey, please leave your email in the beginning of the comments section at the end of the survey.

Comment

The link below contains all the info you need. See 6-3 pertaining to reciprocity.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...68235269,d.cGU

Comment

Virginia is horrible at giving reciprocity.

Comment

Originally posted by firewacker49 View Post
                    Virginia is horrible at giving reciprocity.

Virginia doesn't trust any other state unless you have a pro board certification. They rather teach you the right way, once you get hired. Even if you have a pro board cert, in most urban departments, you will attend their recruit class and serve you one year probation, upon graduation.
                    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Update!

Just this week, Virginia has relaxed the reciprocity standards. This is a portion of a letter that was recently distributed to all VA departments:

"Any person who is affiliated and in good standing with a Virginia Fire Department and can provide a certificate(s) of training dated January 1, 1993, or later, from a state that is recognized by the National Professional Qualifications Board or similarly nationally recognized organization will be recognized under certain conditions by VDFP at that level of certification(s). Such certificate holder will not be required to take the Virginia examinations provided the certificate(s) have been approved by the Fire Chief of the Virginia Department with which that person is affiliated. The Fire Chief shall provide to VDFP a letter of request for reciprocity on Fire Department letterhead with the Fire Chief’s signature. Reciprocity can only be issued for courses that VDFP is currently accredited to teach. VDFP does not issue reciprocity for Fire Inspector and Fire Investigator. For additional information relating to reciprocity contact the Quality Assurance Division."
                      Career Fire Captain
                      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X