No announcement yet.

lifeflight/air med-vac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose i could answer the question now that I've had my fun...

We setup landing zones in accordance with the helicopter's guidelines. They want (i think) 70x100ft of open space and an standing by. In the daytime we use cones to mark the LZ. At night, we have landing zone strobes. We don't have roads big enough here but there are plenty of fields.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
      The enlightened one speaks....
      I can only imagine the fun that ensues for his engineers and officers when he's riding in to a scene...

(Beavis as Cornholio-type voice)
      "OMG OMFG!! FIRE FIRE!! Cool! Arewethereyet? CanIhonktheairhorn?!?! DoIgetaradio? CanItalktodispatch??? Arewethereyet?! Whycan'twegofaster!!!!! OMG thisissocool!!!!!!!!"
      My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

Originally posted by jrscvfs View Post
        just wonderin, how many of yall assist on life flight or some fom of air med-vac. we have a landin field less than half a mile from the station so we're there evrytime!
        Is the air service a function of the local paid ambulance service?

And if so, do they just let you run out and flag them down any ole place or is there a class you must attend where they school you on proper communications and requirements for safe landing operations.

Comment

Originally posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post
          Depends on the service. Sometimes yes, sometimes, no.

And if so, do they just let you run out and flag them down any ole place or is there a class you must attend where they school you on proper communications and requirements for safe landing operations.
          So far my experience is that the air services prefer to teach/certify LZ personnel directly with their own pilots and medics. If I was a pilot, I would not be interested in landing where someone just ran out and flagged me down.

Just as the fire IC can choose to suspend any and all operations to protect his crew, the pilot's first priority is the safety of [b]his[/i] crew and can choose to not land for any reason (including clueless LZ officers).
          You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
          IACOJ Power Company Liason
          When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
          and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricHoser View Post
            Depends on the service. Sometimes yes, sometimes, no.

So far my experience is that the air services prefer to teach/certify LZ personnel directly with their own pilots and medics. If I was a pilot, I would not be interested in landing where someone just ran out and flagged me down.

Just as the fire IC can choose to suspend any and all operations to protect his crew, the pilot's first priority is the safety of [b]his[/i] crew and can choose to not land for any reason (including clueless LZ officers).

I was referring to the operating area of the original poster.

But that was a good informational post. We use Acadian Ambulance Service, and it is as you described. They give us the class, and if we get on the radio with them and we aren't on their list, they won't land on our orders. In good visibility though, they usually land themselves in open fields.

Comment

Here there are two private choppers in the State, but mostly we use the Delaware State Police Medivac choppers. Kent Center (dispatch) gives them the coordinates when they respond, and when they are in the area, they contact command so we can inform them of where exactly the LZ is going to be set up.
              Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
              (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Comment

the ones here are part of the hospitals in the state

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X