• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnny46
    replied
    Originally posted by Frosty42 View Post
    Just my .02 worth on this matter.....

I challenge anyone to prove that structural PPE is tenanable for 17 seconds in a flashover. Current studies with modern PPE can only allow for 3-5 seconds of survival in post-rollover (flashover) environments. Two hoods? No Thanks.
    Is "post-rollover" a euphemism for flashover?

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    Originally posted by Frosty42 View Post
    With the rapid advancements in PPE, our thermal exposure has been greatly extended to the point where in some cases it has resulted in loss of life because the end user relied on the PPE and not their training.
    I'm glad you have this special insight. Do you speak directly with the dead, or do you just make the assumptions based upon your magnificent intelligence?

Leave a comment:

• TC33FF
    replied
    I would prefer to wear a reed hood but my dept doesn't allow it. Since not everyone would be wearing it. I know a Houston area Dept not in the Reeds. But they do give us a triple layer nomex hood. Which is pretty close to the Reed. I like to have the little extra protection that the hoods give you. Some guys wear 2 of the 3 layer hoods which gets to bulky for me. Reed is still the preferance. But will live with the 3ply hood. Chris

Leave a comment:

• jerry4184
    replied
    Oh, I never said it was good for 17.5 seconds. 17.5 is the industry standard to which all gear is manufactured, but that is only good for a one time flash heating to flashover temperatures. It doesn't take inot pre hearting the gear by crawling through the burning house, you sweating in it, your gear being older than just out of the package new, or any one of the ten million things that effect us on a daily basis. That's why I said, you might get a few seconds, out of it, but 17.5, no way.

Leave a comment:

• Frosty42
    replied
    With the rapid advancements in PPE, our thermal exposure has been greatly extended to the point where in some cases it has resulted in loss of life because the end user relied on the PPE and not their training. Firefighter survival does not start when we recognize the fact that we are in trouble. It starts the second we respond to the call. We should be using our senses and our training to perform our tasks on the fireground. PPE is only a small part of the equation.

I challenge anyone to prove that structural PPE is tenanable for 17 seconds in a flashover. Current studies with modern PPE can only allow for 3-5 seconds of survival in post-rollover (flashover) environments. Two hoods? No Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    I think the guys in the video are idiots.

Two hoods would buy time, create more airspace and thus insulate the head better. It obviously would increase protection. Seconds count when you're trying to get out.

I use one hood currently and I'm thinking about using two, but I don't own a second hood since I lost one a few years ago. The guys who use two hoods here have the sock hood as insurance against gaps left by the occasional screw up.

Leave a comment:

• ndvfdff33
    replied
    I really don't see what protection your going too gain by wearing two hoods. If the fire is hot enough too burn through one chances are its going too burn through two. That vid is just pure stupidity

Leave a comment:

• jerry4184
    replied
    I still don't get most of the two hoods argument, but hey, what do i know?

I don't use two, I don't need two, but if you want to, I gues go ahead, it's not going to affect me.

As for the video, I doubt two hoods would have helped no matter how you look at, what do you think johnny46? I say they were wearing two STUPID hoods.

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    So these guys were wearing two hoods? I missed that part of the video.

Even if they were, it wouldn't be a damning argument against two hoods any more than the "sensing surroundings" or "going to deep" arguments. Both are garbage arguments. Plenty of firemen every day operate "fully encapsulated" and come out fine without haveing been caught in flashovers, and firemen also get caught in flashovers without hoods at all.

Leave a comment:

• jerry4184
    replied
    How is that example irrelevant, they burned without even being in the flashover itself.

Leave a comment:

• FireDawgEMT22
    replied
    The biggest problem I see with that video is they were trying to impress the public by going INTO flames...I dont know about you, but sitting here in my chair, I cant think of a scenario I wouldnt have the water on as I went into that fire. The gear is there to protect us..not be abused and show off...

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Originally posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Sure you can, I'm sure that is what these guys' chief told them before this stupid *** demo....

That example is irrelevant. They entered that "structure" after the flash occured.

Leave a comment:

• FireDawgEMT22
    replied
    Originally posted by btvaine View Post
    I don't think that two hoods are really nessecary because dealing with the heat is all part of the fun its like having a fire with no smoke so if you cant take the heat become a cop
    This is the type of attitude that gets people hurt. Two hoods are not necessary, when I was in the NAvy they had us use two hoods, one tucked inside our gear and one hanging out that way nothing fell into our collar, ofcourse we didnt have helmets on the sub's either. But you should never compromise safety for fun

Leave a comment:

• cooper173
    replied
    yeah i was told that something happen to one of there face mask and he burnt his lungs or something like that, i could be all wrong though.

Leave a comment:

• backsteprescue
    replied
    Originally posted by cooper173 View Post
    One of those firefighters died from his burn's, dont qoute me on that, and the other got burned up pretty good.
    Are you talking about the video above???? Because I am almost certain that no one died in that burn.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X