No announcement yet.

Juniors & School grades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking as an advisor for an explorer post, here's what we do with regard to grades...

All explorers must submit report cards/progress reports at EVERY marking period, must be passing all classes (average passing grade is a C). If they fail more than one subject, they are suspended until the next marking period
    at which time they must have improved their grade & being passing all classes. **If they continue to "forget" to bring their report cards, the chief contacts the school directly & gets the records**

If the explorer failed one class, we address it with them to see why - was it for missing class, not handing in projects, goofing off or did they genuinely have difficulty with the topic? If it was that they had trouble with the material, we will allow them to continue to attend mettings/drills/calls with the understanding that 1) they are to be passing by the next marking period
    2) we offer them the assistance of a tutor (we have several teachers among the ranks of the senior members) & 3) they have to keep on the straight
    & narrow at the dept. as well or else they get suspended.

While we believe in treating the explorers as young adults, if we feel the need, we will contact their parents & address the situation. Often times, the parents are ok with them still attending knowing that they are on probation
    & have the ability to receive tutoring (at no charge of course). Sometimes, however, they will identify other problems the explorer is having at home/school & then we deal with that accordingly.

Quite simply, if you've got an explorer who does their work yet they failed a single class, we give them a second chance & offer them help. If they failed due to screwing around or they failed multiple classes (usually related to the first reason), then we issue (and enforce) a suspension.

Just my 2 cents..Hope it helps. Stay Safe...

Comment

Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
      We're also working on helping them out with ACT and SAT preperation.
      WHOA! Nice job, but shouldn't that be done in the schools? I mean at my school they pound it into us. Would't the school be failing its students if it failed to adequately prepare its students for these tests. Granted that some work must be done by yourself but...
      ------------------------------------
      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
        WHOA! Nice job, but shouldn't that be done in the schools? I mean at my school they pound it into us. Would't the school be failing its students if it failed to adequately prepare its students for these tests. Granted that some work must be done by yourself but...
        Well, we're going beyond what the school is doing. The school doesn't actually do a whole lot, anyhow. It's not like we're doing ACT classes, more tips and "Hey, I'm having problems with the________ section, can you help me out" type of thing. We've only got a couple seniors, so it's not that big of a thing, but we're wanting to develop it for the future possibly. The more of the kids that go to college and get scholarships to do so, the better the FD looks.

Comment

Thank You

I want to thank all that have responded to this question. It has been very helpful. It has given me some great ides to put out on the table when I meet with the other advisors. We are a young program (2years) and still fine tunning. So far it has produced 4 active regular members with another 10 waiting to come of age.......I belive most will join, a couple only wanted this to add to their college resumes.....but thats OK too, maybe someday they'll come back! Thanks again

Comment

Im the Pres.

Im the president of our post pretty much do everything....we don't really punish for grades at this point...we dont ask for a reportcard copy or anything like that. we do have a batt. Cheif who coaches football at one local school and spents time =at our school he knows our teachers and he checks up on us...if you do somthin stupinf hes gonna find out.....

Comment

Originally posted by PFVFRWFD1 View Post
              Im the president of our post pretty much do everything....we don't really punish for grades at this point...we dont ask for a reportcard copy or anything like that. we do have a batt. Cheif who coaches football at one local school and spents time =at our school he knows our teachers and he checks up on us...if you do somthin stupinf hes gonna find out.....
              #1) Pay better attention to your spelling and grammar. People may tell you that proper spelling isn't important on a forum but you will inevitably be judged by them.

#2) As for, "knows our teachers and he checks up on us," if he's working as a coach and using privileged information he receives from teachers somebody stands to be in a lot of hot water for breach of privacy. There may be justification for teachers discussing students with a school coach for use in connection with his school related coaching duties -- not with outside organizations.
              Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 02-20-2007, 10:35 AM.
              "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
              sigpic
              The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

At my company, we're required to be passing classes and must show report cards to the Captain or President of the house so they can make sure we're doing okay. We help out the juniors who are having trouble in school, and that seems to be the right thing to do from my point of view. Failing one class isn't grounds for suspension, but we do keep an eye on them and make sure it isn't the firehouse that's hurting their grades. I have seen a junior get suspended until his grades went up. As a junior, I believe that is something that should definitely be taken seriously.

Comment

When an Explorer joins our post, their parent or legal guardian comes in and has a sit-down with our Explorer Line Officers and Advisers. At that point we basically go through the By-Laws and a generally briefing of the SOP's for Explorers. A sub-section in our By-Laws states that an Explorer must achieve a C or higher in order to remain active. We do not require for them to hand in a report card each quarter, however we stress to the parents that school is of the utmost importance and has a higher standing on the totem pole. An education is nothing to squander: so far, every parent has been more than happy with our policy and it has been enforced.

EDIT: Saw an error that had to be fixed.
                  JLS
                  MFC
                  51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
                  Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Comment

the explorers and juniors are supposed to keep all grades above a 75 (we do number averages here).

what about leaving school for calls? is anyone allowed to do that? as long as juniors have good grades, when the pager goes off, we're allowed to leave class for it. anyone else have this privilege?

Comment

Originally posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
                      the explorers and juniors are supposed to keep all grades above a 75 (we do number averages here).

what about leaving school for calls? is anyone allowed to do that? as long as juniors have good grades, when the pager goes off, we're allowed to leave class for it. anyone else have this privilege?
                      Oh jesus, if you really want to know this, do a search. I'm not trying to be an *** but people feel extremely strong about this topic and it has been discussed many times before with many heated arguments. Please for everyone's sake, just search it!

I'm just looking out for ya!
                      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

we have to have a 2.0 but are grades are never checked because most of our explorers are in colledge
                        www.wildlandfire.com
                        Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Comment

they're in college? you can only be an explorer from ages 14-18 really. my department has guidelines that say once you're 16 you have to become a jr (but still an exp) and once you're 18 you have to become a sr. member, and attend ff1 or you'll be thrown out. so people in college can't be an explorer in my town.

Comment

Sorry, RFRD, I do not believe you are getting through to the young man. But you have gave it good try. Let the flaming begin. LOL

Comment

here are program is 14-21 we dont have jr.'s and we arent a voli department so you have to get hired like everyone else
                              www.wildlandfire.com
                              Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Comment

Explorers be definition can be from age 14-21.

In my department, explorers can respond to calls starting at age 15. At age 18, they generally join the regular fire department. They could stay an explorer until 21 but that would be kinda pointless.

Ironically enough, the neighboring department's "Juniors" have to stay juniors until they are 21.
                                Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X