No announcement yet.

wearing double hoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We wear lion gear and it held up we were in the room no more than 10 seconds and we were not burnt. One guy had slight burns on his forehead were his helmet and hood got pull back when he hit the floor when he was getting out. Our gear protected us. Our face pieces melted and we had to get new helmets and two guys got new gear. After the flashover our gear was sent out and tested and two of the sets failed. We also had to get three new scba bottles and harnesses due to the damage. We lost one section of hose and two hand tools. A lot better than loosing any firefighters.

Comment

Originally posted by giweff View Post
      We wear lion gear and it held up we were in the room no more than 10 seconds and we were not burnt. One guy had slight burns on his forehead were his helmet and hood got pull back when he hit the floor when he was getting out. Our gear protected us. Our face pieces melted and we had to get new helmets and two guys got new gear. After the flashover our gear was sent out and tested and two of the sets failed. We also had to get three new scba bottles and harnesses due to the damage. We lost one section of hose and two hand tools. A lot better than loosing any firefighters.
      There's something wrong with the board translation device. This is almost, but not entirely unlike, English.
      Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Great fun but some real opinions

I see we're having some fun(one of the best parts of being a FF) here but I will try to provide my actual opinions and experience to our future

Two hoods=too much
        you need to be able to feel some heat to detect changing conditions and even locate the fire in zero visibility.

A hood is a good part of PPE especially with all the nasty stuff dripping and falling in todays fires. Hoods wont stop alot of steam.

I wear one of the heavier wieght PBI and leave my ear flaps rolled up in my helmet good protection and still gives me sensation of tempurature and the rise or fall and which side is hotter left or right.

You shouldn't wear more (or less) in training than you do in real life. Training is susposed to simulate real life and give you that experience so you know what to expect and how to solve the problem.

Flashovers- Learn to recognizethe signs and get the hell out quick gear will not keep you from getting nasty burns. If you ever get the opportunity to take a Flashover simulator class do it. Teaches you how to recognize and how to delay them ehough to get out and witness a flashover in controlled conditions (your actually below floor level of the flash over room). Plus it is wicked hot. Dont high five your buddy in the simulator you'll both end up with 2nd degree burns on your palms or anywhere you touch on your body.

Comment

i'm pretty sure that i wouldn't like to wear two hoods into a fire. i haven't been in a fire yet, but i have worn hoods at trainings and know that any more than one would probably get in the way. one hood is fine, but two that's a lot more area around my head, so my helmet would have to be expanded and it would be quite loose. that would probably be uncomfortable. also, with more than one hood on, i can see the top one sliding over the mask, and blocking the view.

as has been stated, if you cant take the heat, become a cop.

Comment

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
            Sure you can, I'm sure that is what these guys' chief told them before this stupid *** demo...
            Jake that's insane. What a bunch of freaking idiots. "Let's show off for the public and show them what we've been practicing boys!"
            Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
            Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Originally posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Comment

Originally posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
              Jake that's insane. What a bunch of freaking idiots. "Let's show off for the public and show them what we've been practicing boys!"
              Ya i know. Can't believe you havent seen that one.

Check the PM's brother.
              ------------------------------------
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

One of those firefighters died from his burn's, dont qoute me on that, and the other got burned up pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by fireman2151 View Post
                  I see we're having some fun(one of the best parts of being a FF) here but I will try to provide my actual opinions and experience to our future

Two hoods=too much
                  you need to be able to feel some heat to detect changing conditions and even locate the fire in zero visibility.

A hood is a good part of PPE especially with all the nasty stuff dripping and falling in todays fires. Hoods wont stop alot of steam.

I wear one of the heavier wieght PBI and leave my ear flaps rolled up in my helmet good protection and still gives me sensation of tempurature and the rise or fall and which side is hotter left or right.

It depends on your training. I know guys who wear two hoods and they come out fine. I've done it before and might go back to it. It merely reduces the heat felt, it doesn't eliminate it.

The hoods we use stop steam. About the dumbest part of sock hoods is the lack of ability to stop steam. Why would your ears be less protected than your shoulders?

Comment

Originally posted by cooper173 View Post
                    One of those firefighters died from his burn's, dont qoute me on that, and the other got burned up pretty good.
                    Are you talking about the video above???? Because I am almost certain that no one died in that burn.
                    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

yeah i was told that something happen to one of there face mask and he burnt his lungs or something like that, i could be all wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by btvaine View Post
                        I don't think that two hoods are really nessecary because dealing with the heat is all part of the fun its like having a fire with no smoke so if you cant take the heat become a cop
                        This is the type of attitude that gets people hurt. Two hoods are not necessary, when I was in the NAvy they had us use two hoods, one tucked inside our gear and one hanging out that way nothing fell into our collar, ofcourse we didnt have helmets on the sub's either. But you should never compromise safety for fun

Comment

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
                          Sure you can, I'm sure that is what these guys' chief told them before this stupid *** demo....

That example is irrelevant. They entered that "structure" after the flash occured.
                          Career Firefighter
                          Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                          I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

The biggest problem I see with that video is they were trying to impress the public by going INTO flames...I dont know about you, but sitting here in my chair, I cant think of a scenario I wouldnt have the water on as I went into that fire. The gear is there to protect us..not be abused and show off...

Comment

How is that example irrelevant, they burned without even being in the flashover itself.

Comment

So these guys were wearing two hoods? I missed that part of the video.

Even if they were, it wouldn't be a damning argument against two hoods any more than the "sensing surroundings" or "going to deep" arguments. Both are garbage arguments. Plenty of firemen every day operate "fully encapsulated" and come out fine without haveing been caught in flashovers, and firemen also get caught in flashovers without hoods at all.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X