Seattle Fire medicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle Fire medicals

Did everyone pass their psychologicals and medicals?

I did. Will I be seeing you on the 18th?

Comment

dont think so.I made the alternates.so unless one of you fail you wont.Dont take that the wrong way but usually one fails

Comment

Is there an orientation for you guys yet? I went through a recent academy, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

Comment

No, I have my chief interview next week, Tuesday. I am assuming we will found out then. Is the orientation the 1st day or earlier? I am moving from the east coast and wondering if I need to plan for an earlier departure from here.

Comment

We had the orientation about a month out, but that's crunch time for you guys. I know some of the out of town guys didn't make our orientation. I just happened to be in town for work so was able to make it. Make friends with one of your classmates and have them report to you what you need. I'd talk with HR out here and ask what they can do for you with your out of town dilemma for orientation. The first half week of the academy will be union stuff, admin, rig/equipment orientation and driver training. The big thing for orientation is to get your books ASAP as there is a ton of studying to do for the first exams. It's a ton of info to retain, but not overwhelming or anything. Hopefully, if this is your last trip out before moving, they can give you your books. You'll need at least 4 or 5 days if not a week to get it down. Let me know if I can help out in any other ways. Cheers.

Comment

Sfd

I agree with GRNFT - study the materials early. Focus on the Basic Skills Manual.

Comment

GRNFT- what was the percentage of recruits that graduated the academy?
                Do you feel the CPAT was an accurate reflection of what is required during the academy?
                We have dealt with these issues lately, curious what your view is as a recent recruit.

Comment

We know the answer to that one already flipper :P
                  The CPAT is a cakewalk compared to many of the evolutions required.

Is my search function not working, or has the old entire Tacoma thread been removed?

That said, flipper, I forget if you guys are still using your old PAT or looking at changing to the CPAT?

Comment

Flipper we had 17 of 24 graduate, but maybe only 1 or 2 had trouble with the physical aspect of the class. I know the class before us had 15 I think make it through. It's averaging about a 25% attrition rate lately. The CPAT is not a very accurate depiction of what we were doing. Just having some athletic ability and being in good shape will help tremendously. The graded and timed evolutions last anywhere from 35 seconds to over 5 or 6 minutes. I would say doing training where you get your heart rate up for 20 minutes or so and then quick recovery and doing it again prepared me best. I did this 22 minute workout rowing teams used and it did a great job of getting me ready. Upper body and grip strength for the ladders and leg/stamina for the engine stuff helped too. It's that going hard for 3 or 4 minutes and then being able to recover and do it again a few minutes later for 8 hours a day, vs. the CPAT where you go hard for 7 or 8 min and are done for the day, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by ffbam24 View Post
                      We know the answer to that one already flipper :P
                      The CPAT is a cakewalk compared to many of the evolutions required.

Is my search function not working, or has the old entire Tacoma thread been removed?

That said, flipper, I forget if you guys are still using your old PAT or looking at changing to the CPAT?
                      We still use the "old" one, with modifications through the last couple years.
                      It's still a very challenging evolution.
                      I remember the old Seattle test, it used to be graded (God forbid!). The faster you did the tower climb and hoist, the better your score.
                      Weird idea,huh?

Comment

What a novel concept. I heard Everett was dropping theirs and moving to the CPAT too.

Comment

Originally posted by flipper123 View Post
                          We still use the "old" one, with modifications through the last couple years.
                          It's still a very challenging evolution.
                          I remember the old Seattle test, it used to be graded (God forbid!). The faster you did the tower climb and hoist, the better your score.
                          Weird idea,huh?
                          Good to hear. It's still a good one. Took the old SFD a couple times before they went to the CPAT. The proctor at the bottom of the stairs asked, "Encouragement or Harassment?"

Originally posted by GRNFT View Post
                          What a novel concept. I heard Everett was dropping theirs and moving to the CPAT too.
                          They already did is my understanding with their most recent test.

Comment

does anyone know if there will be a second recruit class for 2008 test? i passed cpat and have not heard anything since. anybody with info would be much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by prostar81 View Post
                              does anyone know if there will be a second recruit class for 2008 test? i passed cpat and have not heard anything since. anybody with info would be much appreciated
                              I was told one class off this list.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X