• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFxplr326
    replied
    Originally posted by alpha4 View Post
    I don't know where else to post this so,

The FD here is all career, so i have no idea how Volunteer fire dept.'s work. I know that they are given pagers, so is it who ever makes it to the station the fastest, and gets on the trucks that go on the calls? or is it like shift days. And do they spend the night at the station? or get paged out in the middle of the night to run calls. Can someone please explain., Thx

O yea, and what does the first person at the station do and stuff.
    Volunteer stations don't all run the same. Some don't have shifts, some do.
    I'll speak for Northwood (which is not the department I'm explorer with)
    During the week days, we have 2 paramedics and/or emts on duty 0800-1700 hours. They respond to all calls in the city in a mini-pumper. For the rest of the guys, basically the first person who gets there goes to the radio/watch room and clears the call through dispatch to varify the address/location. It's who ever makes the trucks first that go.
    Outside the 0800-1700 hours block (middle of the night), there's a medic unit (first responder staffed by a medic or an emt-I) that responds city-wide to all calls. The first person to make it to the station clears the call. First people to get ont he truck go.

Like I said, not all vollie departments run the same as others do. I'm only familiar with the 2 departments I'm connected with. They basically run the same.

Leave a comment:

• malana1
    replied
    The answer is both. Some VFD's do shift work and staff the station 24/7, while others carry pagers and respond when they can. It just depends on call volume and what works for them.

Leave a comment:

• alpha4
    started a topic Volunteers

Volunteers

I don't know where else to post this so,

The FD here is all career, so i have no idea how Volunteer fire dept.'s work. I know that they are given pagers, so is it who ever makes it to the station the fastest, and gets on the trucks that go on the calls? or is it like shift days. And do they spend the night at the station? or get paged out in the middle of the night to run calls. Can someone please explain., Thx

O yea, and what does the first person at the station do and stuff.
    Last edited by alpha4; 02-06-2007, 09:16 PM.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X