wearing double hoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wearing double hoods

I need some feedback on wearing double hoods in fires. I am not an advocate of this practice but it seems that some of our firefighters are doing this.

Originally posted by truk10 View Post
    I need some feedback on wearing double hoods in fires. I am not an advocate of this practice but it seems that some of our firefighters are doing this.
    When you grow up, become a real firefighter, and get some experience, you will realize that three is the bare minimum.

Troll

Comment

OMG!!!

RUN AND HIDE!!!

UNDER A ROCK...............IN A HOLE...............ANYWHERE.............RUNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Please god let this madness end.
      Last edited by backsteprescue; 02-14-2007, 05:21 PM.
      ------------------------------------
      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
      ------------------------------------

Comment

Just two hoods? What about the second set of bunker pants, topped with 3/4 boots, and both a black, and a tan jacket? Now you're probably gonna tell us they actually go in the building, and attempt to use a hose to put out the fire. Pure insanity I tell you, pure insanity.

Comment

Two Hoods?

I don't think that two hoods are really nessecary because dealing with the heat is all part of the fun its like having a fire with no smoke so if you cant take the heat become a cop
          Never Forget 343

Comment

I don't even like one hood let alone two..
            If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

personally, I like wearing 5 hoods, and 3 pairs of gloves. I also have shoes in my boots, and 3 pears of sweats under my pants.

Comment

I always wear 2 hoods. Doesn't everybody, plus all the above mentioned extra PPE? I started strapping a wheel barrow to the back of the rig. When I get to a job, I bring extra bottles, 2 sets of irons, 2 cans, rabbit tool, tool box, smooth bore, fog nozzle, cellar nozzle, master stream, 2 hooks, roof ladder, extension ladder, rope bag, and I always bring 2 hoselines because you never know. I might start bringing 2 wheel barrow's and a trailer on the back of the engine... IF YOU CAN"T TAKE THE HEAT, GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS!!!!!

Comment

I have a hood for my mini me.

Comment

I actually have several preferences when it comes to having multiple layers of protection. First, I like to wear my bunker pants then pull my 3/4 boots up over the legs. Second, If its a really big fire, then I'll throw my long coat over my bunker coat also. Third, If I'm doing roof work, I'll put my safety glasses on, then put my mask on, then put 4 inch shield down then complain because something might fly under it. Finally, I wear a coat of mail under my nomex hood for ultimate protection. What? I'm a "Safety Suzy".
                    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
                    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Originally posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Comment

Originally posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
                      I actually have several preferences when it comes to having multiple layers of protection. First, I like to wear my bunker pants then pull my 3/4 boots up over the legs. Second, If its a really big fire, then I'll throw my long coat over my bunker coat also. Third, If I'm doing roof work, I'll put my safety glasses on, then put my mask on, then put 4 inch shield down then complain because something might fly under it. Finally, I wear a coat of mail under my nomex hood for ultimate protection. What? I'm a "Safety Suzy".
                      please

you forgot to put on your paul conway heritage (composite and leather helmet ) and then over everything else put on the proximity suit

Comment

Originally posted by Firefighter2230 View Post
                        please

you forgot to put on your paul conway heritage (composite and leather helmet ) and then over everything else put on the proximity suit
                        Dangit, good thing this is the Junior forum and we're not actually going into fire's on this forum or I might would have gotten burned!
                        Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
                        Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Originally posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Comment

I’ll try to help you out here. The reason I where only one hood is so that I can get a gauge on how hot it is within the compartment. When I can a feel for the temperature, it’s one of the tools I use to recognize conditions and when I need to manage the hot gases above my head (i.e. advance quicker, advance cautiously, get ready to retreat, etc).

Stay Safe

Comment

Ok... Just because I am an explorer (and only for a short amount of time), can someone give me a good reason for wearing two hoods. All I have thought of is heat maybe.
                            "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
                            For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
                            Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Originally posted by Catch22
                            It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
                            "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Comment

There is a bit of a disagreement amongst some, but I see no reason to wear two hoods at all. You need to know when it's getting hot. Not being able to radily feel the heat, can do you in, as it's harder to tell when the environment is changing. I wear one hood, and that's more than enough protection for me. Other people don't wear one, and they do fine. Just do what your SOP's say.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X