A couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions

Well I am new to the boards and am thinking of getting with the explorer program with my local FD. I am a Junior in HS and have wanted to be in the military my whole life but recently,about 4 months ago decided I wanna be a firefighter. Anyways here are my Q's

1. Do I have to join Boyscouts to be in the explorer program?
    2. DO explorers go on real calls or just do drills?
    3.DO you guys get a lot of crap from the real firefighters(not that it matters, just curious)?
    4. Is all the gear and equipment supplied?

thanks guys and its good 2 be on the boards

Originally posted by TFD2008 View Post
    Well I am new to the boards and am thinking of getting with the explorer program with my local FD. I am a Junior in HS and have wanted to be in the military my whole life but recently,about 4 months ago decided I wanna be a firefighter. Anyways here are my Q's

3.DO you guys get a lot of crap from the real firefighters(not that it matters, just curious)?

i dont know have ur post worked but i will tell u have mine does... u dont have to join boyscout and gear is suppled (u have to buy the webbing and pocket knift though)... we get to go in run when we get cleared out and some firefighters will give u crap but most are pretty nice...

Comment

Glad to have you here.

1) If you join the explorers you will become a member of the BSA as an explorer. So no, you do not have to go to a local Boy Scout troop and join, prior to joining the explorer post.

2) It depends on the department and on the Standard Operating Procedures and Rules and Regulations of the particular department. Many departments allow their explorer to be extremely active in the operations of the department (within the law and BSA regulations). Many however do not. Like I said, it varies from department to department. Here, we are not yet allowed to go on calls, but we have an extremely good relationship with our FD and assist them with alot of things.
      3) Our explorers have a very good relationship with the firefighters on the department so any "crap" that we get, is all in good clean fun, and is the same crap that they give each other. I am good friends with a number of our FF's and hang out with them on a regular basis. A good relationship with the firefighters can also help on a scene or at the station, because they know what you know, and they can trust you. Our firefighters and our FD is very nice and accepting to our post and we work very well together. Just yesterday for example we had a drill at the station. Even firefighters who aren't advisors decided to help us and during off time we ended up washing all the trucks.
      4) All REQUIRED equipment should be supplied by the post/department. Any other equipment that you may carry (knives, tools, webbing/carabiners, etc.) you will have to provide 99% of the time. One thing that you will learn, is that some posts have better equipment than others, and that is just a fact of life. We used to have some really old ratty gear and helmets, but over the past 4 years, the department has replaced every set of turnout gear and helmet on the department, so they gave the old ones to the post.

If you have any other questions about anything, do not hesitate to ask.

We are here to help. Welcome again.
      Last edited by backsteprescue; 01-28-2007, 05:06 PM.
      ------------------------------------
      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
      ------------------------------------

Comment

1. No you do not need to join the boyscout.
        2. Explorers run real calls and train during drill and meeting nights.
        3. No you need to worry about it, dude you need to worry about is when they arent making fun of you.
        4. Yes all gear is supplied.

Comment

yo fl explorer what fd you with? I am tryin to get with TFD

Comment

No you do not have to be a BoyScout
            Yes you do go to real calls i have gone to tons of calls and we can go to drills to
            you get some crap but not to much
            Yes all your gear should be supplied to you, I have bought some things that help when you are at calls or drills

Comment

we dont have to do boy scouts and yeah we respond to alarms, structure fire, car fire anything that doesnt run the risk of blood bornes or us dieing. the gear they suplly us is from the late 80's, i aquirered new gear so i stand out.

Comment

yeah, we dont have to be in boyscouts either
                Last edited by alpha4; 02-02-2007, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Our Explorers do run calls but they cannot enter any IDLH areas, up to and including entering a collapse zone or entering a burning structure. They do get gear provided but it is our hand-me-downs once we got our GXtreme gear.
                  FireFighter/EMT
                  Rescue 1

IACOJ
                  FTM-PTB

Comment

EXPLORERS IS A BRANCH OF THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA. IF YOU ARE AN EXPLORER YOUR IN THE BOY SCOUTS. YOU ARE NOT A BOY SCOUT. BUT ARE STILL IN SCOUTS.

THE BSA has Boy Scout Troops, Cub Scout Packs, Explorer Posts, Venture Crew, Varsity Teams, And Sea Scout Crews. All Different Divisons of BSA.

If your post in not part of the BSA, and it is called an Explorer Post then you are violating a Trademark name.

Most Explorers I've known just don't like to admit that they are in the Boy Scouts.

Oh and I work for the Boy Scouts of America.
                    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Comment

Lot of different experiences here:

I was an Explorer with the Green Bay Fire Dept...went in the service as a FF...went to school for FF...Now I am a FF/paramedic for Green bay. I am also a post advisor for the Explorer program.

For the first question...Are you in Boy Scouts? Simple answer is YES. The program is called Learning for Life and the Explorers only affiliation to the BSA is insurance purposes only. So if doing a ride along...something happens, the city is not liable.

For the other questions those will vary by department. Some dept have a cadet program, may call it Explorers, but as Redneck said...Explorers is part of BSA...if you are not...then you're not an Explorer.

Green Bay allows Explorers to do ride alongs, they can stay at the station, run calls, help on EMS (carry bags, get stuff so on). They are NOT permitted to do fireground operations. Again liability, also Explorers do not have required training to do fireground ops. We do a variety of fireground training throughout the year and try to get an abandoned house to tear up and train in once a year.

We do supply some old gear that the Explorer can use during a ride along.

As for the Explorer/FF relations...they are good with our dept. New people have to feel their way around...not every FF is receptive right away. The best thing is for the Explorer to jump right in and help with house chores, DON'T ACT LIKE AN EXPERT.....Remember you just know very little, no matter what program you are with, or how much time you have with your Post.

I feel Explorers are a great way to learn about the career and lets you see if it is a job you want to do.

As for the Explorers who can do fireground operations. Either your dept is hurting for people, or taking a huge risk allowing you to act as a FF without having certifications. Again some are cadet programs and teach you to be FF. A true Explorer program should only be to show what the job entails...not put you in harms way.
                      The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

yo fl explorer what fd you with? I am tryin to get with TFD
                        You try to getting with Tavares ?

Comment

im going to become an explorer next semptember when im 14 and in high school,and i would just like to know does any one know what its like in the fdny's explorer program and also what if your already a boy scout?

Comment

does any one have any experiance as an explorer in new york city?i was wondering because next september i am going to become an explorer and wanted to find out rules and stuff.

Comment

1. in my station/town you don't have to since it is a branch of the boy scouts
                              2. we do both
                              3. no, we actually are respected in the station, don't know about the calls
                              4. they try to get it to us as fast as possible, sometimes it will take a little bit

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X