tattoo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tattoo's

im goin to school in the fall to be a firefighter and i wanted too get a firefighter tattoo to help motivate me to achieve my goals..do u think it is to early to get one or should i wait ...will i be judged having one in the early stages of becoming a firefighter??

Assuming its a fd related tat, I would wait till you get a job with a dept.

Comment

Wait till you're on the job.
      Career Fire Captain
      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

I know of a FF who wants to get a gung-ho fire-related tattoo but the name of the neighborhood he works in (and hence the station) is best known for an orange cartoon cat...

Just like any tattoo, think twice.
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by paulino70 View Post
          im goin to school in the fall to be a firefighter and i wanted too get a firefighter tattoo to help motivate me to achieve my goals..do u think it is to early to get one or should i wait ...will i be judged having one in the early stages of becoming a firefighter??
          How is a tattoo going to motivate you in any way? You're either motivated in the mind or you're not. Tattoos express to others that you are implying you belong or are motivated. That being said, if you do get one, place it so it cannot be seen while in uniform as many FD's have no visible tattoo policies and you won't want to limit yourself in any way for getting hired.

Comment

Yep" go get yourself a tramp stamp so your potential future employers will be impressed by your lack of self control.
            Don't forget the chances of catching a lifelong case of hepatitis .

Comment

Don't you think you should pass the class before you jump off the cliff?

I have never heard about this new motivational technique, a tatoo. I always thought of them as a means of self expression or something that someone did in a moment of weakness - Drunk comes to mind. A girlfriend could motivate you I suppose.

Most of the departments where I have served have had a no-tolerance policy concerning tatoos being displayed in the open. This was brought about mostly by the size and material contained within the art.

No one cares if you have "Mother" modestly stenciled on your bicep with little hearts and flowers.

But firefighters, especially the younger guys, seem to go for the flames and demon renderings. I have turned away guys and gals that came in with some of the most outrageous tats. Hard to look professional and clean cut with the phrase "I Dance with the Devil" surrounded by flames displayed on your arm. How about barb wire on the neck?

Go for the "Mother" and no one will care.

And yes... I have a nice little tatoo. What can I say... it was moment of weakness and it seemed like a good idea at the time.
              HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Job first, ink later.

IF you get the job, think about whether you want firefighter ink after about 10 years or so and then think very carefully about what to get and where to put it. It's a lot harder to get rid of ink than it is to get it.
                "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                sigpic
                The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

A bit early I think.

And as you can see, you will be judged for even thinking about getting a tattoo.

While I have nothing against tattoos (I have a rather large one myself) you should get it where it will not be visible in uniform or even in short sleeves IMO. And it definitely shouldn't be visible for any FD related interviews!!

Comment

For the 1,000 plus times, WAIT!

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
                    http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Badge first, tattoo after.

Comment

If he gets a fire tat and flunks out... he can always have " I flunked out of fire school" added....

I have a friend who got his fire tat after he retired.. his reason? If he screwed up and got fired, it would be pretty stupid to have the tat to begin with....
                        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

I would head down to the tattoo shop as soon as you finish reading this and get a HUGE tattoo on your back of a guy in turnouts fighting a massive, mean looking fire-breathing dragon with nothing more than a fire hose. Then under it, in Olde English font, write "I FIGHT WHAT YOU FEAR." Then make sure to get a maltese cross on each shoulder and a tribal band around your bicep, but make the detail a firehose flaked out. If you're really hard core, you can tattoo just above your nether region the words "Put the wet stuff on the red stuff."

That would motivate me. It would also get you the respect of all the senior firefighters, so make sure to show them the tattoo at your interview or station tours. Also, chicks dig it.

Comment

Hahahahaha!!!! Dayam zzyyzx..lol...Don't sugar coat it now!!! lol!!!

Yo Paulino...I bet you'll think twice before you ask another dumb ***** question like that one on this thread!! BUT, we'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're very young and immature. Look dude...it's like this: you've got way bigger fish to fry than to be thinkin' about spending money on tats. How about spending some money to get ready for the written exam?? Well now that's a novel idea..isn't it??? How about getting motivated by practicing for the most difficult part of the process, the interview??? All the tats in the world ain't gonna take that donut roll off you're belly if you're not getting yourself in shape!!

See... before being concerned about people judging you for having a tat before you even get a badge, you should be concerned about being judged for having a poor sense of priorities!! Use you noggin kid!! This is not rocket science!!!

"The Axeman"

"Purpose, Truth and Passion Yield Power and Dominion IN ACTION!!!"

Comment

Yeah, I guess I was in a bit of a different mood last night. I hope I demonstrated my idea that it would do much more harm to his reputation at this point. If you want to design a really cool tattoo and pin it up on your wall to get later, THAT can be your motivation to get through the academy and get hired. I wouldn't do ANYTHING until you're hired and off probation, though.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X