No announcement yet.

wearing double hoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel stupid. I read that whole post in one breath thinking their would be punctuation.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Originally posted by Catch22
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Comment

Originally posted by 1835Wayne View Post
      Punctuation and grammar please young man. This is not Myspace,Yahoo,or MSN messenger.
      Theres no such thing anymore
      If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

I Was in a flashover last year and I only had one hood on. Out helmets maskes and straps on out scba's burnt but not my ears or any where else for that matter. There is no need for two. But I think you are Stupid if you dont wear one at all. I can take some heat but why in the hell would anyone not want to wear something that is going to help them not get hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by giweff View Post
          I Was in a flashover last year and I only had one hood on. Out helmets maskes and straps on out scba's burnt but not my ears or any where else for that matter. There is no need for two. But I think you are Stupid if you dont wear one at all. I can take some heat but why in the hell would anyone not want to wear something that is going to help them not get hurt.
          I always thought that "EVERYTHING" burned up in a Flashover!!!!!
          Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

Originally posted by clermontfd623 View Post
            this is the first i've heard of double hoods i really dont like it all you need is one by the time 2 hoods would be effective you would be toast some of the real old school guys on my department dont like to wear hoods at all not sure if this is true but i heard one guy tough as nails got burns all over his head from this practice
            Two hoods or not, the weakest part of the ensemble is the mask.

Two hoods would be weaker than one coat.

Firefighters WITHOUT hoods have been caught in flashovers or burned and killed.

It's a myth that needs to be executed, pushed into a deep, deep grave, covered with lime, concrete, hardened steel and left unmarked, lest someone resurrect this stupidest of fairytales.
            Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

The room was on fire top to bottom We were lucky to get out not hurt and part of the reason was we had our hoods on. All of our face maskes were melted out and they would not have lasted too much longer. Who ever said that everything is on fire in a flashover you should know our gear is designed to make is a short amout of time in a flashover. That is why i am able to write this today.

Comment

What kind of gear do you have that makes it in a flashover? Mine sure as heck won't take a flashover UNSCATHED! I don't know of any gear short of proximity stuff that can take those temperatures at all.

Comment

Originally posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
                  I always thought that "EVERYTHING" burned up in a Flashover!!!!!
                  First I'm really surprised how long this thread has been going on.

Anyway...as for the quote part....that is why we wear this gear. It can and will protect you in a flashover. If I do recall there were 5 FF's from Kansas City make it out of a flashover. Hope all are doing good.

Second we had a LODD this past summer and one of our FF's was able to get out. Her gear was something else to see the pics of. Helmet held up, but faceshield was melted. The gear was discolored and the mgf stated that was actually burned, but it held up. When our other FF was finally recovered, the boots were melted and SCBA fiberglass on the tank was opened, but the gear held up. It was estimated that the fire was close to 2000 degrees and at a point a there was a freon tank in the basement that the relief valve blew and was like a blowtorch over the head of the FF who got out.

Point being folks...this gear is there for a reason and does work if it is properly worn.
                  The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

Ok so note to self two hood no and a flashover is bloody hot and you don't want to get caught in one.

Now that I have summarized the two arguments in this thread lets let it die unless you want to post something useful and not an argument like no one can ever survive a flashover or two hoods are better then one because I say so lets get over them. Though I do find these arguments helpful at times for learning purposes but after a while it kinda gets annoying. But because we are talking about flashovers anyhoo could anyone post some useful information about them and any experiences?
                    Thanks.

It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by t0asty View Post
                      Ok so note to self two hood no and a flashover is bloody hot and you don't want to get caught in one.

Now that I have summarized the two arguments in this thread lets let it die unless you want to post something useful and not an argument like no one can ever survive a flashover or two hoods are better then one because I say so lets get over them. Though I do find these arguments helpful at times for learning purposes but after a while it kinda gets annoying. But because we are talking about flashovers anyhoo could anyone post some useful information about them and any experiences?
                      Thanks.
                      No one said you couldn't survive a flashover, but you can't be in a flashover without being on fire. Plain and sinmple.
                      Career Firefighter
                      Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                      I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                        , but you can't be in a flashover without being on fire. Plain and sinmple.
                        Sure you can, I'm sure that is what these guys' chief told them before this stupid *** demo....

------------------------------------
                        These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
                        ------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                          No one said you couldn't survive a flashover, but you can't be in a flashover without being on fire. Plain and sinmple.

Huh??....By being on fire, I hope you mean your gear gets burned, discolored, but not actively flaming fire. Your face shield melts, doesn't burst into flames. If you think you are a walking fireball...that just isn't the case.

FYI...most gear is made to withstand some very high temperatures (not sure on actual degrees). If you take a room that flashes over, typically the contents of the room have a lower ignition temp than that of your gear. You can be in a flashover that may not be hot enough to reach the ignition point of your gear. Either way GTFO...do you really want to see if your gear will start on fire?
                          The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

I think I read somewhere it must last 17 seconds in 2000 degree direct heat to pass muster. Don't quote me on that but I am pretty sure it is somewhere around there. Like i noted for my self before, Don't get caught in a flash over. That would not be a fun day.

Comment

That was the concern of the chief at my old department.He'd been on Memphis area departments since the early 70s and saw PPE go from boots and a jacket to full encapsulation.
                              He was worried that we newbies might be getting too covered up to feel when we were in a situation we'd best back away from.
                              I'm all for covering to protect my hide from burning like a steak too long on the grill.But I am in even more favor of being able to sense my surroundings when I can't hear the radio screaming warnings from visible signs outside.
                              I carried two hoods but the second was for when the first one got too wet to be comfortable or for a loaner for someone who got dressed too fast and left his/hers behind.
                              Originally posted by fireman4949 View Post
                              Not in any real danger?
                              So far as the wearing of two hoods goes. I can't see it...Ever.
                              In training, if you need two hoods to protect yourself, your training in far too dangerous conditions.
                              If you wear two hoods at a structure fire, your putting yourself in danger of not being able to react quickly enough to changing conditions within the structure.
                              I wear only one (good quality) hood, and I do not use helmet ear flaps. I can feel when fire conditions begin to change, and if I feel that I'm starting to get blistered, I either get lower, or I get out.
                              Too many firefighters these days it seems, are afraid to feel any heat at all. They have to realize their ears can be used for more than just listening in a fire.
                              Kevin
                              Last edited by doughesson; 03-02-2007, 03:02 PM.

Comment

The current standard for gear is 17.5 seconds in a flashover condition before human skin starts getting 2nd degree burns. However, this time does go down if you've been in a hot condition -PRE- flashover. So the 17.5 is not what you'll actually get. If you've been in a fire, before getting to the flashover point, your gear will already be preheated, and your safety net time, is greatly reduced.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X